Sudden battery level drops?

Guest Kaiser Wilhelm II

Guest Kaiser Wilhelm II

Anyone else seen this - the battery apparently loses a lot of charge (when device is in standby/off mode) over a short period of time.

I've just seen it drop from something like >90% yesterday evening to 50% over the course of the day today and it was off all this time - I haven't even got the phone radio running.

I've checked and I haven't left anything like WiFi or GPS running either, which should be disabled when I hit the 'off' button anyway.

Yes I've experienced the same.

Usually fully charged at night then in the morning the battery has depleted completely, I've noticed the alarm didn't go off, picked it up to reset thinking it had frozen and actually it was dead, didn't even have enough power to complete the boot up on switch on.

It doesn't happen every day tho.....?

Guest Kaiser Wilhelm II
Yes I've experienced the same.

Usually fully charged at night then in the morning the battery has depleted completely, I've noticed the alarm didn't go off, picked it up to reset thinking it had frozen and actually it was dead, didn't even have enough power to complete the boot up on switch on.

It doesn't happen every day tho.....?

The SPB battery meter which displays an estimated time left seems to now have recalibrated itself, possibly as a result of said drops in the past. It used to give up to five hours life left when the battery was fully charged, now it indicates a little over three.... ;)

I think I found my solution.

If I choose to disable 3G overnight the battery may only go down by 3%.

Tried it the last few days, using GPRS instead of HSPDA unless I really need the speed and have had 3 days from one charge with general use.

Apparently if you are on the edge of 3G coverage the device is always upping the power in order to maintain the connection and that uses up a lot of juice, by switching the phone band to 2G there is a huge difference in power consumption.

I found a cab to add the 3G -> 2G -> 3G switch into the HTC home for ease, or you can do it the long way; Start>Settings>Phone>Band each time.

Guest montecristoffon

I'm also interested by this kind of little tools, very useful to preserve energy.

Because the each time 'Start>Settings>Phone>Band' is really boring.

Thanks in advance jonlad

;)

Guest jimbouk

Just have a look over at XDA developers Kaiser Forum. There's various apps that will either add 3g/2g switching to your comm manager.

And to the poster who was surprised about losing 20% of his battery after 1 hour H surfing on a train - that's normal. Using the 3g chip, using H and doing so whilst jumping from cell to cell, is going to be about the heaviest power drain your device will see.

Guest creamhackered
Just have a look over at XDA developers Kaiser Forum. There's various apps that will either add 3g/2g switching to your comm manager.

And to the poster who was surprised about losing 20% of his battery after 1 hour H surfing on a train - that's normal. Using the 3g chip, using H and doing so whilst jumping from cell to cell, is going to be about the heaviest power drain your device will see.

I've heard horror stories of people installing those and breaking the comm manager all together. Do you have a link to one that works properly and just adds an extra button to the comm manager for switching.

Guest jimbouk

Out of respect to Modaco, I won't post links to apps.

But do an advanced search of xda's kaiser forum for "band switcher" and then read the threads to ensure that the one you choose does what you want.

You need to install an app that the extra com mgr button controls, or you can install the app and add a shortcut to it in the HTC home fave apps screen.

Guest Mr.Clark

Well. Doing that while listening to music would be even worse ;)

Thanks for the hints... *wanders off to find one*

Guest ScrewlooseAZ

I'm using my Kaiser on T-mobile in USA, so I don't have 3G capabilites. But my battery life on my Kaiser is pretty bad still. I've run it dead and fully charged it about 4 times now and it is better than when I first got it. Although I still think the battery life is less than impressive.

I've noticed that Active Sync seems to be the source of my battery drain. I used the old WM5 schedule work around, but Acitvesync was still poping up whenever it felt like it. So in addition to that I set the peak time so that it only should come on for 1min a day. Even adding this Activesync still turns itself on, but it appears to be using less battery power.

So who knows? Wish there was an "OFF" button for that program, that would not mess up USB sync.

Guest Kaiser Wilhelm II

Thing is, my battery did the 'huge drops' thing with everything switched off - including the phone module. Just leaving the phone overnight resulted in the drops.

It did that a couple of times but hasn't done it again. As I posted though, SPB battery meter (the one in the SPB GPRS monitor plugin) has now recalibrated itself to 3hrs for a full charge instead of 5hrs as before.

I think I'll have to try running it low a few times to see if a full recharge helps things out.

Can you please tell me the name of this CAB file?

I'm also interested by this kind of little tools, very useful to preserve energy.

Because the each time 'Start>Settings>Phone>Band' is really boring.

Thanks in advance jonlad

;)

The cab is already on MoDaCo

You must make sure comm manager is not running before you run the cab.

Start>Settings>System>Memory>Running Progs

And soft reset once the cab has been run.

It doesn't add another button within the comm manager it changes the "Data connection" to "3G>2G>3G" you can still disconnect by hitting the data icon at the top of your screen and selecting disconnect anytime.

post-35798-1195770232_thumb.jpg

3G Cab link Scroll a few posts up the page ! -weird don't know why that happens

Edited by jonlad

Hmm, strange. On my TyTN II I got 10 buttons now after this install

Does it work though Gizmos?

Maybe the cab has been updated since I found it.

If you want the version I had PM me your e-mail and I will send it through to you.

Jonlad