Another question - about automatic email downloading

Guest katiea

I actually think this didn't work properly on my old (MDA Vario) phone either. I seem to remember that periodically it decided it couldn't be bothered to download emails on a schedule (we're talking POP) and it either waited hours and hours or it only thought "hey, I'm connected" when I did something else like send or receive a text message or make a phone call. And my new Kaiser seems to be doing the same...

Anyone else found this, or got any answers?

thanks

Katie

Guest Snooginsguy
I actually think this didn't work properly on my old (MDA Vario) phone either. I seem to remember that periodically it decided it couldn't be bothered to download emails on a schedule (we're talking POP) and it either waited hours and hours or it only thought "hey, I'm connected" when I did something else like send or receive a text message or make a phone call. And my new Kaiser seems to be doing the same...

Anyone else found this, or got any answers?

thanks

Katie

Yeah, there are a few things that seem to cause this, at least if it is not downloading while the phone is in standby mode. If you have the HTC Home screen active, (the one with the big digital clock etc.) you may have to disable or uninstall it. Also, the Task manager seems to adversely affect downloading emails, and needs to be disabled from the top toolbar. (This is the three-bar thing that pops down to a list of running programs when you click on it.) To disable it, you go to Settings > System > Task Manager and in the task manager, click on the Button tab and uncheck the "Enable Quick Menu on Today screen." (This is on the AT&T Tilt ROM, if you have a kaiser or a cooked ROM it may be different.)

Doing these 2 steps fixed my email download problems. Also, if you go to xda-developers.com and check out the Kaiser forum, there is a big thread called Kaiser not waking up to check emails...why? that you should check out. There is also a tool there called KaiserTweak that has a couple of settings that may help this problem too.

Hope this helps.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=332362

That is the one that is referred to above. Very interesting reading... There are plenty of workarounds (one which works pretty damned well.. there is a value set to 1 in the registry when it should be set to 15, at least, by default) but really this is still a bug. And a very annoying one.

Anyway read that thread, as I've input my progress as have a lot of other people.