Kasier & the iPhone

Guest bocsta

OK so I am the happy owner of a Kaiser (aka V1615). You first get the device and think wow... sexy, fast and has all the bells and whistles....then you get used to its speed and want it faster ...just natural that after a while

but why why why when I see those iPhone ads does that thing look so much easier & sexier

You may say its the marketing but that finger slides accross that screen so smoothly.

Why does the internet on that ad look so much faster that what my Kaiser does. I thought the iPhone has no 3g so why is that browser screen so quick

Someone put my mind at ease thats its just the marketing gurus conning us!

Guest Mr.Clark
I thought the iPhone has no 3g so why is that browser screen so quick
Because for 99% of all iPhone web browsing demos, it's connected to WiFi, not EDGE.

3G (and HDSPA) are noticeably faster than GPRS (and EDGE).

Going from GPRS to HDSPA is like going from dial-up to broadband.

Guest jimbouk

The video you watch in their ads is best possible case scenario. The web page they access is probably cached locally on the device or is cached on a server that the iphone is connected to via wireless - with the wifi access point probably about five feet away - and nothing allowed to interfere.

If HTC made TV ads for the Tytn2, it would look as quick.

The video you watch in their ads is best possible case scenario. The web page they access is probably cached locally on the device or is cached on a server that the iphone is connected to via wireless - with the wifi access point probably about five feet away - and nothing allowed to interfere.

Browsing on Opera Mini is about as fast as Safari (because it it is pre-rendered), but Safari IS quick what ever way you look at it.

The experience of using the multi touch is outstanding. Really really fun.

It is just a shame the rest of the phone is rather outdated.

Guest Kaiser Wilhelm II
OK so I am the happy owner of a Kaiser (aka V1615). You first get the device and think wow... sexy, fast and has all the bells and whistles....then you get used to its speed and want it faster ...just natural that after a while

but why why why when I see those iPhone ads does that thing look so much easier & sexier

You may say its the marketing but that finger slides accross that screen so smoothly.

Why does the internet on that ad look so much faster that what my Kaiser does. I thought the iPhone has no 3g so why is that browser screen so quick

Someone put my mind at ease thats its just the marketing gurus conning us!

The iPhone looks easier and sexier because it is.

I'm a Kaiser owner and chose it over the iPhone because of features like the keyboard, GPS and 3G but there's no doubt that Apple have completely trumped MS when it comes to making a smooth, sexy, intuitive, easy to use handheld device.

It's a sad indictment that a platform which has been on the go for almost a decade (it started off on PDA) can be so easily beaten, nay annhilated, by a relative newcomer to the phone biz. But that is what has happened.

Looking at my Kaiser and comparing it to my years old PocketPC 2002 device, I'm struck by just how little has changed WRT the gui. And whilst that GUI may be fine for a 5 year old OS running on a large(ish) handheld tablet, it doesn't really cut the mustard for a day to day phone.

I still wouldn't choose a current iPhone over the Kaiser because I like the Kaiser's feature set and it acts as an upgrade to my PDA but when the next gen iPhone comes out and if they have opened up the platform like they promised, I'll seriously consider jumping ship.

Edited by Kaiser Wilhelm II

Guest hotphil

I think the differences can be summed up as the iPhone being a great phone/mp3 player to show your mates in the pub, but the Kaiser is a business device - an extension of the office with a few extras bolted on.

the target markets are very different.

would I have an iPhone over a kaiser? no. would I have an iPhone as well as a kaiser? possibly. but not until gen-2. "never ever first gen ever" is something I live by these days.

Guest CorruptedSanity

Yep, iPhone is more of a media phone. Great for music, movies and the like. The TyTN II is a workhorse!

Ive integrated so much of my important data into it. I have the safe app which contains stuff like my passport number to insurance policy number to my wife's contact lens prescription.

My phone goes on silent during meetings without me wondering whether ive switched it to silent or not.

Camera sucks though!! And video player sucks.

Let me have a word! I own both the Kaiser and the iphone. When it comes to day to day usage the Kaiser beats any phone any where.

In terms of sheer beauty, fantastic screen play, i am certain there is no phone in the world to touch the iphone for internet browsing. The sleek beauty is a device for all class. I can even kiss it when my wife is not around.From the day i bought it, i just cannot put it down.I salute you Mr Job.A job well done.

Guest montecristoffon

That's it.

The Apple master word is Ergonomy. From years, they're also expert in advertisements and teasing ;)

Integral finger touch navigation and all-public accessibility will be the next challenge and everybody must admit that iPhone opens the way.

I'm a TyTN II owner and all my quest is to customize it in that way (hard work :( ).

Except that, Kaiser is a really wonderful machine.

Guest jimbouk

I was playing with a mate's Iphone last night. The on screen keyboard is pretty slick (i like the visual feedback) but I hate how difficult it is to put the cursor in the middle of a line of text (ie if you are changing a mail server's details and just want to change mail.xxxxxxxxxx to pop.xxxxxxxx)

The touch control when looking at pics etc is amazing and the quality of the screen for watching video is something else compared to the Kaiser.

Considering how easy it was for him to set up his email (using imap off his exchange server), I think a lot of people who would find a WM6 deice a bit OTT would be perfectly happy with the iphone.

But... surfing was slow over Edge and it kept popping up details of the wifi nets in the area (and none were The Cloud and thus any good).

(Mighty good looking though...)

Guest tsutton

I think you will find it apply to every hardware/items/etc out there that appeared on TV ads.

For example, the Pissy World advert, you can see how fast the laptop/PC booted up, opening applications, super smooth and perfect video playback, etc

I'm sure the UI on the Iphone is fantastic, and with a good data connection (eg wifi) the browsing is that quick. The software is good and it has a pretty meaty processor and video hardware (faster than the kaiser's) so it's going to look slick in comparison.

Unfortunately, that's about where the attraction stops for me. I've been using media and web-savvy touchscreen phones for the last four or five years (starting with the Sony Ericsson P800, a vastly underrated but great phone), and while I'm sure the Iphone does all that fun stuff well, it completely falls down on anything practical. Unsurprisingly my office doesn't run Itunes, so it can't sync my contacts or calendar. It has no office apps, so I can't be productive with it. It has no third party support (yet) so I can't use any of the other apps I rely on. Couple all that with a data connection that (away from wifi) is slower than the phone I was using last year, and it's just not very compelling!

As others have said, the Kaiser is a workhorse that may not have the same buzz about it, but still gets the job done in a much more complete way than the Iphone is capable of. In the real world it's just a lot more useful (Google maps actually knows where you are for example), and for that I can accept a few compromises in the UI department. At the end of the day, once you get used to how things work on both phones, and the initial excitement of that new flashy UI fades - as it inevitably will - you're just stuck with what you can do... and the Kaiser does more, undeniably.

Guest jimbouk

One thing I was impressed with is that my mate runs bootcamp on his macbook pro as his office is windows and he wants mac at home. His iphone syncs music/pics/video seamlessly with the mac (obviously) but it also syncs calendar and contacts easily with the windows os on the same notebook.

One thing I was impressed with is that my mate runs bootcamp on his macbook pro as his office is windows and he wants mac at home. His iphone syncs music/pics/video seamlessly with the mac (obviously) but it also syncs calendar and contacts easily with the windows os on the same notebook.

Presumably he's running Itunes in Windows too though? AFAIK that's the only way to sync the Iphone - which is fine for home, but a bit out of place on an office server.

Guest Random Tox
I'm sure the UI on the Iphone is fantastic, and with a good data connection (eg wifi) the browsing is that quick. The software is good and it has a pretty meaty processor and video hardware (faster than the kaiser's) so it's going to look slick in comparison.

Unfortunately, that's about where the attraction stops for me. I've been using media and web-savvy touchscreen phones for the last four or five years (starting with the Sony Ericsson P800, a vastly underrated but great phone), and while I'm sure the Iphone does all that fun stuff well, it completely falls down on anything practical. Unsurprisingly my office doesn't run Itunes, so it can't sync my contacts or calendar. It has no office apps, so I can't be productive with it. It has no third party support (yet) so I can't use any of the other apps I rely on. Couple all that with a data connection that (away from wifi) is slower than the phone I was using last year, and it's just not very compelling!

As others have said, the Kaiser is a workhorse that may not have the same buzz about it, but still gets the job done in a much more complete way than the Iphone is capable of. In the real world it's just a lot more useful (Google maps actually knows where you are for example), and for that I can accept a few compromises in the UI department. At the end of the day, once you get used to how things work on both phones, and the initial excitement of that new flashy UI fades - as it inevitably will - you're just stuck with what you can do... and the Kaiser does more, undeniably.

I'd agree with the posts in favour of the Kaiser over the iPhone - other than the interface, the iPhone isn't technically as good - but with the release of the HTC Polaris (Touch Cruise) which has a vertually identical spec as the Kaiser and the Touch Flo interface, I think the iPhone should get a good run for it's money (assuming there's any justice in the world!). The only problem I've got now is do I get a slide out keyboard (Kaiser) or on screen keyboard (Polaris)? Anybody got any views as to which would be easier to use in the long run? When viewing websites, for example, does the on screen keyboard get in the way?

• 1 month later...
Guest dr_nick

i had a good play with the iphone in apple shop in southampton a few times now, mostly as an alternative to finding an internet caf...:)

there are a number of unspported shortfallings that mean i would not be interested in it as a device for me:

1. only syncing with itunes - monopolisation

2. no cut and past facility for moving text or files from one location to another

3. no third part applications (i run medical textbooks for work)

4. no stereo over bluetooth - criminal for what is supposed to be cutting edge music tec!

5. i dont actually like the keyboard, found it difficult to use - give me thumbpad or tengo thumb anyday

is a lovely intuitive interface and slick formfactor though!

just my £0.02 worth :D

dr_nick

Hi Everybody! Hi Dr Nick! :)

That Southampton Apple shop is good isn't it. My most fun game is go in and pick up the front row remote and press the button very quickly whilst rotating. I was doing it the other day explaining to my girlfriend that most of the machines allow any remote by default, and set off front row on the machine next to me... Where a (now very disgruntled looking) Apple employee was working.. He gave me such evils :D It was worth it, proves my points (can't stand Apple stuff either, but it is so pretty)

/Wow, that woman swallowed a baby!

Edited by lozzd