Installing Vista on the Eee 701 - i've done it and it works!

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi everyone, I've just got Vista working on my EEE and just want to say thanks to all the guys who left instructions for how to get it up and running. I must say that I am suprised at how quick it is considering I am waiting for my 2Gb upgrade and am still running 512Mb. Working in broadcasting, being able to play with nice kit and being a bit of a gadget freak I'm not usually impressed but with this little wonder, I am.

Just a few questions:

Paul, why move winsxs to an external card rather than keeping it on the internal ssd? Are you installing apps to the internal memory or do you want it to have free space for a swap file etc or are you planning on dual booting with Linux? I am keeping the internal drive just for essential OS files, anti virus and bluetooth software. I'll then put Open Office etc on my SD card.

Anyone else having problems with Windows Update? I can't get updates and get error 80070011. I googled it and it seemed like a disk issue, maybe to do with trying to copy to another device. I moved my software distribution folder over to the SD card and could browse to it using command prompt going through c:\windows\softwaredistribution and the service started up ok. I tried deleting the junction and the service re-created the folder when it started but still have te same problem.

Guest Paul (MVP)

When I relocated the SoftwareDistribution directory it did some odd things at first, but IIRC I deleted and recreated it and it was fine again.

Currently running XPSP3 on my Eee...

P

When I relocated the SoftwareDistribution directory it did some odd things at first, but IIRC I deleted and recreated it and it was fine again.

Currently running XPSP3 on my Eee...

P

What is SP3 like? I've heard that it does funny things to Office 2007

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LXSJason

I'm having a slight problem with Vista and my EEE 4g....

I keep having 1 unknown device in my device manager (windows update didn't fix this)

But I think the problem is, that everytime vista starts up, ACPI "crashes" and is to be terminated due to an error...

any toughts on this?

-edit: problem fixed

problem was i didnt run the ACPI install elevated as administrator.

Edited by LXSJason

Hi all,

I came over from eeeuser.com to ask a question about running Vista on the Eee. I got it installed on my 8g one and it's working fine, the only issue is that it appears I vlited ReadyBoost out of the installation. I have a class 6 SDHC card that I wanted to use for this purpose and I'm kindof miffed that I can't.

Assuming it is vlited out do you know of any way I can get it back, short of redoing my vlite? Everything is fine otherwise and the system is completely set up, so I would rather not go that route.

Thanks so much!

Also has anyone noticed that the FN-volume keys don't work in Vista? The wireless and brightness ones and all other FN keys do, but the audio ones fail to work. I tried installing the RealTek drivers to see if that might help but it doesn't.

Can someone please explan how I gain full admin permission/ownership of Winsxs?? I have tried everything but it just does not work....I am down to just 700MB left on my C drive & am worried I will run out of space, despite installing apps to my SDHC. I havent even installed Office (or OpenOffice) yet!!

I reslly would appreciate your help.

Guest LXSJason

@iakudi: rightclick, properties, security, advanced, owner....

3 tries so far, and 2 tries ended up in BSOD....

3rd try I couldnt even delete winsxs.moved anymore *still 1gb left* and d:\windows\winsxs was 1.26.

dont even know anymore what is used of what... so now im gonna reinstall... and try to use movefile to move from c to d :)

*basically skipping the .moved part, and just straight moving to d*

>>

- command prompt, 'mkdir d:\windows\winsxs'

- 'mklink /J c:\windows\winsxs.link d:\windows\winsxs'

- 'rmdir d:\windows\winsxs.moved'

- 'movefile c:\windows\winsxs d:\windows\winsxs'

- 'movefile c:\windows\winsxs.link c:\windows\winsxs'.

is what im gonna try... *wish me luck*

Edited by LXSJason

Guest Hal 9000
hey im stuck when i try to install vista it says "The selected partition requires at least 5060 MB free space" and wont let me continue with the install what should i do

How can vLite remove this limitation. I am still stuck on this check.

Thanks.

Guest LXSJason
How can vLite remove this limitation. I am still stuck on this check.

Thanks.

I used the newest vlite... and didnt run into any checks... maybe check the "removal list" and see if theres a memorycheck in there?

Guest George Stanley

Hello all,

I tried the steps outlined here for installing vista and it all worked fine (thanks, they they are truly great instructions!) up until the point where I relocated the winsxs directory. When rebooted the machine BSOD's with a critical kernel error. It will however boot in safe mode.

Windows update also doesn't work if moved and then linked to.

My winsxs folder is now winsxs.moved and junctioned, its just that I can only junction to directories on the internal ssd. I have the feeling that its a permissions error but I can't seem to work out how or why, both directories on the sd are set to be fully controlled by everyone.

Its possible that I removed something using vLite that I shouldn't, but I didn't edit anything that explicitly mentioned permissions...

If anyone could offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated!

Guest LXSJason
Hello all,

I tried the steps outlined here for installing vista and it all worked fine (thanks, they they are truly great instructions!) up until the point where I relocated the winsxs directory. When rebooted the machine BSOD's with a critical kernel error. It will however boot in safe mode.

Windows update also doesn't work if moved and then linked to.

My winsxs folder is now winsxs.moved and junctioned, its just that I can only junction to directories on the internal ssd. I have the feeling that its a permissions error but I can't seem to work out how or why, both directories on the sd are set to be fully controlled by everyone.

Its possible that I removed something using vLite that I shouldn't, but I didn't edit anything that explicitly mentioned permissions...

If anyone could offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated!

exactly the same problem i'm running into at the moment... tought it was my sd reader at first...

just for fun, something my EEE+vista is dooing... upon renaming winsxs to *insert anything* and reboot... i get a bsod, but the reboot after that works perfectly again... hehehe... ive came to think that the moving part had actually worked.. but reality is that its still using the renamed winsxs on the SSD :)

I also tried to install Vista on my EEEpc.

Windows Update doesn't work after the modification, but I think there a problem with the permission... I'll try it later.

My question was about the Vista drivers and especially the ACPI. I used the XP version, and with this version (like my old notebook Asus V6V) I can't use the volume buttons.

With my V6V, I installed an ACPI from another notebook and now it works, but I can't find one that works with the EEEpc.

Anyone has found a way to use this buttons with vista ?

Thanks.

Guest George Stanley

I've made some progress on this issue so I thought I would repost.

I changed two things since my first attempt and now I can sucessfully redirect directories to the SD card. I'm fairly sure I know which change was the positive one, but I will post both just incase.

1) My memory card was originally formatted NTFS, I reformatted it to FAT32. I'm fairly sure this didn't make a difference, but I didn't test.

2) Rather than using NTFS junction points, I used a Vista symbolic link. Just replace "/J" with "/D". The command to link to the SD card then reads:

mklink /D c:\windows\winsxs d:\windows\winsxs

This is what did the trick for me. The reasoning behind this is that Junction points have quite a few bugs, one of which is being a bit dodgy when stretched across different volumes. However mileage may vary.

The limitation of this method is that Vista Symbolic Links will not work under XP or Linux (I think, not actually sure on that one). Although they work alot like unix symlinks they are actually "fake" and done by the filesystem driver, so they will only work on Vista (or something else that has been explicitly made to follow them).

As for the ACPI issue, I'm getting the same problem. I've just realised its a rather funny bug with the ACPI drivers being designed for XP, and Vista having a per application volume control :) When they go to change the volume, Vista inteprets it as a volume change for the parent application, namely the EEE pc Services Application (you can see this if you open the mixer and then watch the bars for that app specifically). The ASUS ACPI prog needs to be swapped out for one that is designed for Vista rather than XP, which probably won't happen any time soon. Freeware apps exist that can replicate the functionality, such as this one:

http://www.freevistafiles.com/Softarium-co...me-Hotkeys.html

Hope this helps!

Guest cdcellular

ive managed to get the vista iso down to 621mb. After i install i have 1gb free space and winsxs directory is 1gb. If i dont move the winsxs directory what exactly will happen? (besides running out of space) Will Vista crash?

Tried the installation, sucessfully untill the first reboot after scheduling the renaming/moving, but upon reboot windows will not work, not in safe mode or any mode. Reinstalled vista, followed the instructions again, and the same problem arose. In the command prompt it shows the two pending moves without error before reboot. Any advice?

Guest smirali
I've made some progress on this issue so I thought I would repost.

I changed two things since my first attempt and now I can sucessfully redirect directories to the SD card. I'm fairly sure I know which change was the positive one, but I will post both just incase.

1) My memory card was originally formatted NTFS, I reformatted it to FAT32. I'm fairly sure this didn't make a difference, but I didn't test.

2) Rather than using NTFS junction points, I used a Vista symbolic link. Just replace "/J" with "/D". The command to link to the SD card then reads:

mklink /D c:\windows\winsxs d:\windows\winsxs

This is what did the trick for me. The reasoning behind this is that Junction points have quite a few bugs, one of which is being a bit dodgy when stretched across different volumes. However mileage may vary.

The limitation of this method is that Vista Symbolic Links will not work under XP or Linux (I think, not actually sure on that one). Although they work alot like unix symlinks they are actually "fake" and done by the filesystem driver, so they will only work on Vista (or something else that has been explicitly made to follow them).

can you specify the correct steps for moving this cursed winsxs folder? Did you just replace /D with /J and really worked?

Thanks...

P.S: I have allready destroy one Vista installation!

Guest tetrahedron

i followed the instructions exactly 3 times and it didnt work, kept getting BSODs

so I decided to use a fully functional, non vLited disc of Vista, booted from it, went into the repair console and did:

'xcopy c:\windows\winsxs.moved\*.* d:\windows\winsxs.moved\'

so far it is copying everything, long process as we know, hopefully this will work and I can then rename d:\windows\winsxs.moved to d:\windows\winsxs followed:

Go to a command prompt (again!) and type 'rmdir c:\windows\winsxs'. Then, type 'mklink /J c:\windows\winsxs d:\windows\winsxs'.

- To be sure everything is happy, in explorer browse to c:\windows\winsxs. You should see a ton of files. They're really on your SD card :D

- Reboot

After reboot, you should be able to delete c:\windows\winsxs.moved and FINALLY liberate all that disk space.

per directions

lets see almost done will report back

EDIT: Didnt work :D gonna have to try something else now, I will get it to work grrr

EDIT EDIT:

I think this might be very helpful for those who are getting BSODs or having trouble. I investigated some searches on ownership in Vista and found this article

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/25/e...ories-in-vista/

It explains ownership in Vista and provides a batch file and how to use it midway through the article. I used the batch file called TakeControlOf.cmd after copying the 'Movefile' and 'Pendmoves' into the windows\system32 folder as such

run cmd with elevated priviledges aka as adminstrator

go the folder where takecontrolof.com is located, in my case a USB drive mounted as E:

ran E:\takecontrolof\TakeControlOf.cmd C:\Windows

waiting about 15 mins for the batch script to process, rebooted followed the directions by Paul (MVP) as directed :)

Edited by tetrahedron

Guest smirali
i followed the instructions exactly 3 times and it didnt work, kept getting BSODs

so I decided to use a fully functional, non vLited disc of Vista, booted from it, went into the repair console and did:

'xcopy c:\windows\winsxs.moved\*.* d:\windows\winsxs.moved\'

so far it is copying everything, long process as we know, hopefully this will work and I can then rename d:\windows\winsxs.moved to d:\windows\winsxs followed:

per directions

lets see almost done will report back

EDIT: Didnt work :D gonna have to try something else now, I will get it to work grrr

EDIT EDIT:

I think this might be very helpful for those who are getting BSODs or having trouble. I investigated some searches on ownership in Vista and found this article

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/25/e...ories-in-vista/

It explains ownership in Vista and provides a batch file and how to use it midway through the article. I used the batch file called TakeControlOf.cmd after copying the 'Movefile' and 'Pendmoves' into the windows\system32 folder as such

run cmd with elevated priviledges aka as adminstrator

go the folder where takecontrolof.com is located, in my case a USB drive mounted as E:

ran E:\takecontrolof\TakeControlOf.cmd C:\Windows

waiting about 15 mins for the batch script to process, rebooted followed the directions by Paul (MVP) as directed :)

so the problem was the ownership part of the method?

after that takecontrol thing you followed the instructiond made by MVP and really worked?

Guest tetrahedron
so the problem was the ownership part of the method?

after that takecontrol thing you followed the instructiond made by MVP and really worked?

well i followed MVP's ownership method, and while it does work, I found that using the batch script file I posted a link to previously was more effective in changing and maintaining the proper ownership of files not to get a BSOD, that was my experience