Installing Vista on the Eee 701 - i've done it and it works!

Guest PaulOBrien

well i followed MVP's ownership method, and while it does work, I found that using the batch script file I posted a link to previously was more effective in changing and maintaining the proper ownership of files not to get a BSOD, that was my experience

how do you get vista so small, i got vlite but can onlyu get it to 2.0 g

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cochko

I have xp for now and it works very good I am hoping that I will be able to follow you instruction and upgrade it to Vista. I also found a great tech support site and I used it to solve my troubleshooting problems. Here is the page for EEE PC problems

Good luck

CO

• 2 weeks later...
Guest curious425

Am I missing something?

What is the difference/benefit of moving the SxS folder to the SD card.

Why don't you just leave it there and install your apllication and user data to the SD card?

Brian.

Guest Monolithix

As the SxS folder takes up a LOT of space, and can avoid any issues that may arise from limited write cycles available on SSD's...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest omnikohh

ehi paul i have a problem with windows update. same errors of other guys(i can't update or install microsoft products).there's fix for this?what can i do?how to move software distribution folder in sdhc?please help.tnx

Edited by omnikohh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moses101

Hi, I try to install in my new Eee Vista Ultimate following Paul instructions, but I find two problems initially. It is impossible fomat FS = 32 in my Vista. Then, when I introduce the USB Stick with ISO install, I get a message: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt. "

The computer has just left the box where he was received today and I have not tampered with the hardware. (Perhaps the tactile screen built?) Can i help me? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest konamininja

i just bought a pearl white 4G eee, i was wondering will i be able to install windows vista home premium on a 500GB external hard disk and run it smoothly? thanks :D

Guest Daichi

Nice post,

But I have a problem :D.

I couldn't install vista on my Eee.

This error came: "missing operating system".

Please help.

Tnx,

Daichi

• 1 month later...
Guest Johnston411

Hi Paul,

would it be possible to create the flash drive vlite stick then put an 8gb sd into the eeepc and install vista to that?

I've got xp sp3 working well but want to try out vista on the eeepc. If i can do that while leaving the xp alone i'd be dead chuffed.

So i've discovered vista doesn't support installing to usb drives or to sd cards.

I've installed a vlited version and have 925mb left of the 4gb ssd. It flies with 2gb ram installed but i'm sure this will slow when i add anti virus etc...

Edited by Johnston411

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BiztronicsIT

Hi My Name is Adam from Biztronics in Australia. Thank for your Post it has been very usefull in helping me install Vista on one of my Customers EeePC.

I do however still have a few issues that you maybe able to help me with.

I have got down to the stage where where i am about to copy the c:\windows\winsxs.moved to the D: Drive.

I have a the EeePC Model that is 20GB from Factory, that is the 4GB Standard and the 16GB as D: Drive, so i am not using the SD Card just the internal Flash.

When i start to copy the winsxs.moved to the other partition i get a 0x8007048f error and i have to keep pushing retry and then eventually the machine dies and has a fit and reboots.

Can you help, it a appears thatwhen i am copying the Transfer timesout then copying and when i push retry it continues the copying og the files.

Anyway hop you can help

Regards and Thanks Adam

• 1 month later...
Guest phelipe

Hi there, This is my second atend to install Vista (Home premium), I did it a 840MB ISO and Instaled, everything OK, but as we all know (Thanks to Paul) there some necessary fixes. By my first atenpt to move WINSXS I did the 1 step at the comand prompt and REBOOT, after that only Black Screen and BOOT, no acess to Windows even on Recovery mode. Since this topic it's old (but very usefull) I would like to ask if there is any new method to get Vista working with no worries (My last OS was UBUNTU 8.04). Any idea? Thanks in advance

this is the video with my Asus eee 901 with Vista :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Wily Python

Hi all from another EeePC newbie

I get to pendmoves with no problem, but when I reboot, my 901 goes into perpetual BOSD-reboot-BOSD-reboot . . . etc.

so I never get to move winsxs - any ideas please.

• 1 month later...
Guest Nekosan78

Thanks, this is Amazing!

So far its working fine for me, just moving it to the flash card now.

EDIT 2 Missed some bits! Il try again.

Thanks for your help ;)

Edited by Nekosan78

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Emilio Mansur

Have you tried these tips in Windows Server 2008?

I spent my weekend creating ISO files and installing W2008 on my EeePC, but I got BSDs when I use movefile and I could not move SoftwareDistribution folder and have the services working well :lol:

[]'s,

Mansur

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Andreesie

First try yesterday night, I couldn't get more permission for the folder winsxs, but I didn't want to stop directly so I just did the rest of the list.

At the movefile part it went wrong. When I typed 'movefile c:\windows\winsxs c:\windows\winsxs.moved' it displayed an Error:5. Not knowing what it mean, I was going to 'movefile c:\windows\winsxs.link c:\windows\winsxs'. That went fine without any hesitation.

Rebooted, and typed 'dir c:\windows\winsxs*' and I didn't see the winsxs.moved directory, only the winsxs, although the winsxs.link was fine. Did above steps 3 times more and it didn't work.

This morning I wanted to try it again, but not without those permissions, thinking this was my problem. So I tried the TakeOwnOf.cmd, didn't help. A regkey I downloaded also didn't do anything. I looked at the code of TakeOwnOf.cmd, and I saw:

takeown /f %1 /r /d y

icacls %1 /grant administrators:F /t

typed the first line manually and I got directly a error, acces denied -.-'

typed:

takeown /?

then I saw the options,

typed:

takeown /F c:\windows\winsxs

and that was the trick!

Got through the whole process again, and all is working now. 'Just' 3 hours from now till al files are copied to SD.

Thanks already!

Andreas

PS: I got a EeePC 701 4G, don't know if that makes any difference, don't think so actually

Edit: ok, everything worked untill now. the copying went well, but then I did 'rmdir c:\windows\winsxs' and it said the directory didn't exist. I reread the whole tutorial, but I couldn't find out where it all went wrong. Does someone know this problem?

edit2: tried to just remove winsxs.removed, can't, no rights...

well, there are 300 MB of, but not the 1,5 GB I had...

Edited by Andreesie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest azz2811

hey paul,

i have an eee pc with an 8gb built in ssd do you think that i should get an external sd card for the sxs folders or just leave them on the built in sd card.

also i have a 16gb external sd card and i was wanting to some how link my "my documents" on to it could you please help thanks

alex

Guest peggyjay

Hey i followed the tutorial and ended up having a link between c:\windows\winsxs.link <===> c:\users\*username*\winsxs.moved :rolleyes:

not aware this i continued to move the files with "movefiles". on boot i got a BSoD

just for fun i tried the repair feature on the vista DVD, didn't do anything, but once it had finished doing nothing i got a CMD window up :)

manged to move the folder to "D:\windows\winsxs", recreate the link, and then reboot. it WORKED

still cant mange to remove "c:\windows\winsxs.moved" i'll keep trying, i'll post if i get any progress

EDIT:used the CMD in Vista Repair and deleted the folder with "rmdir C:\windows\winsxs.moved /S" Now i have 1.2GB free :(

Thanks Paul for a great guide.

Edited by peggyjay

Guest peggyjay
i have a 16gb external sd card and i was wanting to some how link my "my documents" on to it

(Replace [username] with your actual username eg. C:\Users\tom)

I moved the Whole "C:\Users\[username]" folder, heres how you do it

open a run window (winkey+R) type "CMD" then press enter

then write "movefile C:\Users\[username] C:\Users\[username].moved" then restart (Trust me)

when you computers back up, you should be logged in as a temp user.

now move "C:\Users\[username].moved" to you SD card then rename eg."D:\Users\*username*"

go back to CMD and type "mklink /J c:\Users\[username] D:\Users\[username]"

reboot.

now your user folder should be on your SD card, saving you about +300mb on your C drive

Guest azz2811
(Replace [username] with your actual username eg. C:\Users\tom)

I moved the Whole "C:\Users\[username]" folder, heres how you do it

open a run window (winkey+R) type "CMD" then press enter

then write "movefile C:\Users\[username] C:\Users\[username].moved" then restart (Trust me)

when you computers back up, you should be logged in as a temp user.

now move "C:\Users\[username].moved" to you SD card then rename eg."D:\Users\*username*"

go back to CMD and type "mklink /J c:\Users\[username] D:\Users\[username]"

reboot.

now your user folder should be on your SD card, saving you about +300mb on your C drive

thanks tons that helps a lot

Guest peggyjay
thanks tons that helps a lot

no problem.

but you may have some compatibility issues if you dont recreate the XP compatibility links (since it doesnt copy them)

heres the links you need *replace user where necessary

Application Data <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming]

Cookies <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows Cookies]

Local Settings <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local]

My Documents <===> [C:\Users\Default\Documents]

NetHood <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts]

PrintHood <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts]

Recent <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent]

SendTo <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo]

Start Menu <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu]

Templates <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates]

and you make then like so(via CMD)

mklink /J "D:\Users\Default\Application Data" D:\Users\Default\appdata\Roaming

etc...

doing this restores compatibility to non-vista programs

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest natedawg1013

Hello! I am planning on getting a SSD for my computer and I want the speed improvement of having windows on it without reinstalling. Is a junction in vista strong enough to serve as the entire "Windows" folder and link to the copy on the SSD? I already asked on yahoo answers, but no one there seems to know what a junction is.