Advice wanted

Guest djlev

Hey guys i own an SPV M500 from orange and have recently moved out to canada. I am wondering if it will take windows mobile 2005 instead of the 2003 version currently on it?? Ohh another thing it keeps reseting and wiping everything on the phone. it sucks at times cause u have to re set up the phone all the time, is there a way i can stop it doing this, what is causing that? if it will take windows 2005 where do i get it?? thanks in advance

Guest jimbouk

Some people have managed to force WM5 onto those devices but it isnt recommended as it isnt designed for it and its likely to be even more buggy than it is now.

I would try to work out whats causing it to crash and remove that - unless its just an old battery that needs replacing as it cant hold a charge.

Well i dont know, but the phone does a reset and i have to go through the setup thing with configuring the touch screen and stuff.....it also formats the phone so i loose everything all the time. its a pain in the ass....any idea's on how to test it???

Edited by djlev

Guest jimbouk

Wm 2003 doesnt have residual memory so it loses everything when it runs flat. So the trick is to not let it run flat.

Batteries have a useful life - after a year or two they will typically start to lose the ability to hold a long charge.

Guest Samsonite

my old magician started doing the hard reset thing every time i soft reset it with the stylus.. turned out to be a sticky on/off button.

I ended up pulling the rubber button out completely and using a freeware utility called XP Shutdown that lets you put the device into standby (and softreset it) from buttons on the home screen - problem solved. except for no on-off button of course! ;)

one thing you could always do is do a backup once you have got the device exactly how you want it and store the backup image on the memory card - if you do have an unexpected Hard Reset, it should be a much simpler exercise gettin your ol' friend back!

as for getting WM5 on it - i wouldn't. if you think you have problems with the offical OS, how many problems could you be letting yourself into with a cooked/halfbaked ROM..?