Newbie Question - How Is A Phone Locked?

Guest Random Tox

Guest Random Tox

This is a newbie question so forgive me if it’s been answered elsewhere but I can’t find it.

I’d like a bit of background to my question which is essentially, How is a phone locked to a network? Let me explain.

I am an O2 customer and am considering getting the XDA Orbit 2 which has been released in Germany but not in the UK yet. I appreciate that the phone will be locked to O2’s German network but how will that affect me if I put my UK sim card in the device in the UK? Will the device allow me to do that? Will it think that I’m a German O2 customer in the UK and charge me international roaming fees? I am assuming that the UK and German networks are considered to be completely different despite both being owned by O2.

If I want to use the German release of the XDA Orbit 2 in the UK, will I need it unlocking before I can use it on the O2 network in the UK?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Confucious

O2 in the uk do not lock their phones, I don't know about Germany though. If they don't then you wont have a problem.

If they do then you will need to unlock it then you wont have a problem - is there unlocking software available for the Orbit 2?

is there unlocking software available for the Orbit 2?

It would be worth finding that out first, I don't know about O2 specifically but If the only way to unlock it is through O2 you might want to find out a price. I read T-Mobile De charge 100 Euros for an unlock code ;)

• 3 weeks later...