Weather app data settings

Guest hairpolice

Guest hairpolice

Hi guys, first post here so let me apologize in advance if this is better suited for another section.

Just got my Touch on Rogers here in Canada a few days ago and I don't have a data plan hooked up to it yet (I know I know..)

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to set the Weather app to only pull new weather info if it roams onto a Wireless connection. In other words so that it doesn't use data through Rogers for this info all the time as that would be very costly right now since I'm not on a data plan, just voice.

I hope that made sense, thanks in advance! ;)

I don't think that's possible, the best you can do is to stop it downloading automatically

Click on your City name>Menu>Weather Options>untick 'Downlaod weather data automatically'

Guest turkish124

I picked up a Touch with Telus and have a data plan. I am to be honest not the least bit 'data phone' savy though.

I was wondering if anyone knew how often the weather feature updated and how much data it uses. If it's going to be a leach on my data allowance I would sooner just look out the window.

Thanks guys ;)

Guest hairpolice

Thanks for your insight, mandt.

I was just browsing through the Tips and Tricks thread (http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-Elf-Touch-Touch-MoDaCo-com/259014/Lets-Share-Cool-Free-Applications-Tips-Tricks/) that popped up today, and noticed this little bit:

(4) GPRS as internet connection. Weather update default connection --> GPRS

If you want to prevent using GPRS as your default Internet Connection, it can be easily done too by going to

Start --> Settings --> Connections --> Connections--> Advanced--> Select Network and you will come to Network Management...

on Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should be connect using

Instead of the Phone Network Provider Settings, change it to My ISP(modem) or My Work Network(wifi)...and then you will have the Unable to connect message...

Would changing this setting to the wifi setting only allow weather to update when connected to wifi?

Thanks again! ;)

In all honesty I have never tried it, but don't think it works quite like that, and even without changing those settings the phone will always use a Wi-Fi connection in preference over GPRS

In any case you would still need to initialise your Wi-Fi first to find an available network, as you wouldn't want it on all the time 'looking' for a connection, your battery would last about six hours!