MDA Vario III on T-Mobile roaming costs

Guest zippyioa

Guest zippyioa

I have an MDA Vario III on T-Mobile Flext 30 with W&W. I am about to go to France and have checked with T-Mobile to find out what is and isn't used from my £90 allowance whilst out there.

Everything is charged outside of the allowance except MMS (Picture) messages which will be taken from my allowance at a rate of 20p per message.

What I am unsure about is the data used to send an MMS. When roaming data usage is £7.50 p/MB but I have been told by CS people at T-Mobile that this is not charged for sending MMS messages.

Does anyone have any experience of T-Mobile and MMS GPRS roaming charges?

I dont want the phone to be able to log onto GPRS by itself (for email, internet, weather or anything else) so while I am away I plan on using NOData to switch off GPRS. The only problem with this is I cant send MMS messages - again does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Zippyioa

How bizarre. So if you go abroad its cheaper to send stuff via MMS than text message?

Sorry this doesn't really help, but how weird.

Actually, I know when I was on o2 I only had 512kb, and when I sent MMS's this didn't come out of my data plan. I think they can do it on where you connect to or somesuch.

Edited by lozzd

Guest wizzzard

Yes this this correct on T-Mobile when roaming in the EU.

MMS are deducted from your UK allowance. You can also include a hell of a lot more than 160 characters in an MMS.

When roaming in Ibiza during the Summer I was checking Email once or twice per day and checking Weather and News/Sports daily using PIE and after 15 days my Data charges were just over £3. MMS were free. SMS cost 34p. I got stung for about £18 for calls though.

Since September T-Mob have lowered roaming charges within the EU, as have all the operators.

Guest zippyioa
Yes this this correct on T-Mobile when roaming in the EU.

MMS are deducted from your UK allowance. You can also include a hell of a lot more than 160 characters in an MMS.

When roaming in Ibiza during the Summer I was checking Email once or twice per day and checking Weather and News/Sports daily using PIE and after 15 days my Data charges were just over £3. MMS were free. SMS cost 34p. I got stung for about £18 for calls though.

Since September T-Mob have lowered roaming charges within the EU, as have all the operators.

Thanks for your replies.

I am suprised that you were only charged £3 for data after 15 days - their rate of £7.50 p/MB is crazy!!! I guess if you downloaded lots of small pages / small emails it would be about right.

Anyway, thanks again!

Zippyioa

Guest wizzzard
Thanks for your replies.

I am suprised that you were only charged £3 for data after 15 days - their rate of £7.50 p/MB is crazy!!! I guess if you downloaded lots of small pages / small emails it would be about right.

Anyway, thanks again!

Zippyioa

PDA optimised pages and only d/l headers of email unless I wanted the full message.

Always keep a look out for free wifi at cafes and bars etc.