Del emails from phone/Keep on server

Guest CorruptedSanity

Guest CorruptedSanity

I have set up my gmail on my phone and my outlook server addres (for work).

In setting up my gmail account, I was able to choose whether deleting on the device also deleted from server (gmail.com) or soley to device.

I do not have this option on my server account email, so I either have to keep all my emails on my phone, or if I delete on the phone it will delete from my inbox(server/computer) when I come back to office the next day.

Guest jimbouk

Thats because your exchange server account is syncronised between the device and the server and thus the device shows a true replication of the mailbox. Hence reading an email on your device shows it as "read" on the server and in outlook when you next look.

I keep one months emails on my device - both inbox and sent items.

Guest CorruptedSanity

Im not getting you. How come I can delete emails from my gmail account and keep them on the server(gmail.com) but not do that.

Is my gmail pull email and my exchange server pushmail (like blackberry)?

Guest waynepyrah
Im not getting you. How come I can delete emails from my gmail account and keep them on the server(gmail.com) but not do that.

The whole point of exchange is to keep everything in sync

Can't think of any obvious way to do what you want...

Unless you can set up pop3 with exchange and not to delete

Kind of defeats the whole point of an exchange server though

Guest jimbouk

As the poster above and I both put it, exchange server's provide you with a mialbox that you can access from any exchange enabled device (eg WM6, outlook etc). The whole point is that it is replicated on every device - so if you read or delete an email on any client device that will update the server.

When you access Gmail or other similar free email services, you either use IMAP or POP to get new items from the server on your device but they remain unread on the server - so that when you next access the account on your pc, the emails are still there.

MS quite rightly have set up exchange server accounts to update the server to avoid differences between the mailboxes on client devices.