Samsung SGH-i640 / SGH-i640v GPS Enabled?

Guest neilg

Found the voda draft manual (gppd old fcc) here https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/bl...tive_or_pdf=pdf

Cant see any sign of GPS. ANyone know if it has one, maybe Vodafone have just disabled in the software?

Now trying tp answer my own question ( I should read more) - Paul is it the same issue this http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...-GPS-ACTIVATED/

solves on the BJII??

I guess I can try it on friday!!

Edited by neilg

well. just got back to my new i640v which arrived on Saturday. Unfortunately too cold, dark, wet and miserable to spend too much time outside, but Google Maps spends an age searching for satelites and none found yet......

Is there some way to check on the device to see if there is a gps present?

CamerAware seems to connect to it on COM4 after applying the BJII GPS FIX but again no satellites found as yet.

GPS Test seems to find something on COM4 but again with no sats found it eventually just says 'GPS Off'

Suppose I will have to brave the weather at some point.

Some intial other thoughts on i640v:

- Think I am going to REALLY miss my Card-Wheel/Carousel Homescreen from i600 (can't see anywhere where this was ever sucessfully extracted from an i600 for use elsewhere)

- New Voda Plugin is a nice effort but not as useable for me as Cardwheel but I need to try to use it some more

- So far having problems syncing with exchange

- New jog dial thing (like on i620) is interesting, think it could actually be a good input method

- QWERTY seems very useable despite being a little smaller than i600 keys

- The voda version only has PIE and no opera installed as far as I can see

- The voda ROM seems to have about 10 different email options except for exchange which is I gave up trying to find and set up from my PC

- MRU implementation is nice in the voda menu

At some point I'll try to post some screenshots unless someone else beats me to it. And I'll update on GPS when and if I ever get it working.

Cheers

n

Sorry - no photos yet, has ANYONE got GPS working on this thing? BTW no WiFi either as far as I can see - at least not software enabled, not that I ever use WiFi as HSDPA does the job for me!

Edited by neilg

OK, so from an 'unspecified source' it seems like this device DOES have the hardware for WiFi and GPS but Voda have (in their infinate wisdom) disabled this. I cannot confirm it and I am trying to find a way to turn it back on to see if this is true.... For info I have discovered some useful info. Pre-Configuration for I640v is as follows:

*#3695147*#

password *#83301*#

If anyone can get me the password for the 'Internal' seciotn for the pre-cponfiguration menu then this woudl be a help (possibly!)

Edited by neilg

Guest Tomchap
OK, so from an 'unspecified source' it seems like this device DOES have the hardware for WiFi and GPS but Voda have (in their infinate wisdom) disabled this. I cannot confirm it and I am trying to find a way to turn it back on to see if this is true.... For info I have discovered some useful info. Pre-Configuration for I640v is as follows:

*#3695147*#

password *#83301*#

If anyone can get me the password for the 'Internal' seciotn for the pre-cponfiguration menu then this woudl be a help (possibly!)

The Samsung i640v you are describing, where abouts did you get it from? Any info would be great.

Cheers

The Samsung i640v you are describing, where abouts did you get it from? Any info would be great.

Cheers

Purchased on 30th Nov from Vodafone direct!

Somne pics of GPS not working too!

post-44-1196876133_thumb.jpg

post-44-1196876151_thumb.jpg

post-44-1196876172_thumb.jpg

post-44-1196876255_thumb.jpg

Edited by neilg

Guest Jerome2811

*#3695147*#

password *#83301*#

This is what I've found so far, note this is originally for the U700, no guarantees it will work....Samsung U700 Service Menu Codes:

Admin Pass: * # 6984125 * #

Internal Pass (Master Key): * # 9072641 * #

Pre-configuration (Operator code): # 73561 * * #

Vodafone Firmware Codes:

Admin Pass: * # 3695147 * #

Internal Pass (Master Key): * # 3971258 * #

Pre-configuration (Operator code): # 83301 * * #

* # 0289 # Mode test

* # 0228 # Battery Information

* # 0673 # Test MP3

* # 0782 # Date and Time

* # 0842 # Vibration Test

* # 1111 # Version Software FTA

* # 1234 # Version Software (short)

* # 1235789 # Status Monitoring Integrity

* # 0002 * 28346 # menu General

* 2767 * 3855 # = E2P Full Reset

Well a couple of last observations before I send it back in case anyone is interested!

1) The screen is superb - very clear, bright and easy tio use, probably the best I have seen on a Smartphone

2) The WM6 software version is actually older than on my upgraded i600

3) It is a LOT heavier than the i600 even when both have the extended battery, but it is made out of nicer materials

4) The jog dial is REALLY good - i really like this and hope we get an i600++ (like the BlackjackII) in europe

5) Vodafone's homescreen plugins are actually prettly nice, I owuld love to have a combination of the Voda plugin working when you press 'start' but still have card wheel/carousel as the homescreen

6) Think I will still be back to my I600 which I have had for nearly a year and hope that samsung provide an upgrade with GPS, looked at HTC Wings/S730 and also or maybe even brave a HTC Touch Cruise

7) I also forgot to mention that as well as no opera, the samsung wake up timers etc seems to be missing on the Voda i640 as well as no RSS reader or podcast shortcuts

Back to the i600 and bluetooth gps for me then!.....

• 4 months later...
Guest the monk

Hello,

newbie calling for help.

Finally I got my hands on an i640v (obviousely an internet limited edition, which is an uk version only. Am I right?). Unfortunately I with an o2 germany sim and as I tried to use the following

I got stuck with the internal pass. It seems to be impossible to enter the ending # so I can neither enter "preconfiguration" nor "internal". Any ideas? Do I need different passes for germany.

cheers,

HB

• 1 year later...
Guest spv m1500
Hello,

newbie calling for help.

Finally I got my hands on an i640v (obviousely an internet limited edition, which is an uk version only. Am I right?). Unfortunately I with an o2 germany sim and as I tried to use the following

I got stuck with the internal pass. It seems to be impossible to enter the ending # so I can neither enter "preconfiguration" nor "internal". Any ideas? Do I need different passes for germany.

cheers,

thanks i entered this thinking it would unlock gps and wifi like explained its put vodaphone symbols all over and live on botton right of screen where contacts was on my i640v and lost everything i had saved and its put vodaphone net and everthing even changed my keypad mine is a ltd edt and its qwertz and now whe i typ a z its coming up as a y.any code to change back PLEASE HELP email me [email protected] as need it asap

HB

Edited by spv m1500