Dropped my S710 in a glass of water!

Guest blahmartinblah

Guest blahmartinblah

Hi

I dropped my S710 in a glass of water! :D I always laughed at people who did things like this, but now its me :D

I left it to dry for a few days, and it mostly works apart from the keypad which is acting a bit crazy. Some buttons act like they are stuck down, and activate without me pressing them. It makes using the phone pretty impossible, and I'm scared it will dial 999 by accident!!

I want to try strip the phone down, check for any remaining water, and see if I can clean up the keyboard. Can anyone point me at some dissassembly instructions? What size torx screws are used? I need to buy a driver. Any photos of the phone internals or other useful info would be appreciated. Or a service manual :(

Anyone tried getting something like this professionally repaired by HTC?

Before anyone suggests it - I got the phone from Ebay (new, but not exactly a authorised dealer), so i'm not sure I could even try a warranty claim.

Martin.

Guest jimbouk

Usually the problem is actually caused by minerals left when the water dries. They short out contacts on the circuit boards and chips. And amazingly the recommended solution is to actually wash the device with distilled water (that is clear of minerals) and then leave it to dry.

Guest blahmartinblah
Man, that just sucks badly. Did it went off right away when you dropped it? Or did it work while it was in the glass?

Well, I didn’t try make any calls with it still in the glass :( but the screen was still working! I pulled it out after about 10 seconds, and then pulled the battery out to remove power to the phone as quickly as I could.

Can anyone help with the torx screw driver size or other information on how to disassemble a HTC vox?

Guest wizgnome
Well, I didn’t try make any calls with it still in the glass :( but the screen was still working! I pulled it out after about 10 seconds, and then pulled the battery out to remove power to the phone as quickly as I could.

Can anyone help with the torx screw driver size or other information on how to disassemble a HTC vox?

If you do a google search for "htc vox service manual" you should find what you are looking for.

Guest mmmp9mbb

lol. i am ur comrade in phone soaking. I actually did worse. I left my phone in my pants and put it in the washing machine! i took it out and it had the red LED on and wasnt turning on (yes i stupidly tried to turn it on when wet). I googled what to do in this situation as there are apparently other foolish people like me! They recommended the following:

I took the battery out, slid the keyboard out and left it on top of my boiler for a week (I think it is better to leave for a week as when i checked after a few days, there was still water under the screen and would therfore be in the phone). It worked perfectly after that. The only things were that initially some of the buttons stuck but that improved as the days went on. Also there was the patch of water above, but that dried up also. I also found out about the red stickers that phone manufacturers pu on ur phone and battery. When it comes in contact with water, the white sticker turns red. Therefore no more warranty!! The more u try to turn it on when it is wet, the more damage to do. So be patient and allow it to completely dry. Believe me it works!!

They also recommeded NOT taking the phone apart. Apparantly it is more complex than taking other phones apart.

Hope it helps

Edited by mmmp9mbb

lol. i am ur comrade in phone soaking. I actually did worse. I left my phone in my pants and put it in the washing machine! i took it out and it had the red LED on and wasnt turning on (yes i stupidly tried to turn it on when wet). I googled what to do in this situation as there are apparently other foolish people like me! They recommended the following:

I took the battery out, slid the keyboard out and left it on top of my boiler for a week (I think it is better to leave for a week as when i checked after a few days, there was still water under the screen and would therfore be in the phone). It worked perfectly after that. The only things were that initially some of the buttons stuck but that improved as the days went on. Also there was the patch of water above, but that dried up also. I also found out about the red stickers that phone manufacturers pu on ur phone and battery. When it comes in contact with water, the white sticker turns red. Therefore no more warranty!! The more u try to turn it on when it is wet, the more damage to do. So be patient and allow it to completely dry. Believe me it works!!

They also recommeded NOT taking the phone apart. Apparantly it is more complex than taking other phones apart.

Hope it helps

Go there and get it:

http://michael-channon.spaces.live.com/?_c...rvice%2bManuals