I nearly took my Kaiser apart!

Guest mandt

What do you do when the missus is out and the lad's in bed?

Take some screwdrivers to your Kaiser of course!

and I almost made it, but can't separate the two halves :D something in the area of the space bar is holding the thing together, and for the life of me I can't suss it out, sooooo......has anyone else tried? and had any more sucess than I did?

Reason?

Well I've managed to get hold of some TyTN II buttons and want to see if I can replace my T-Mobile branded ones with 'em :(

So...anyone brave/silly/curious enough to see if we can't figure it out?

..........1 to go...........

Take some screwdrivers to your Kaiser of course

God! I thought i am crazy but i take my hat off to you.Wait till Paul got hear this.And i bet my aunt's wooden leg "Jimbouk" will come after you. <_<

Yeah I disassembled my old C-550 way back, damn it was pretty much a monthly necessity with the dust problem :(

Most of the Kaiser came apart pretty easily, frustratingly enough I could see the screws I needed to get to to separate the screen assembly from the main body, but the main black housing doesn't want to separate from the keyboard :D

Well I've managed to get hold of some TyTN II buttons and want to see if I can replace my T-Mobile branded ones with 'em smile.gif

lol you lucky git! whered you get em!?

i try with mine when i get it - i have a knack of getting things apart - not so much good at getting them back together though!

Dummy Orange TyTN II from eBay, 7 Quid all in :(

Bit of a risk as I didn't know if they would be functional or not, indeed most of the dummy unit wasn't interchangeable with the retail one, but luckily the buttons are genuine working parts!!

Guest mikeeey
Yeah I disassembled my old C-550 way back, damn it was pretty much a monthly necessity with the dust problem :(

lol you too? for me when i had my sda i would

1. takei t apart every month or so.

2. dust it out.

3. oil the joystick and put it all back together.

I did it!

You don't need to undo the main part of the phone at all, undo the four screws from the back of the screen housing, and you can prise it apart just enough to slide the old keys out and the new ones in :D

post-174863-1196234983_thumb.jpg

But......I hate them :(

Aesthetically they're so much better, but functionally they are crap! after only a couple of minutes I just knew I there was no way I could live with them, so I've stuck the originals back in again

So there you have it, it can be done, and pretty easily too, but I wouldn't advise it, which is a shame as the stock ones look so nice

Edited by mandt

Good Day

VERY interesting!!

...and actually exactly what I was looking for. :(

I got an AT&T Tilt and need to replace the keyboard with either a standard HTC QWERTY or (even better) a QWERTZ-keyboard.

2 questions:

1. Were you able to disassemble the device as far that you could replace the keyboard?

2. Would you sell me your dummy's keyboard?

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Regards from Switzerland,

kl1wdr

1. Were you able to disassemble the device as far that you could replace the keyboard?

2. Would you sell me your dummy's keyboard?

1. No, I couldn't separate the keyboard from the main housing, only one screw stopped it all coming apart :D

2. I threw it out :D but luckily our rubbish hasn't been collected yet :( so here's what I'll do:

I'm a huge fan of your work, and only ever used your Homescreens in my Smartphone days. So if I can find the keyboard I will happily send it to you for free, as a small token of my appreciation!

If I find it I will PM you for your address :D

I'm a huge fan of your work, and only ever used your Homescreens in my Smartphone days. So if I can find the keyboard I will happily send it to you for free, as a small token of my appreciation!

If I find it I will PM you for your address :(

WOW!!! :D

You can send me the whole dummy instead of throwing it away. I could in fact use the frontplate-buttons...

If this costs more then sending the keyboard only I will gladly pay.

Reg. the one screw:

What was the problem? Did you not find the screw or what prevented you from loosening it?

EDIT:

Maybe this helps...?

HTC Kaiser Disassembled

Edited by kl1wdr

Ok here's what I did:

Undo three torx screws on back of phone, around the battery.

Prise off the plastic cover at the top, around the antenna sockets

Under this there is one more torx screw to remove

Then you can start to separate the two halves of the main housing, slide the keyboard out, insert a thin blade around the edges of the keyboard and little by little the clips release

This is where I got stuck.

There is a small phillips screw under the space bar holding the main board to the housing. You can prise the housing apart enough to see it, but not enough to be able to get a screwdriver in.

Hopefully someone else will take this to the next step, and figure the rest of it out. I have acomplished what I set out to do with the buttons so I won't be doing this again myself, but I hope I have provided a starting point for someone else to pick up :(

Sorry they have definitely gone. I pulled them apart to see if the keys and rubber membranes were inter-changeable, and buggered them in the process. but I'll certainly try to find the keyboard for you when I finish 'work'

Just spotted your edit above, I'd seen those pictures before, shame the guy that took it apart didn't say how it was done :(

Out of interest what's different on the Tilt keyboard anyway?

Out of interest what's different on the Tilt keyboard anyway?

Did you find the keyboard?

Shame about the keys...I could really use them... <_<

The Tilt does not sport the default QWERTY-keyboard and therefore supports no specialcharacters such as ä,ö and ü.

Here's the Tilt-keyboard:

http://www.geekz1.com/images/news/atttilt.jpg

...and here's the default QWERTY-keyboard:

http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploa...r-tytn-ii-1.jpg

Do you see the difference?

The @ and the !-sign are in different places for instance (as are many others).

I do now hear you say "so what? Just set the keyboard to German (in the registry) and you're fine". But it is not that easy...or maybe it's just me being too picky.

I CAN set it to german but then I:

- Get a Z when I press the Y-button on the keyboard (and vice versa)

- Do not get the FN-Symbols which are printed on the keyboard-buttons

It is just cosmetical...that's all. And I do not want to try to find the FN-Symbol I am looking for by randomly pressing some buttons with the FN-key.

The HTC-QWERTY and QWERTZ-keyboards do both feature the "äü"-print on the spacebar which enables you to simply type an "A" and hit the spacebar with the FN-button pressed and you can get an ä or à or whatever..

I really don't understand why they skipped that on the Tilt...especially since the Tilt-spacebar does not have any FN-Symbol assigned to it!

So all I want is the default HTC keyboard which works for me.

I got no problems setting the keyboard to english....because then (with the new keyboard) I could use the spacebar for ä, à etc. and get all the other FN-symbols printed on the keyboard-buttons.

Are you with me?

And beside all that, the Tilt-keyboard with its white numberbuttons is ugly... :(

Not yet but I will.

I can tell by your posts our minds think the same way, I would want to do the same. I guess we are just too fussy for our own good :(

I am amazed you cannot use umlauts with the tilt keyboard by default :D , that must be a real pain for you

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the keyboard finally arrived this morning and I spent the last 1/2 hour disassembling and reassembling my Kaiser.

I had the whole device in single pieces when I realized that the dummy keyboard will not work as it is thicker than the one it should replace and also would need to be cut to fit in nicely. Not even the single characters could be replaced...so I had to reassemble my device without the new keyboard in... :D

Damn you, HTC!!!

Does anyone know where I can get a WORKING QWERTY (or even better: QWERTZ!) keypad for my Kaiser? :(

EDIT:

Ok, I have now ordered a fully original QWERTY-keypad for US-$ 9.99.

*uff*

Edited by kl1wdr

Oh well, at least you had a practice run :D

Hope you have more luck with the new one!

Yeap, but since then my keyboard works only partially....no softkey-buttons work anymore... :(

Also the backspace-button has no function either... B)

My problem was that I could not unwind 2 of the 4 last screws and therefore had to kind of pull the keyboard out and later back in....the problem must be there.

So I will try to get better tools until the new keyboard arrives. :D

Luckily I did not pay for my Kaiser...otherwise I would have beaten myself for wrecking it... :D

Edited by kl1wdr

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kl1wdr

Ok, the keyboard arrived today and I already exchanged it.

Everything works except for the fact that I now do not feel any buttonfeedback when I press the buttons. Only the softkeys give the tactile feedback I expected. All the other keys are now kind of very hard to press but they work....maybe it will change once all the buttons have been pressed several times.

It's not what I expected but at least I can use the keyboard again.... <_<

Guest bronksy

Take some screwdrivers to your Kaiser of course!

and I almost made it, but can't separate the two halves :D something in the area of the space bar is holding the thing together, and for the life of me I can't suss it out, sooooo......has anyone else tried? and had any more sucess than I did?

Reason?

Well I've managed to get hold of some TyTN II buttons and want to see if I can replace my T-Mobile branded ones with 'em :)

So...anyone brave/silly/curious enough to see if we can't figure it out?

here's a question.. I wondered.. with your experience of pulling things apart.. did you see how the joystick assembly sits in the unit.. I have an Orange TyTN II and the whole silver bit thing seems to move around quite a lot.. I posted to another topic but I got a mixed bag of answers... do you find that there's a bit of movement especially left and right to the whole joystick assembly?

be good to know what you think