change what is displayed in start menu

Guest rm1331

just a few questions:

first is it possible to make it where i can reorganize and change what programs show up ...like windows media player for instance...i cant find it in the start menu at all...and how all new programs go to te bottom...so frustrating

also i have the samsung pop up theme active and for some reason it has the appointments set to 24 hour time...how do change that

ugh...why did samsung/att limit how much you can do on this thing

thank you much

I know on the blackjack you can use a reg editor and swap them around or in file explorer /windows/start menu/ Then right soft key and copy/cut and paste where you want it

• 3 weeks later...

Having looked at the Start Menu now for a while, it is definitely weird. Here is what I did, use at your own risk.

You can use the Explore feature in activesync to move shortcuts from one folder to another, but I could not reorder them that way. For that, I had to go to the registry. I found the order of shortcuts under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMenu

By clicking on the Order key, you can cut and paste the shortcuts and folders in your order of preference, then reboot the phone.

The Windows Media Player shortcut on my phone was nested under the AT&T Music listing in the Start Menu.

The two weird things I have found are 1) Some submenus need you to press the G key to see the next page, some you press the left softkey (that is just sloppily inconsistent) and 2) some shortcuts have a number before them so if you move one, the numbers on that particular menu are out of order and you need to edit the shortcut names to change the number to reflect that. Then you need to edit the Order key as mentioned above to the new name. For example, I renamed the folder AT&T Music to Music Applications. Then I edited the Order reg key to reflect the same.

Hope that helps and if someone has a better way, let me know!

Update: I realized Google Maps and Yahoo Go were still dangling at the end of the past page of my Start Menu. I inserted them to the Order reg key above and now the are right where I want them. Be careful to enter them exactly as they are (Yahoo! Go 2.0.lnk) into the reg key. Also, under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMRU entry is a key called InitialOrder. On that, I edited it to reflect any folder or shortcut name changes for consistency's sake.

So far, everything is working just fine.

Edited by kpy

Guest crackerjacks

I installed Total Commander to re-arrange my start menu icons. However, I have no idea how to change the order since it is in HEX.

Can you elaborate on how you were able to get installed programs from the end of the menu to where ever you want.

Thanks

By clicking on the Order value, you can cut and paste the shortcuts and folders in your order of preference, in the Value Data field, then reboot the phone. Mine looks like this now, and you must have one entry per line. Those without a .lnk extention refer to folders. You can use windows explorer to reorder the items within the folders on the device:

Messaging.lnk

Calendar.lnk

Contacts.lnk

Settings.lnk

Call History.lnk

Organizer

Applications

Games

Yahoo! Go 2.0.lnk

Google Maps.lnk

My Stuff.lnk

Internet Explorer.lnk

ActiveSync.lnk

IM & Email

Pocket MSN.lnk

Music Applications

Cellular Video.lnk

MEdia Net.lnk

AT&T Mall

Guest tinman0305

By clicking on the Order value, you can cut and paste the shortcuts and folders in your order of preference, in the Value Data field, then reboot the phone. Mine looks like this now, and you must have one entry per line. Those without a .lnk extention refer to folders. You can use windows explorer to reorder the items within the folders on the device:

Messaging.lnk

Calendar.lnk

Contacts.lnk

Settings.lnk

Call History.lnk

Organizer

Applications

Games

Yahoo! Go 2.0.lnk

Google Maps.lnk

My Stuff.lnk

Internet Explorer.lnk

ActiveSync.lnk

IM & Email

Pocket MSN.lnk

Music Applications

Cellular Video.lnk

MEdia Net.lnk

AT&T Mall

Would you mind sharing exactly how you were able to cut and paste from within the registry editor (i am using resco) as i do not see those functions. Thanks in advance!

Guest crackerjacks

So even though all the default values in Order are in Hex, I can simply delete everything and type in the shortcuts?

Sorry, I just want to make sure before I mess-up my registry.

Guest Dangelica
So even though all the default values in Order are in Hex, I can simply delete everything and type in the shortcuts?

Sorry, I just want to make sure before I mess-up my registry.

I used MobileRegistryEditor it lets you edit on your pc then it synched it.. so much easier.

Guest crackerjacks
The default values aren't in hex!

P

This is where I went and found it in Hex code:

registry\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Order

Once I am in order its says: Edit Hex Value

Within that file, there is a box containing all the hex codes (i am guessing for the start menu???)

Am I in the right place?

Guest thelostsoul
This is where I went and found it in Hex code:

registry\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Order

Once I am in order its says: Edit Hex Value

Within that file, there is a box containing all the hex codes (i am guessing for the start menu???)

Am I in the right place?

Use RegeditSTG and don't press menu - modify, just press the center button while it's highlighted.

Guest thelostsoul
I can't use Total Commander?

Well, I suppose you can, but I can't offer you advice on how. RegeditSTG is freeware and easily found with a quick google...

Guest crackerjacks

I downloaded RegeditSTG and was able to edit the Order file, but now after restarting, nothing is in the order I put it in. What is the problem? Is there a way I can edit the reg in my computer and than sync it to my phone?

Guest rickyricardo
The easiest way to customize your start menu is to use Jeyo Personalizer 1.0...it's free and can be downloaded at www.jeyo.com.

Chad

Just downloaded this and changing start menu was a piece of cake. Interested now to find out what else it will do.

Messaging.lnk

Calendar.lnk

Contacts.lnk

Settings.lnk

Call History.lnk

Organizer

Applications

Games

Yahoo! Go 2.0.lnk

Google Maps.lnk

My Stuff.lnk

Internet Explorer.lnk

ActiveSync.lnk

IM & Email

Pocket MSN.lnk

Music Applications

Cellular Video.lnk

MEdia Net.lnk

AT&T Mall

how can you rearrange them within the folders?

Guest eman006
Just downloaded this and changing start menu was a piece of cake. Interested now to find out what else it will do.

Downloaded Jeyo Personalizer and the Themes change screen just runs and runs apparently trying to download all the themes' thumbnails without ever loading. Does anyone have this same problem and know the fix?

Thanks.

Edited by eman006

Guest Dangelica
Downloaded Jeyo Personalizer and the Themes change screen just runs and runs apparently trying to download all the themes' thumbnails without ever loading. Does anyone have this same problem and know the fix?

Thanks.

Same here and it really didn't reorder anything but the first 7 items in your start list. Much easier just doing it in the registry.

Guest crackerjacks
Same here and it really didn't reorder anything but the first 7 items in your start list. Much easier just doing it in the registry.

How exactly did you do it? The methods I tried already just shuffled my list.

• 5 months later...
Guest penguin123

Ok I am having a few issues when trying to reorder some icons. I recently installed the Gmail app and Opera Mini. However I have to navigate to Windows\Start Menu\Applications\Java\ in order to find the icons. I tried plugging into my PC and exploring to rearrage the icons, but I can't locate the gmail or opera link. Is there anyway to move these shortcuts to the homepage so i dont have to navigate through all those windows.

Guest dshosu

I don't know how to get around your Opera problem but I know you can sort of circumvent your GMail problem.

You don't need the GMail program to get your GMail. Just set up your GMail account for "IMAP forwarding"

1. do this in your gmail account

2. do this on your phone

• 1 month later...
Guest ReasonThis

After u restart the phone they should all be in the new order... Hope this helps!