Unlocked Kaiser on AT&T= Having Problems (Read)

Guest igor999

Guest igor999

I've had my unlocked HTC Kaiser for 2 months now on the AT&T Network no problems. On Thanksgiving Day, my phone decided not to turn on after I left the phone to charge overnight. I figured it did not get a good charge so I tried recharging it. It was flashing red lights near the the top of the phone. So I go into AT&T on Friday to see if its the battery or the european charger that may be at fault. I played around a few combinations in the store and it suddenly/magically turned on. (I decided to buy the charger and extra battery anyways). The employee decides that for some reason or another, the phone needs a SIM Card. Well here is where everything went downhill.

After the new SIM card, I was unable to make or receive any calls, and no access to my data plan. Sometimes, I would have full signal bars but still was unable to make/receive phone calls. I've been able to make calls on very rare occasions; especially in this room in our school. What to give? So I went into another AT&T store and noticed that they had the incorrect IMEI number down in their system,. I asked for them to fix it but they said they couldn't change it for some reason and that the IMEI wouldn't be causing the problems I'm experiencing. So I finally called Customer Service Support on the phone and supposedly they were able to change it to the correct IMEI #. But still the same issues. I've done soft, hard, master resets, take out the battery + SIM card, you name it and still the same problem! When I took the SIM Card out of my phone and put it in a Blackberry, it did work! But when I took the Blackberry SIM Card into my phone, it did not. The support team told me that indicates that it is my phone; but I clearly told them that it could also be due to the fact that the towers just aren't recognizing my device no longer.

So I spoke to HTC about this and they said its the SIM card and they wanted me to go in and get another SIM card. So I went into AT&T today and got a new SIM card but same problem. Again, same issue. So I called AT&T Customer Support today and asked them to bump me up to Level II or III support. She says she cannot do that because my phone is unlocked (from HTC) and no support for that. I gave her the rundown on how my phone was working for 2 months until they put in the new SIM card and my cell phone activity clearly show that. Then she goes on to mention that other technical service reps that have helped me in the past few days clearly have pointed the culprit to be my device and not AT&T as they have exhausted all tests. And I told her, it's like taking a brand new car to a mechanic and then get the car back not running. If you ask the mechanic what did you do to my car, he's not going to admit to anything. She says that my device isn't being recognized by the towers. So then I brought up the point of "So is it my tower or is it really my phone?". I told her it's no problem getting a new phone but if I get a new phone, will it be unrecognized by the towers again. She said yes because it is unlocked. I said what about the thousands of other people who use unlocked Kaisers or any phone for that matter as they seem to have NO problems. They basically want you to buy the phone directly from them.

In all, I've spent nearly 10 hours on trying to get this thing to rework and be able to place/receive phone calls. Whether this is due to the events which ensued after the red light indicator on Thanksgiving Day OR the fact that AT&T switched my SIM Card and caused my device to be undetected by towers (whether it was due to the fact they put in the wrong IMEI in the first place or any adjustment they made to my account) remains to be determined.

The only options that remain is: 1) Go to TMobile and try out their SIM card on my phone and see if it works. I highly doubt they too will let me do that as they consider phone unlocked and don't want to help 2) Get a new phone through HTC and hope it'll work on AT&T again.

Any ideas or support??? heheh. :(

Sorry to be blunt but it really sounds like the phone is faulty. Weird things happen when phones go wrong. And AT&T would have no obligation to help you because yes, you didn't buy the phone from them, and of course they want you to buy it directly from them.. That's how they make money!

The IMEI on the account is usually just so that they can turn your phone off if you lose it/it gets stolen. They can then blacklist it. The fact that the SIM worked fine in your Blackberry pretty well points to it being the phone.