Managed to crack vario 3 screen

Guest develop4life

Guest develop4life

I'm totaly pissed off and depressed, I managed to drop the Kaiser about 50 cm onto laminated floor and then didn't think much would happen as i have dropped Vario 1 many times with no damage at all, this time i look at the screen and its cracked in 3 places all the way across the screen.

I thought at first that the touch screen won't work anymore but it is working but the frusterating problem is that now the position where you hit the touch screen to select something is totally off. I.e. if I use the keyboard (on screen one) to write a message using the styling the mapping is totally random.

I phoned tmobile and they said 140-160 pounds to replace the LCD screen and virtually no where else has the LCD screen (i.e. other repair shops like fone doctor)

Anyone got any ideas on this, maybe get insurance and claim on that :(, your past experiences with such a situation would be appreciated.

Guest jimbouk

If you dont already have insurance from the network, then check your home insurance and any other cover you have from things like your bank account. Lots of them will cover your phone - up to a preset amount.

Guest Swampie
I'm totaly pissed off and depressed, I managed to drop the Kaiser about 50 cm onto laminated floor and then didn't think much would happen as i have dropped Vario 1 many times with no damage at all, this time i look at the screen and its cracked in 3 places all the way across the screen.

The Vario III is much heavier than the old Vario I and feels more solid. However, when dropped, this extra mass has to be dissipated somewhere - in your case, it broke the screen. From the feel of the Vario I, it feels 'softer' so may absorb impacts better.

50cm is quite a drop though, especially onto a hard floor.

Guest madferret

I think the idea is to have insurance BEFORE you damage the phone :(

We had a similar problem with a Vario : in the end a new screen cost £100 from a local repair shop (recommended by the manager of the T-Mobile shop!).

Our home insurance would cover it but with a £50 excess and loss of 20% no claims discount, worth £60+, so we didn't claim.

Guest DJ_Enigma

I have insurance for which I'm charged 9 quid a month, I've been thinking about cancelling it since I took out my contract, but now I'm quite glad I didnt :( I'm really sorry to hear about your phone!

Would a Vario screen not work in a Kaiser? They are easier/cheaper to get hold of.

Also have you tried re-aligning the screen?

Personally I would probably take out insurance, wait a while and then claim on it if it meant that of have a broken £500+ phone.

Cheers,

DJ

Guest chrisash32

i dropped my Vario II and smashed the screen.

I took it to T-Mobile and they quoted me £160 as i didn't have insurance, but when i was talking to the member of staff they said i could take it to the car phone warehouse as they have a fixed fee of £40 for screen replacement on any devices.

So off i went to my local car phone warehouse repair center and she was correct! new screen two week later all fitted for £40!

Guest Swampie
I have insurance for which I'm charged 9 quid a month, I've been thinking about cancelling it since I took out my contract, but now I'm quite glad I didnt :( I'm really sorry to hear about your phone!

Would a Vario screen not work in a Kaiser? They are easier/cheaper to get hold of.

Also have you tried re-aligning the screen?

Personally I would probably take out insurance, wait a while and then claim on it if it meant that of have a broken £500+ phone.

Cheers,

DJ

So £9 per month for 18 months = £162. So you're effectively paying the cost of a screen replacement every 18 months even if you don't have a problem.

I've never broken a mobile phone. I've never had one fail out of warranty. If I'd paid £9 per month, for the last 11 years I've had a mobile phone, I'd have wasted £1200 I would never have claimed off it.

As for the other suggestion, you're openly admitting to 'probably' committing insurance fraud if you were in that situation. Fraud which causes everyone else's premiums to go up, particularly those who try to stay legal (and may be out of pocket because of it).

Additionally, the OP has notified T-Mobile that his handset is broken. Trying to get insurance afterwards and claim off it now is going to be a bit odd if anyone checks. I wonder if there's an IMEI insurance claim DB?

Guest develop4life

thanks for the advice guys

tmobile wouldn't allow to get insurance because they don't do insurance after 14 days of purchase, they don't know i broke it as I phoned a shop rather than customer service to get the quote

I will check car phone warehouse to see about this 40 pounds but i'm not sure that is gonna be the case, its an expensive phone. I am having to do with using the keyboard and the generally key strokes to navigate. My house insurance doesnt cover accidental damage plus there is a 100 pound excess.

The annoying thing is i tried aligning the screen again which i thought will work, it simple aligns the screen and stays in a loop of trying to align the screen, i.e. i push where the cross appears and once i finish all 4 corners it just starts again and i can't get out of that until i reset the phone!!!!

• 4 weeks later...