Force GSM/Edge connection - disable 3G (battery hog)

Guest ptukhar

Guest ptukhar

Anyone figure out how to force the BJ2 to use only Edge? My battery life is pretty dismal even though it is 1700 mah.

-

This gets me to the options (same as the bj)

But the changes to not stick. I've tried several time. I've already app unlocked. REG changes stick ok.

-

Enter phone number *#1546792*#

Select menu option "3 Network & Call Settings"

Select menu option "5 Network Mode"

To force GSM select the "GSM" option, to reenable 3G support select the "Auto" option

Thnks

Guest JamRWS6
Anyone figure out how to force the BJ2 to use only Edge? My battery life is pretty dismal even though it is 1700 mah.

-

But the changes to not stick. I've tried several time. I've already app unlocked. REG changes stick ok.

-

To force GSM select the "GSM" option, to reenable 3G support select the "Auto" option

Thnks

I don't have a BJII (yet) but have you checked in the windows directory for the band selector file like on the BJ?

Guest ptukhar
I don't have a BJII (yet) but have you checked in the windows directory for the band selector file like on the BJ?

Yep, also tried via BandSelect.exe and AdminSettings.exe. No luck.

I'm guessing they locked the files???

Thanks

Guest JamRWS6
Yep, also tried via BandSelect.exe and AdminSettings.exe. No luck.

I'm guessing they locked the files???

Thanks

Look for a mirror file in the windows directory. Microsoft likes to do this to prevent changing files.

I really am not sure what to say until I can get a BJII and look at it.

Guest ptukhar
Look for a mirror file in the windows directory. Microsoft likes to do this to prevent changing files.

I really am not sure what to say until I can get a BJII and look at it.

What mirror file are you reffering to? Any idea what it is named? Thx

What mirror file are you reffering to? Any idea what it is named? Thx

Actually, if you use the bandsel.exe file in Windows, when you attempt to make the change it'll tell you that you can't apply your settings. I'm not quite sure what to think of the BJ2's band selection, I can't help but get the feeling it's 'throttling' down based on usage. I've been in 3G areas and my phone will say Edge, and in Edge areas and it'll just indicate the G. As soon as I go to use data, it'll step up accordingly. Either the indicators are just buggy or there's something crazy going on with the phone's band selection.

As far as battery life goes, even being in a 3G area all day my phone's battery life performs well. If I start messing with the GPS, all bets are off.

Guest ptukhar
Actually, if you use the bandsel.exe file in Windows, when you attempt to make the change it'll tell you that you can't apply your settings. I'm not quite sure what to think of the BJ2's band selection, I can't help but get the feeling it's 'throttling' down based on usage. I've been in 3G areas and my phone will say Edge, and in Edge areas and it'll just indicate the G. As soon as I go to use data, it'll step up accordingly. Either the indicators are just buggy or there's something crazy going on with the phone's band selection.

As far as battery life goes, even being in a 3G area all day my phone's battery life performs well. If I start messing with the GPS, all bets are off.

My guess is I'm on the edge of a 3G area so my BJII will fluctuate between 3G and EDGE every 10 minutes or so.

The switch probably causes more battery drain. Ah well I'll see if anyone has a solution otherwise I'm returning it and getting the MOTO Q9H.

Guest nycnerd

-

-

Thnks

I had the same problem selecting the options in AdminSettings. Somehow its working now.

This is what i did.

1. I have installed SurrealNetworks Application Unlock from Here. (Without this also it may work. But not sure)

2. When i tried to change with data connection on, the changes were not sticking.

3. I have disabled the data from Wireless Manager -> Menu -> Disconnect Cellular Data

4. Now opened the AdminSettings (\windows\AdminSettings.exe)/*#1546792*#

5. Changed the Network Mode.

Surprisingly it was working. Looks like the Data conn is the problem.

Edited by nycnerd

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest tyborg

I can reliably force the network using bandsel.exe by first going to the connection manager (on/off button) turning off the antenna, turning it back on, then using bandsel. It always works.

Ty

Guest john redcorn

I don't like using bandsel because that locks you into either 850 or 1900 and I travel outside of 850 coverage sometimes. If you force gsm from the admin menu it will still switch between 850 and 1900.

I've been set on gsm only for about a month now (except on weekends I go back to 3g since I wont be travelling and might be playing around more with browsers and vtap) I'm getting lots better battery life and no dropped calls at all (I get a dropped call or 2 per day when I'm on 3g)

A trick I learned, might be easier than disabling data before going to the admin menu to do the switch, go to wireless manager turn the phone radio off then back on and you should be able to make the change in the admin menu no problem.

Edited by john redcorn

Guest jrockrat

I just made a short cut in my start menu for the bandsel and that way if I don't have a signal I can easily switch it there it I want to.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest messyboo
I just made a short cut in my start menu for the bandsel and that way if I don't have a signal I can easily switch it there it I want to.

So i dont think i was able to read a clear response. so i have the bandselect short cut but every time i try to use it. it would say unable to select band.

So what is the trick. i dont think have the brain cells to remember those dial number as described in this post.

Guest messyboo

So i dont think i was able to read a clear response. so i have the bandselect short cut but every time i try to use it. it would say unable to select band.

So what is the trick. i dont think have the brain cells to remember those dial number as described in this post.

I had the same problem selecting the options in AdminSettings. Somehow its working now.

This is what i did.

1. I have installed SurrealNetworks Application Unlock from Here. (Without this also it may work. But not sure)

2. When i tried to change with data connection on, the changes were not sticking.

3. I have disabled the data from Wireless Manager -> Menu -> Disconnect Cellular Data

4. Now opened the AdminSettings (\windows\AdminSettings.exe)/*#1546792*#

5. Changed the Network Mode.

Surprisingly it was working. Looks like the Data conn is the problem.

Thank you it works for me too

• 1 month later...

Here is what i found and i was able to disable 3G on my BJ-II.

Make sure you choose to View Hidden Files and Folders in your folder option of Windows Explorer in your PC.

1. Connect your BJII to you PC.

2. From ActiveSync - Click on the "Explore" icon.

3. Double click on the "My Windows Mobile-Based Device"

4. Double click on "Windows"

5. Right click on "Bandsel.exe"

6. Select "Copy"

7. Double click on "Start Menu"

8. Right Click in the "Start Menu" Folder

9. Select "Paste Shortcut"

10. Rename "Shortcut to Bandsel.exe" to "Band Select"

11. From BJII "Start Menu" run "Band Select"13. Pick GSM from what you see (AUTO, GSM and WCDMA)

Note: this is what I found in AT&T forum of USA. ;)