Windows Mobile .next demo'd at Mobius Amsterdam

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
winmologo.jpg
Greetings from grey and damp Amsterdam :(

I'm here at Mobius, and we've just had a demo of the next Windows Mobile release (an update, not an upgrade), which is due to hit in Q1 2008. The release isn't the rumoured 'Windows Mobile 7 aka Photon', but it does contain some very cool stuff that everyone (be you a Standard or a Pro user) is gonna love.

Sadly I can't talk about specific features, but be comfortable in the knowledge that cool things are around the corner :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Sorry!

I pondered whether to post at all, but figured it'd be good to tell people something nice is coming along!

Think tweaks and improvements rather than a revolution for this release...

P

I'm new to this whole WM lark, how would such a release be, erm, released? Is this something that might be downloaded as a "Windows Update" (I'm guessing not) or a download from the manufacturer of your current handset, or would we just expect to find this on our next phone?

Guest SilentBob

So is anything going to be issued by way of the Windows update? I thought the whole reason for the addition of this feature to WM6 was to negate the need for ROM updates where it is only minor functionality/ tweaks involved.

Can you at least say this, is it along the same lines as the latest apps we've seen from HTC? that is, a bit more consumer orientated and user friendly?

Dare I say it, iPhone-ish?

Guest tarroyo

Here's what windowsfordevices.com had to say

Scheduled for availability in the second quarter of 2008, System Center Mobile Device Manager allows administrators to provision and manage smartphones, and lets users access enterprise applications residing behind the firewall, according to Microsoft. The software will require brand-new Windows Mobile phones, or updates to selected older devices, the company says.Assuming the "update" referred to is in fact one and the same as the new Windows Mobile release, a guide of compatible phones already released by Microsoft reveals those that will be first to receive the operating system upgrade. They are the AT&T Blackjack II, AT&T Tilt, HTC Advantage, HTC Mogul, HTC Touch, Motorola Q Music 9m, Palm Treo 750, Samsung SCH i760, T-Mobile Wing, Verizon SMT5800, and Verizon XV6800.
Edited by tarroyo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.