What's happened to my comm manager?!

Guest Incendiary

Guest Incendiary

Got into the office this morning and found that my Vario III had decided to switch on its Wi-fi. Tried to go into comm manager and was presented with this:

screenny3.jpg

Anyone know why this has happened or how to fix it?

Edited by Incendiary

Guest hotphil

That's the nonstandard Comm Manager with the 3G/GSM button isn't it? My guess is that if a soft reset don't fix it, you're looking at a hard reset as I don't think that can be uninstalled. The folks that wrote it may be able to suggest why it's failed. I had it installed for a bit as a way of perhaps saving battery life, but found that switching 3G on/off made little odds in the long run so did a hard reset to get rid.

strange you posted this today as i have exactly the same thing - and i just have the stock comms manager that came with my vario 3 - see screenshots for weirdness - a soft reset doesnt fix it!!!

borkcomms0.jpg

borkcomms1.jpg

last time i used my device was last night and i know it was fine then - all ive done since then is charge it o_O

one thing to note though - when i start it up i think i can see all the icons flicker on the same top left button - its as if theyve forgotton their index in the list or something

Edited by fusi

i had a look at my registry and it _looks_ like its ok? can someone compare these values to theirs and tell me if they are the same?

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

etc - each sub folder just has the name of the function in it as a string value, 0- 9

Guest Chris Hanley

You could always try and (re)install the 10 button comm manager to see if it fixes your issue. If you're already looking at a possible hard reset, what could it hurt? I'd suggest a backup, but I'd be very careful about what you would restore from it.

That would be my suggestion too, try a different Comm manager, by the looks of things you're staring down the barrel of a Hard-reset anyway...

I use Schap's with 3G switch

Guest Incendiary

Thanks for your help guys, I'll try to install a different comm manager and see what happens. I'll try to have a think about what could have caused it, but I'm fairly sure the only thing I've put on my device since it was working properly was the port of Duke Nukem 3D!

Update: Installing Schap's comm manger appears to have done the trick! Everything is now visible, with a bonus 3G button to boot!

Edited by Incendiary