2 Questions: GPS Apps and GMail Integration

Guest dshap

I'd like to note that I am a prospective BJII buyer.

First: Is there any app besides the pay-by-month TeleNav that will give you live, spoken turn-by-turn directions for a route? And that will notice when you've gone off-route, re-calculate, and speak the update directions? (pretty sure TeleNav does this). Google Maps and WLS don't do anything close to this, right? ALL they do is tell you where you are, right?

Second: I am a GMail user and wanted to know if anyone out there is one and has a good working solution for using GMail on their BJII. Has anyone used the GMail IMAP feature with the BJII's e-mail client? What about using the GMail mobile app?

Any info regarding the above 2 issues would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

- Dshap

Guest pavankp
I'd like to note that I am a prospective BJII buyer.

First: Is there any app besides the pay-by-month TeleNav that will give you live, spoken turn-by-turn directions for a route? And that will notice when you've gone off-route, re-calculate, and speak the update directions? (pretty sure TeleNav does this). Google Maps and WLS don't do anything close to this, right? ALL they do is tell you where you are, right?

You are right. GMaps and WLS show where you are, and the map continually moves as you drive. But no spoken directions or rerouting.

Second: I am a GMail user and wanted to know if anyone out there is one and has a good working solution for using GMail on their BJII. Has anyone used the GMail IMAP feature with the BJII's e-mail client? What about using the GMail mobile app?

I use the IMAP feature with the standard email client, and it works fine. I like to use one app for all my email, so I prefer this option to the GMail mobile app which I tried once.

You are right. GMaps and WLS show where you are, and the map continually moves as you drive. But no spoken directions or rerouting.

I use the IMAP feature with the standard email client, and it works fine. I like to use one app for all my email, so I prefer this option to the GMail mobile app which I tried once.

Thanks for the response...So what is the big deal that the GPS has been unlocked so that other apps can use it? Surely everyone is very excited about this because there are some very useful apps out there. I am asking which apps these are and particularly if there is one that can give spoken directions/rerouting.

Also what kind of features does IMAP give you? Does it somehow preserve the cool "conversation"/"threaded" style of e-mail that GMail provides or does it simply forward your GMail messages to the BJII mail client?

Guest pavankp
Thanks for the response...So what is the big deal that the GPS has been unlocked so that other apps can use it? Surely everyone is very excited about this because there are some very useful apps out there. I am asking which apps these are and particularly if there is one that can give spoken directions/rerouting.

I guess that's useful for apps like TomTom. I've never really felt the need for a full-blown GPS with turn-by-turn directions, so haven't checked one out.

Also what kind of features does IMAP give you? Does it somehow preserve the cool "conversation"/"threaded" style of e-mail that GMail provides or does it simply forward your GMail messages to the BJII mail client?

The latter... no conversation style. May be the GMail mobile client has that, but it wasn't a big deal for me, so don't remember if it was there.