Internet Sharing not working

Guest pavankp

Guest pavankp

I used to use the Internet Sharing link in the \Windows directory of my old BJ1 to connect my laptop to the internet. Now I tried it with my new BJII and I get an error saying "Unable to open the file. The system returned the error: 'File not Found.'" Is internet sharing not available in the BJII?

Guest pavankp
Try uninstalling the 1st BJ1 drivers then reinstalling the the new drivers on your BJ2 CD

I am getting the error on the phone when I click on hte Internet Sharing.lnk icon. I didn't even try doing anything from the computer yet. Normally I would have expected the Internet Sharing UI to come up on the phone -- but it didn't.

Guest JBurger

Internet sharing (ICS) is disabled in BJ2. I have tried everything possible that was suggested on the internet but no success <_< . I got the exe files (IntShrUI.exe, intshare.dll) from one the forums and made several registry changes but all ended in no go :( .

I am waiting for Paul to crack that one. Thats the ultimate thing on BJ2 that everyone is probably waiting for.

Guest sfcrusader
Internet sharing (ICS) is disabled in BJ2. I have tried everything possible that was suggested on the internet but no success <_< . I got the exe files (IntShrUI.exe, intshare.dll) from one the forums and made several registry changes but all ended in no go :( .

I am waiting for Paul to crack that one. Thats the ultimate thing on BJ2 that everyone is probably waiting for.

Just got off the phon with ATT. They claim that even with the BJ I, Internet Sharing was not supported and that you needed a laptop connect plan. I told them that this was working on the BJI why should it now work on the BJ II and their response was that it was never supported and if it worked with the BJ I it was my good luck.

Off course I know this all baloney corporate ATT speak - question is though - I dont think this is a Samsung thing correct. Its an ATT thing and one of the things I hate about cell phones in the US, is that the Telco/ISP supplies the phone. That way they can tweak the phone and take things out even if the manufacturer orginally included them.

I doubt internet sharing would put that much of a strain on the ATT 3G network even though I realize that its more data - i think these guys want their pound of flesh and want to charge for it. My usage on internet sharing used to be casual and it helped when I was in places where i could not get a hotspot connection. Looks like this is no longer available on the BJ II unless it can be cracked somehow

Guest JBurger

Someone (verks27) on AT&T forums figured out how to use BJ2 with DUN today. You will need a dataplan atleast (optional tethering option) to connect.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/m...id=46773#M46773

I got a 240K connection speed and it was pretty decent. Tomorrow I am going to attempt to connect another PC to my PC using this DUN connection using the PC ICS and see if I can create a network.

Guest halorin

Has anyone done anything else to try to get the Internet Sharing application to work? The DUN solution is pretty laborious. I miss the old 'Connect' one button hitting that was convenient and easy. I really don't want to take this phone back over something like that.

Guest halorin

My looking around on the internet has come across these two links:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa917146.aspx - Default ICS Registry Settings

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa921093.aspx - IPv4/6 Registry Settings

I'm more than confident a lot of these registry files are flat out -missing- from the BJII, only I have no prior experience of getting this far involved in stuff like this to really know. If someone more knowledgeable could look at this, that'd be awesome.

UPDATE1: Quick heads up. I found a folder called ConnectionSharing in the BJI Registry that wasn't in the BJII, so I'm going to try to copy that over and what happens.

Edited by halorin

Guest JBurger
UPDATE1: Quick heads up. I found a folder called ConnectionSharing in the BJI Registry that wasn't in the BJII, so I'm going to try to copy that over and what happens.

Adding ConnectionSharing and all its related Keys and Values is not working. I have spent hours on that and someone else on the ATT forums has already gone thru that excercise as well.

I am stuck with one thing and that is IPNAT.DLL.

In the HKLM\HARDWARE section, there is list of Drivers that get loaded. I got the IPNAT.DLL for WM6 but I dont know the registry entries. ConnectionSharing is using this DLL but my theory is, if it is not getting loaded, it is not working.

Can someone with BJ1 check the HKLM\Hardware for the IPNAT.DLL ?

Guest halorin

I think it may be something about the #42, or #43 in the active list. If you haven't looked there, give that a try. Those numbers are there in the BJI, but not the BJII. The stuff in there from what I can tell is comm stuff related.

Guest opticalc
Just got off the phon with ATT. They claim that even with the BJ I, Internet Sharing was not supported and that you needed a laptop connect plan. I told them that this was working on the BJI why should it now work on the BJ II and their response was that it was never supported and if it worked with the BJ I it was my good luck.

Off course I know this all baloney corporate ATT speak - question is though - I dont think this is a Samsung thing correct. Its an ATT thing and one of the things I hate about cell phones in the US, is that the Telco/ISP supplies the phone. That way they can tweak the phone and take things out even if the manufacturer orginally included them.

I doubt internet sharing would put that much of a strain on the ATT 3G network even though I realize that its more data - i think these guys want their pound of flesh and want to charge for it. My usage on internet sharing used to be casual and it helped when I was in places where i could not get a hotspot connection. Looks like this is no longer available on the BJ II unless it can be cracked somehow

Can you give a quick sequence on how to get bluetooth ICS working with the BJII? I cant get it to work with either my vista or XP box. The bluetooth PAN adaptor shows up and if I doubleclick it I see my BJII showing as offering that service. But if I doubleclick to connect to it, it fails with "The connection with the Bluetooth network device failed. The device may already be connected to another computer, or it may need to be configured to accept connections from this computer. Consult your device documentation for further information."

JBurger, can you post a link to the files you mentioned that you got from other forums please?

I have also done the registry stuff and I think/hope I may just need the ACTUAL INTSHRUI.EXE

I have only been able to get a SHORTCUT from my BJ1 but caanot get the real exe.

Thanks

Guest opticalc
Who's they? And where? Sorry I'm being dense.

Sorry... look at the link provided by the OP. somewhere in the middle of that thread are new instructions and new files to use. (the stuff at the front of the thread was incorrect)

Guest pavankp
Sorry... look at the link provided by the OP. somewhere in the middle of that thread are new instructions and new files to use. (the stuff at the front of the thread was incorrect)

This works great! I have it working with both USB and Bluetooth. Thanks!

PS: My Comcast internet service has been down for three days now, and I have been surviving because of this feature!

• 4 months later...
Guest Sed8ed
Where can I find the files necessary to enable ICS on my Blackjack II? I'm don't see a link anywhere on this thread...am I missing something? Thanks!

This link....as posted above is page 2 of that thread with correct .cab file..read the thread. Very Simple and easy to setup. Works in a one click solution once installed.

http://verizonwireless.howardforums.com/sh...age=2&pp=15

Edited by Sed8ed

• 7 months later...
Guest Gray The Wulf

I have been able to use my phone as a modem if this is what you mean by Internet Sharing.

In my settings I go to connections then USB and change it to modem works like a charm :rolleyes:. I have used all my samsung phones this way.

I also have the modem drivers installed from my BlackJack II CD on my laptop/desktop. Also I have an OLD unlimited data plan from AT&T don't know if this makes a difference.

I then create a connection from internet explorer using the modem driver I installed and leave the userID and password Blank. Dial the number *99# for connection.

My data plan is from a long time ago when they didn't charge for the BS tethering plan or even PDA data some odd extra $60 a month. I don't know if this makes a difference but I am not changing my data plan anytime soon.

Hope this helps

Edited by Gray The Wulf

• 4 weeks later...