MMORPG news: new WM title Mavec seeking content creators;TibaME is compatible with WM

Guest Menneisyys

Guest Menneisyys

Mavec

As can be seen in THIS MoDaCo thread, there’s a brand new Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) title out there, Mavec. It’s quite a barebones game; you may still find it interesting, particularly if you would like to take part in content / mission creation.

Mavec5Main1.png

(VGA screenshot)

The game is accessible for download HERE.

Registering is pretty easy: just fill in your info in the first and then, the second dialog like in HERE and HERE. Interestingly, while the game is stated to be free, THIS web page speaks of some monthly cost.

Verdict

There still isn’t much to do in the game and there are few people playing it. Its forum is also pretty deserted. Also, the client is pretty much unreliable: on my VGA x51v, it was VERY slow (and used the CPU at 100%) and, on my VGA HTC Universal, it crashed upon entering the game (as of the current, tested version 5). However, you may still want to give it a try – hopefully, it behaves better on lower-resolution Pocket PC’s / MS Smartphones. Yes, the game is compatible with the latter platform too.

TibaME

If you’ve been a "dumbphone" or a Symbian user, you most probably have heard of TibaME, a highly popular MMORPG game for both MIDlet-enabled Java and Symbian platforms. (It has just been featured HERE at AAS; the comments of the article are worth checking out).

As I haven’t discussed the game in the MIDlet Bible, I’ve given it a try. I’ve tested the current 1.51 Basic version accessible for direct download HERE - note that there may be better-behaving, non-basic versions; I haven’t tested them all. If you have the time, you may want to test them too – see THIS for a complete list of supported handset, some having more advanced versions.

TibaMEInGame.png

(QVGA screenshot; the same on a 176*220 Smartphone is HERE)

Should you still not have an account, the game, as with Mavec, also allows for creating the account in-game as can be seen in HERE.

Compatibility

I had no problems running it on 176*220 MS Smartphones and QVGA Pocket PC’s / Smartphones. The game is runnable in Landscape mode. Please DO consult the MIDlet Bible (or, if you don’t want to be overwhelmed with information, “only” the “1.2.1 Installing a MIDlet Manager” section of my Opera Mini 4 tutorial) for more information on getting and installing Jbed. After installing Jbed, just click the above-linked JAR file and, as with Opera Mini 4, it’ll be deployed under Jbed. (This is all old hat and already known for you if you did install Opera Mini 4, the, in my opinion, currently the most useful and efficient Web browser for Windows Mobile.)

On VGA devices under Jbed (the most recommended MIDlet Manager), it refuses to run. I’ve also tested it under Jblend (because it allows for setting the RAM size); while the game started under it, it wasn’t able to use Net connections as can also be seen in HERE. Furthermore, as opposed to Jbed, only the numeric keys were usable on built-in (or external) thumbboards, making input pretty complicated. All in all, the game isn’t usable on VGA devices at all: neither under Jbed nor under Jblend.

Verdict

If you’re a fan of the game (or, just looking for a MMORPG client), make sure you give it a try.

Guest zehlein
Mavec

As can be seen in THIS MoDaCo thread, there’s a brand new Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) title out there, Mavec. It’s quite a barebones game...

Well, not that brandnew at all. In fact online for a few years now. But give it a try anyway, I had never any problem with it on my QVGA WM5 Asus device.