questions about BJII after 2 weeks owning it

Guest opticalc

Guest opticalc

0. The circular jog wheel... the manual says to spin it. But with my BJII it seems like its just a 4 button up/down/left/right system with a circular overlay on top... whats the deal with spinning it?

1. How can we disable the ATT startup music when phone starts up or shuts down?

2. OmapClock ver 0.2 overclocking at 288 locks up my BJII frequently. This was the recommended setting; how well does it work for everyone else?

3. I cant rearrange my start menu using the file explorer. When trying to copy/paste like suggested in a previous post, WM6 tells me the file already exists in that directory. Am I doing something wrong? Or should I just use the registry editor?

4. Is it possible to make shortcuts in the startmenu to Java apps? And to make them appear in the recently-used list?

5. OmapClock isnt a .cab file on my BJII, its an exe file. Why doesnt it show up in the recently used list? (Is it because its a .exe file and not an installed .cab?) Can we make the omapclock run at startup and overclock to a certain value (by using command line arguments or some other method)

6. Is it possible to change the lock/unlock mechanism to do like PalmOS where we just hit the red button to lock? And then to unlock you hit the red button then hit the center nav button? That was great on PalmOS.

7. Are there any registry editors that you use your desktop PC to edit the WM6 smartphone's registy from Vista? (I found one but it must just be XP only)

8. What is the registy editor best for the BJII?

9. When scrolling through large lists (like the windows folder), is there a page up/down we can use?

10. Why is it that sometimes the left quick button is the MORE button, and other times its G? Why not be standard here???

11. Where can I go to start learn on really get down and dirty with the main home screen editing and customizations?

Thanks guys. I'm trying to love the BJII, but WM6 smartphone is kinda annoying coming from PalmOS5. I think that if I can get some hacks/mods in to customize it I may really love it. I think the potential is there but not sure where to begin.

Guest halorin
0. The circular jog wheel... the manual says to spin it. But with my BJII it seems like its just a 4 button up/down/left/right system with a circular overlay on top... whats the deal with spinning it?

-The D-Pad spins, emulating the motion of scroll with an I-Pod. Just rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise.

1. How can we disable the ATT startup music when phone starts up or shuts down?

-There's a registry setting you have to toy with. You have to 'unlock' the phone through an application first to get into the registry. I'd recommend going to www.i607.org or www.blackjackusers.com or just searching around here. There's plenty of info on finding it.

2. OmapClock ver 0.2 overclocking at 288 locks up my BJII frequently. This was the recommended setting; how well does it work for everyone else?

-You know, I've only gone up to 26x. Anything above that just seems to lock up for me. I don't know how people are pulling off otherwise, but 288 freezes for me.

3. I cant rearrange my start menu using the file explorer. When trying to copy/paste like suggested in a previous post, WM6 tells me the file already exists in that directory. Am I doing something wrong? Or should I just use the registry editor?

-I've never tried it. I use SmartToolKit, personally.

4. Is it possible to make shortcuts in the startmenu to Java apps? And to make them appear in the recently-used list?

-Not that I know of. It'd definitely be cool for Opera Mini 4.

5. OmapClock isnt a .cab file on my BJII, its an exe file. Why doesnt it show up in the recently used list? (Is it because its a .exe file and not an installed .cab?) Can we make the omapclock run at startup and overclock to a certain value (by using command line arguments or some other method)

-Not sure.

6. Is it possible to change the lock/unlock mechanism to do like PalmOS where we just hit the red button to lock? And then to unlock you hit the red button then hit the center nav button? That was great on PalmOS.

-Not that I know of, sorry.

7. Are there any registry editors that you use your desktop PC to edit the WM6 smartphone's registy from Vista? (I found one but it must just be XP only)

-I've found success with a program called CeRegEditor. Do a Google search on it.

8. What is the registy editor best for the BJII?

-I use PHM and the one I mentioned above.

9. When scrolling through large lists (like the windows folder), is there a page up/down we can use?

-Not that I know of. I just scroll the D-Pad.

10. Why is it that sometimes the left quick button is the MORE button, and other times its G? Why not be standard here???

-Not sure what you mean.

11. Where can I go to start learn on really get down and dirty with the main home screen editing and customizations?

-I also can't help you here, but there's a section about it on this site I'm sure, and other places like the website I mentioned above. I use Facade, personally. There are a lot of great skins out for it if you look on Facade's website.

Guest opticalc

OK great, smarttoolkit, ceregeditor, and facade are what I need to look at next. I also hadnt seen the i607 wiki yet. Thanks a lot for all the pointers....

But I still dont "get" the d-pad though. The quick start guide or the users manual dont say anything about ta d-pad. Mine doesnt seem to "spin" at all. I guess by "spin", you mean like up, right, down, left, up, etc... would be "spinning clockwise", and up, left, down, right, up, etc would be "spinning counterclockwise"? If so that doesnt seem to be getting me anywhere, regardless of what program I run while spinning.

Guest halorin

Assuming you have a Blackjack II, your D-Pad should look like a wheel, without any directions really 'marked' on it. Put your thumb at the top of the D-Pad and physically rotate it to where you would press the D-Pad to go right. It should spin as you do this, and scroll whatever menu you're in down.

Look at about 15 seconds in here to see what I'm talking about.

Guest opticalc
Assuming you have a Blackjack II, your D-Pad should look like a wheel, without any directions really 'marked' on it. Put your thumb at the top of the D-Pad and physically rotate it to where you would press the D-Pad to go right. It should spin as you do this, and scroll whatever menu you're in down.

Look at about 15 seconds in here to see what I'm talking about.

Wow that scroll deal is pretty slick. it *does* rotate after all. It was so shiny and flush that I couldnt tell that it rotated. My attempts as this consisted of (like I said) actually pressing the up/right/down/left in quick succession... Im such a dumba**.

Thanks for straightening me out. This scroll wheel is slick.

Guest opticalc
LOL! thats pretty funny... you've never used a Ipod scroll wheel? Its not that complex to figure out lol

never used an ipod I always just had a cheap music player. thats why i got the BJII cause its supposed to be a decent music player + phone. My big problem is that my fingertips are really too dry to work the scroll wheel effectively. I just cant get good traction on it. First of all its soo smooth and flush that I couldnt tell that it rotated in the beginniner Then reading the manual and it telling me to spin it, I tried and just couldnt get it to work right b/c my fingertips just cant grip it enough to rotate very well. Thats why I was so confused. I need to put a tiny sticker or something in it that will give me better traction.

Is there anyway to increase the sensitivity of the scroll function?

Edited by opticalc

never used an ipod I always just had a cheap music player. thats why i got the BJII cause its supposed to be a decent music player + phone. My big problem is that my fingertips are really too dry to work the scroll wheel effectively. I just cant get good traction on it. First of all its soo smooth and flush that I couldnt tell that it rotated in the beginniner Then reading the manual and it telling me to spin it, I tried and just couldnt get it to work right b/c my fingertips just cant grip it enough to rotate very well. Thats why I was so confused. I need to put a tiny sticker or something in it.

Is there anyway to increase the sensitivity of the scroll function?

Im not sure about that. Ill look around and if i see anything ill holler at you