dropped my phone and stepped on it running to a bus stop

Guest fusi

yo

im hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this

i was semi jogging to the bus stop this morning as i was a bit late (after 4 hours sleep - technically floating) - i pulled my phone out of its holster to check the time - turned out to be a bad idea - it slipped out of my hand and onto the tarmac'd wet muddy surface (partial stream tbh), skidding along on its face - i was watching it in sort of slow motion - i started to panic, seemingly lost control of my feet and managed to step on it too - utter disbeleif

i had a quick look at it on the bus and had a better look at it when i got into work and it appears to be ok, despite rather severe scratches and buckles in the front screen-holding fascia - the screen itself and the front-facing camera is fine though! touch screen works fine, as does both cameras - the actual housing though is rather badly damaged along with the set of buttons immediately below the screen - one other thing to note is that the black housing on the backside of the device was slightly buckled at the back of the screen, but a little prodding around seemed to make it click back into place

the slide out tilt mechanism is definately more loose now, but still very useable - i think im very lucky, but i dont think i have insurance

so

i need a replacement front fascia, front set of buttons and ideally a new hinge mechanism - does anyone know where i can get these parts (ideally new and not used but i will settle for second hand parts so long as they arent damaged) and how much they will cost so that i can replace them myself?

thanks for reading

fusi

p.s. photo was taken on my mates iphone - sorry for the low quality, cant really see the damage :s

post-299485-1197369920_thumb.jpg

Edited by fusi

Guest hotphil

You may find you're covered under either phone insurance or your house insurance for accidental damage to it - worth checking. Best bet is probably to contact either the retailer that sold you the phone, or HTC directly and find out how much it will cost. I imagine they'll want to repair the unit themselves rather than just ship the parts, but you may be able to persuade them.

Hope your day doesn't get any worse.

cheers m8 - i bought the unit direct from t-mobiles website less than a month ago :'( ive only had it a couple of weeks im so gutted

thanks i hope it doesnt get any worse too - does remind me of somthing though - last week i was waiting at another bus stop and a van pulled up and a guy jumped out, it was really nasty weather, with puddles all over the pavement - so he jumped out and hopped around the pavement avoiding the puddles trying to get to whereever he was going as fast as possible - only his mobile jumped out of his pocket, slid across the floor and straight into a puddle in front of me - i exclaimed 'oh no!' - he picked it up and said to me:

'ah its only a phone'

cheers

fusi

no insurance :/ i dont trust other people to repair my things either lol - they might bugger something else up in the process of fixing it! anyone know any spares websites?

yo had a look at that site - they dont look like htc oem casings to me :s the pictures show an extra button next to the power button and and back cover isnt the matt black you find on standard units - you sure theyre not cheap knock-offs?

ouch.jpg

that pic gives you a bit of an idea - looks worse in real life, the metal front plate is buckled at the bottom of the screen and the buttons are all scraped - the side plastic housing has the silver paint ripped off it and the sliding mechanism is really loose now - i can push one side of it and itll move about 2-3mm up without the other side moving at all - i recall this being rather tight before i dropped it :(

im so kicking myself :'(

Guest andrewkeith5

prices are in US$ so half em for proper pounds: (all HTC proper genuine parts)

HTC TyTN II Generic OEM Housing $79.99

HTC TyTN II Generic OEM Outer Keypad $9.99

HTC TyTN II Generic OEM Sliding Mechanism $39.99

7-10 Day Regular Shipping $5 or 4-Day Express $19.50 or 2-day Express $38.50

= $149.47 = £72.97 with the 4-day shipping

Expensive yes, but i would imagine it would be more expensive to have someone else do it for you. I can personally reccomend the website - very good and they only ever seem to stock genuine parts (though as i don't buy everything they stock i cant guarantee that)

www.cnn.cn or http://cnn.cn/shop/tytn-kaiser-c-277_447.html is the Kaiser page. They don't have T-Mobile branded ones AFAIK but they do have the generic ones for referfence.

I Rule:)

Hope you get it fixed soon

Andrew