A few questions

Guest jmoak

Can I add my own message tones? I know how to add my own ringtones but what about message tones? My ringtones that I have added do not show up under message tones.

Also when I open something up how do I go about closing out of it completly? It seems when I mess with my ringtones or contacts after and I back out of it. I can go under task manager and see that it is still open. Why is this?

Guest kwoodall
Can I add my own message tones? I know how to add my own ringtones but what about message tones? My ringtones that I have added do not show up under message tones.

Also when I open something up how do I go about closing out of it completly? It seems when I mess with my ringtones or contacts after and I back out of it. I can go under task manager and see that it is still open. Why is this?

If you go to Settings - Sounds you should find all your various alert tones and ring tones are set here and, at least in my case, all the sounds I have added to the Shadow show up here.

Microsoft originally intended it this way so that once you launched an app, it was always in memory to launch again. They claim that when memory gets low they close apps, but I've never seen this happen. Use Task Manager to close apps as required.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Thanks for the help guys. I figured I would just have to close them myself with task manager. As far as message tones goes I added a file to the ringtones folder and it shows up for a ringtone but not a message tone. Should I be putting the file under music? Its an MP3 if that matters

Guest Honestly77
Thanks for the help guys. I figured I would just have to close them myself with task manager. As far as message tones goes I added a file to the ringtones folder and it shows up for a ringtone but not a message tone. Should I be putting the file under music? Its an MP3 if that matters

He said go into settings - sounds and all your SOUND files should show up and you should be able to set them there...not from the change ringtone screen.

Am I  right?

Start - Settings - Sounds

brings me to the same place as going to change ringtone. It also has the same result. My ringtone is under ring tone but not under new text message.

Edited by jmoak

Guest badbob001
Text alerts always need to be .WAV files

Are you sure? I am able to select the following to be alerts for 'New text message':

alert - T-Mobile Shadow.mp3

alert - RainDrop.wma

alert - New_Reminders.wav

No .mid files (midi) though. Of course, being able to select it and having it work are not the same since I've seen some formats of .wav or .wma that don't play in windows mobile. Best to see if it plays on media player mobile first.

Edited by badbob001

I tried placing it in the windows folder. It still only shows up under ring tone. I will try a .wav and .wma and see if that works. So is anyone here actually using there own ring tone as a message tone here? Also why doesn't the windows folder show up in the file explorer when look at my device from my PC?

• 2 months later...
Guest funstealer

When you hook your phone up to your PC, find you mobile device. The screen that you see next is MY DOCUMENTS on your device, but there is also another folder called MY WINDOWS MOBILE BASED DEVICE. In that contains all of your phones system folders. In that folder theres another folder called APPLICATION DATA. In that folder is SOUNDS which is where your sound file needs to be, once its in there it can be used as a message tone.

So recap.

MY COMPUTER > MOBILE DEVICE > MY WINDOWS MOBILE BASED DEVICE > APPLICATION DATA > SOUNDS.

There ya go! If you still can't find it after that PM me.

Edit: Oh and it can be .MP3 or .WAV it doesn't matter.

Edited by funstealer