Backup guide-Dosnt work with UK Update (canary v0.98)

Guest DJHope

no need to decert if youve done it already restoring the IPSM will keep the phone decert.

making the process -

1) Backup IPSM

2) Install Update

3) Restart phone, dont bother modifying anything including language as it restores this to its former glory.

4) Restore IPSM

Now all settings backgrounds, pretty much everything INCLUDING cert will be the same as you had it before

Sorted

DJ Hope

Guest Pagemakers

I just followed the instructions at the beginning of this topic exactly.

My SPV said this:

Save IPSM

Not a valid disk!!

Now format disk!!

Saving IPSM!!

I waited an hour and still nothing. Any ideas?

Read the guide again, it states that if you can press the keys and it does something provided it hasnt said failed you have a good backup, it also says no longer than 30mins!

DJ Hope

Ok im really sorry but can you not read? read the guide!!! It says smartphone cannot read the card, that includes ALL smartphone software ONLY SMARTPHONE BOOTLOADER AND A WINDOWS HEX EDITOR CAN READ THIS CARD(TAKEN FROM THE GUIDE), READ THE GUIDE IN FUTRE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND YOU MUST TAKE THE CARD OUT BEFORE WINDOWS SMARTPHONE LOADS OR IT WILL WANT TO FORMAT THE CARD, ALSO AGAIN TAKEN FROM THE GUIDE.

DJ HOPE

Guest Deathrow
Sorry dude its got my passwords n s*** you know everything otherwise i would get someone to send it to you who has just done a fresh hard reset with cert off. I noticed that activesync didnt connect straight away to uncert (after the update finished) but others swear blind it still works with the update, oh well good job i didnt need it, i rekon that "Restore IPSM" could be a workaround for cert that nobody will be able to fix!

Also id be a tiny bit wary of using someone elses IPSM according to the xda developers the latest version of the xda bootloader writes a machine specific checksum to each SD card to stop people trading roms etc, you might be ok with IPSM tho since its not rom! No idea!

DJ Hope

Fianlly got it working. Uncerted another SPV, and then loaded it into my already updated SPV. But I can't do the Orange update anymore. When starting it, it just says.

alert

backup could not find the

necessary files to run.

Please contact customer

support.

I'm at work so haven't been able to check if this is just a badword shortcut.

Have anybody had the same problem, or do anybody know what's wrong?

Regards

Silas D-P

Guest Pagemakers

Christ you are a miserable sod djhope.

Thanks for your help - not.

Goodbye MoDaCo forum if your users are like this!

Yes - I may have missed something, but if you are going to be as point blank rude as you are I suggest, you don't bother replying to anyone.

Yeh i had this problem because i took startup files out of the windows startup folder. So im pretty sure its because whosever IPSM you used took various files out of IPSM/WINDOWS/STARTUP in the belief that it makes the phone run faster/stops orange from pushing updates to remove cert.

DJ Hope

Guest Deathrow
Yeh i had this problem because i took startup files out of the windows startup folder. So im pretty sure its because whosever IPSM you used took various files out of IPSM/WINDOWS/STARTUP in the belief that it makes the phone run faster/stops orange from pushing updates to remove cert.

DJ Hope

What is the file called??

Regards

Silas D-P

PS: Glad to see you make up again! ;)

Putting those files back didnt seem to make it work ;)

Anyways paul said he still has Orange Update/Backup working and he did it this way, strange!

The thing is the Action Engine files in the windows directory all have dk in them indicating that it wouldnt work properly anyways...........

So as yet i havnt got action engine (orange update/backup working)

DJ Hope

Guest Deathrow
Putting those files back didnt seem to make it work ;)

Anyways paul said he still has Orange Update/Backup working and he did it this way, strange!

The thing is the Action Engine files in the windows directory all have dk in them indicating that it wouldnt work properly anyways...........

So as yet i havnt got action engine (orange update/backup working)

DJ Hope

Damn..

Will you PM me if you do?

Regards

Silas D-P

The more I read this forum, and the developing spv situation ( unlocking, backing up, installing updates etc ) the more I realise this phone is for techno geeks only, and stands no chance as a mass market product.

Is this the way orange expect everyone with an spv to backup/update? or is this just because the uk update is not out yet?

Kevlar

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Er, I think you have the wrong end of the stick kevlar...

The Danish update was made available yesterday, and unsurprisingly reported back on here how great it all was. Us Brits, not to be outdone, then decided to try it as well, by changing the user locale on the phone. Seeing as Danish menus and links are irritating to the British this method allows you to apply the Danish update and then restor the UK settings, and all of your personal preferences.

Sorry for the missunderstanding, so the above method of backing up is only to use the Danish update? have I got that right?. Is orange backup good enough otherwise? What about unlocking for apps, is orange backup good enough for this purpose?.

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't had any need to even hard reset yet, and haven't unlocked either so all this seems a little complicated ATM.

cheers

Kevlar

Hiya

I know that at the begining of this thread someone asked if you could post a copy of IPSM.

I have some further questions, background: - I have a laptop with irda but no access to usb. I decerted my spv using a friends pc, a few days later it soft reset which replaced the cert. I quickly figured that this could happen quite frequently. it is not practical or possible for me to go round to use someones pc everytime i wanna decert it.

if someone posted a decerted ipsm could i use irda send to place the image on an mmc/sd card and reload. or could a normal image be decerted using hex edit?

if yes could someone please post a standard decerted IPSM?

Thanks

Sorry for the missunderstanding, so the above method of backing up is only to use the Danish update? have I got that right?. Is orange backup good enough otherwise? What about unlocking for apps, is orange backup good enough for this purpose?.

There are two reasons for the full, full backup that this thread is talking about:

1) You install the Danish update and then decide you want the UK one instead.

2) The update (either UK or Danish) fixes the unlock hack so you can't unlock the phone and you decide you'd rather live with the bugs than live withour GnuBoy and Doom.

In both cases the backup allows you to backup the state of the phone (Data and ROM on the OS) and then go back to the same state (in effect undoing the backup).

Orange backup backs up your data only so you can't undo a ROM update.

HTH,

Barry

So its offical installing danish update then restoring IPSM breaks orange update and backup! No matter since im just gonna restore my MMC complete backup when the uk update comes along if it does it through orange update.

For those who were unable to make a complete backup i imagine you should be ok since the uk update will undoutably be very similar to the danish update (web download and install) otherwise a hard reset will get the danish orange update and orange backup working again, but i doubt very much that its talking to the english server, since all the action engine files used to power orange update and backup are danish.

Also very interesting to see this in AELock.exe (which powers orange update and orange backup)

< w a p - p r o v i s i o n i n g d oc >

< c h a r a c t e r i s t i c t y p e = " S e c u r i t y P o l i c y " >

< p a r m - q u e r y n a m e = " 4 1 1 9 " / >

< p a r m - q u e r y n a m e = " 4 1 0 1 " / >

< p a r m - q u e r y n a m e = " 4 1 0 2 " / >

< / c h a r a c t e r i s t i c >

< / w a p - p r o v i s i o n i n g d o c >

DJ Hope

AELock.exe is also loaded when IE is.

I found this out when a ROM flash went dodgy, and corrupted one of the certificates (and a couple of programs). When I loaded IE, a screen popped up suggesting that AELock.exe wasn't certified.

"Rubbish", I said.

Firstly, thanks to DJHope for the good work - i have done the backup/upgrade/copy IPSM and it works a treat (especially if you read all of the instructions in one go ;) .

The only issue is that I can no longer use another network SIM in the phone as they have now made it so that the phone rechecks the SIM if you remove the battery (I think?)

Please see this new thread: http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic...p?p=17037#17037

I hope someone finds a work around here soon as this has buggered up the way I use the phone for business during the day somewhat...

dava

Guest Precognisant

I've managed to get my Orange update/backup working after a DK update and reload IPSM!!!!

Before the DK update I copied the following files to my PC;

AE_en.dll

AEB_orange_en.dll

AECommon.dll

AEL_orange_en.dll

AER_orange_en.dll

AERASManager11.dll

AEU_orange_en.dll

I then updated, reloaded my dumped IPSM and then copied the files to the //windows directory. Et Voila!

I know I didn’t need to use all of them but best to be safe than sorry. I think you probably just need the files with the _en component.

All that needs to go now is the 'orrible lockout on reciept of sms!

Pretty please a .doc/.pdf reader?

Guest Toothpick

I had the same problem ie. the screen jumps to the home screen too quickly yo insert the hack.

This worked for me, albeit trying about 5 times!

Pop your phone on tne cradle and wait for active sync to recognise the phone,

Copy the mxip files into a folder ie. my douments/uncert

Modify the files (you know what to do here!!!)

You should have two folders open now, the /windows folder from the smartphone and the /windows/uncert folder on the desktop

resize the folders so you can see the /windows from the smartphone on the top half of the screen and the /windows smartphone folder on the bottom half.

Copy the mxip files from the /windows smartphone folder.

take the phone out of the cradle and perform a hard reset

when the phone finally gets to the blue smartphone screen pop it back into the cradle.

Bring your mouse cursor onto the /windows/uncert folder.

Wait for the active synch icon on the bottom right of the screen to light up from grey to green.

Bring your cusor over to the /windows smartphone folder

Right click your mouse and it should give you the option to paste.

if it doesnt....... rapidly continue clicking right click and paste untill it does give you the option to paste.

OR DRAG THE FILES OVER

Once it does paste the files, it may ask you if you wish to convert files, click yes.

Wait for about ten minutes, the settings may have reverted to danish.

Reset settings. Use your common sense for this as you will know instinctively which keys to press to change language settings.

Reboot phone and it should be uncertified by now.

If not repeat.

it took me a while but it did work so please be patient.