Internet Sharing

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Hi

I just setup Internet Sharing on my Tytn II. It allows me to share my Tytn IIs FREE unlimited WAP Internet connection with my PC. It works over both USB & Bluetooth which is amazing as I`m using a 3 year old Bluetooth adapter under Vista 64bit, the default windows drivers work enough to enable me to join a PAN which is all that is required on the PC, USB mode is even easier to setup.

So I am now able to surf full webpages on my laptop/desktop including checking email @ http://www.googlemail.com and signing into web messenger @ http://webmessenger.msn.com but becuase I have a WAP only connection my Tytn II accesses the Internet via proxy so I had to enter the proxy server addresses in Internet Explorer in order to be able to browse websites.

To think that I can now browse the Internet for free is really great. Who needs a full Internet data plan?? I am also getting about 7kb/s data transfer rates when connected this way which is lower then I expected as I have a 3G connection but its still faster then 56k modem at least.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Subliminal Aura

Old news dood.

I'm getting 600-700kbps via orangewap under hsdpa.

Limited by my old bluetooth 1.1 card you should be able to get 1.8mbps using a bt2 adapter.

It works over both USB & Bluetooth which is amazing

You know you can set it up to act as a WiFi access point too?

Bit slicker than Bluetooth, you just need to change a setting to 'relabel' the Bluetooth PAN to use the Kaiser's WiFi adapter instead so when you kick off the Bluetooth PAN you will actually use WiFi instead.

Have a search on XDA Developers as there's a good how-to....think I posted here about it a while back, but don't have it to hand, apologies!

In fact I think I recall someone posting about an application that did the config for this WiFi fiddle a while back? Anyone seen this?

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Old news dood.

I'm getting 600-700kbps via orangewap under hsdpa.

Limited by my old bluetooth 1.1 card you should be able to get 1.8mbps using a bt2 adapter.

I am only using a FREE WAP connection I don't suppose its setup by the Telco to be much good - by that I mean fast. We can't get HSPDA here yet on PAYg the best is 3G and even when I`m connected by that I`m only getting a max of 7kb/s when downloading. I guess becuase its a WAP only proxy connnection going through a bluetooth PAN that its not much good, but strangely when I use the 3G connection on the Tytn II itself - its a lot faster, it slows down somewhere when sharing the connection to a PC. Also it seems when I first connect it is much faster at about 7kb/s then it becomes really slow going down to 1kb/s or less, I guess the FREE WAP connection ain't much use when using in this fashion.

I know the Telco didn't have full web browsing in mind when the setup the WAP connection so I expect a full Internet data plan would yeild much better results similar to what your achieving, but your only using orangewap so to get 600-700kbps when downloading on a PC seems incredible. The latest thing to come out here is Mobile Broadband from vodafone where you plug a 3G modem into your laptop and get broadband speeds on your PC over the mobile network.

I wonder how this mobile broadband would differ from having a full Internet data plan from my current Telco which I could share with my PC, I wonder if it would still show down after sharing??? it is charged per mb of data so I haven't bothered with that option yet and besides I can get Internet access at home via wifi and at my mothers over dialup if i wish which suffices so I have no real need for mobile Internet but having said that its nice to have the option if/when its needed, I like having Internet access on my Tytn II.

• 2 months later...
Guest Subliminal Aura
You know you can set it up to act as a WiFi access point too?

Bit slicker than Bluetooth, you just need to change a setting to 'relabel' the Bluetooth PAN to use the Kaiser's WiFi adapter instead so when you kick off the Bluetooth PAN you will actually use WiFi instead.

Errr slicker ? definately not I don't fancy thge idea of messing around creating an adhoc connection everytime I want to use it...

All I do is turn on bluetoohICS from the phone and place it in my pocket. Nothing else needs to be as my laptop is configured to actively look for the phone and build the connection automatically.

Guest Webreaper

For those of you using this with 'unlimited' data plans like T-Mobiles w'n'walk, etc., you should be aware that in 99% of cases, tethering (as it's called - when you access your phone's data connection through your laptop) breaks the fair-usage T&Cs, and may result in you getting billed for your data.... Be careful.