To touch or enhanced?

Guest Elfeh

Hey folks,

I about to buy myself an HTC touch which Ive had my eye on for months (waiting for my 18 month contract to expire).

I've decided to get one of these free by redemption 12 month contract things with a 550i (which I've no intention of using) & buy the touch retail unlocked. (By the way has anyone here done similar do these redemption contracts payout?)

My question; is it worth paying the extra for the enhanced or not?

My usage is likely to be light mostly calls, texts & diary function. I have a sat nav already setup in an old Mio which works perfectly & I gave up watch videos etc on my pda/phones after the show off factor became dull!

Therefore I'm guessing I need not bother with the enhanced as I'm not going to install loads of apps outside those it takes to get the phone running both fast & smoothly enough for my day to day use.

I would consider the dual but the lack of wifi & form factor go against it.

Thanks in advance.

Elf

Guest chucky.egg

Not used the Enhanced or the Dual, but I would say get a regular-boring-old-Touch

I don't like the design of the Dual (smaller screen, bigger chassis) very much.

My Touch is just fine (well, needs a rebuild actually cos I tried to install some very old apps) and it happily runs Calendar, Contacts, Messaging, PIE etc all day long. Easily carried in your suit pocket, and battery lasts a good 2+ days.

I've recently done the 4Mb Page Pool tweak (thanks again Paul!) which releases more memory, but TBH I wouldn't have noticed the difference if I hadn't done it myself.

Hello again,

Interestingly having just seen the Dual in an orange shop I was surprised to find it wasn't too far off the Touch in size or attractiveness.

But the lack of wifi really puts me off. I started browsing the orange site on the Dual & the pages seemed rather slow to populate. So it seems like it would be expensive & slow for browsing compared to wifi alternatives available in London.

Which leads me to think I'l get the Touch Enhanced... Shame tho as the 400mhz processor would be benefit, as touchflo seemd to run really smoothly.

Does the touch benefit enough form overclocking to allow touchflo to run smoothly?

Arrrgh in light of the fact that the dual is as near as dammit the same size as the touch & given its higher spec, plus reading a few rave reviews... Also from my experience playing with them both & the dual running much smoother it looks like I'm going to get the dual!

So do they make micro sd wifi cards?

• 3 months later...
Guest kbywg
Not used the Enhanced or the Dual, but I would say get a regular-boring-old-Touch

I don't like the design of the Dual (smaller screen, bigger chassis) very much.

My Touch is just fine (well, needs a rebuild actually cos I tried to install some very old apps) and it happily runs Calendar, Contacts, Messaging, PIE etc all day long. Easily carried in your suit pocket, and battery lasts a good 2+ days.

I've recently done the 4Mb Page Pool tweak (thanks again Paul!) which releases more memory, but TBH I wouldn't have noticed the difference if I hadn't done it myself.

What is this "4Mb Page Pool tweak which releases more memory" and where can I learn more about it?

Guest simon211175

do not get the regular Touch. I really liked the device until I actually got one. The phone is slow, often unresponsive, fails to register a call coming in sometimes until the call has gone to answer phone, etc etc.

I've still got mine (as I can't afford to change yet), and have managed to help it slightly by overclocking it to 299MHz. I would suggest the enhanced version instead - the extra memory should help it loads, and then you can still overclock it if necessary.

I'm using the original one at the moment and it's incredibly slow, all the RAM is occupied when I surf online even with the custom ROM I've installed supposedly freeing up more RAM.

I'm selling it and going for the Enhanced (which I'm paying less for!), don't make the same mistake!