Sideshow comes to Windows Mobile (and not from MS)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Despite rumours of Sideshow support being baked into Windows Mobile by MS, and Sideshow support being touted by i-mate for their devices... the first evidence i've seen of it actually being available comes from James Woodall of Ikanos Consulting, with his application 'Go Gadgets'.

At James' Blog, he writes...

Today we announced Go Gadgets Beta 2. This allows you to turn any Windows Mobile 5/6 device into a Windows SideShow device. Once enabled, the Windows SideShow gadgets will allow you to do many things, such as controlling Windows Media Player, control a PowerPoint presentation, read your stocks etc...

Currently we support Bluetooth/USB/WiFi/GPRS connectivity.

Below is a video we recording that demonstrates the software:

Windows Mobile 6 device controlling Windows Media Player using Windows SideShow

Interested? I sure am! Head on over if you want to apply for the Beta!

:(

P

PS If this doesn't excite you... WATCH THE VIDEO!

[Via: Engadget Mobile]

Guest James Woodall
Looks very good, will have to give them an email, but how does it work regarding over GPRS/3G?

Hi,

Thanks very much for the interest in our software.

Kimbie, the GPRS/3G connection works using a proxy server in the cloud. When the device is out of range of Bluetooth/WiFi/USB (and the user specifies to connect via 'Mobile Web') the device pings the server. The content is then relayed from the PC to the server and is picked up by the device either on-demand or on a specified time (ie: every 5 minutes).

Obviously, the web connection isn't suitable for fast remote control functionality at this stage, it does provide a fantastic way of being notified on stock changes, auction bidding statuses, shopping lists etc...

Hope this helps,

-james

Ikanos Consulting

Edited by James Woodall

Guest xorangefirex

Really looks like an intriguing and worthwhile application. Definitely worth taking a look at. For everyone who hasn't watched the video you have to watch it. I was not interested at first glance at the post, but once you see it you will be as excited as Paul and I. Don't miss out on this.

Guest creamhackered

Thank you for your interest in our Go Gadgets software.

We are currently experiencing high demand for places on the beta programme. Your name has been added to the queue, and you will receive an e-mail invitation to join the beta as soon as the next phase begins.

Thank you for your patience.

-The Go Gadgets Team

Ikanos Consulting Ltd

BOO!

Guest Paul (MVP)

haha!

So i've installed it now, and had a quick play... Bluetooth is a pain as Bluetooth ActiveSync is just a PITA, but over WiFi it rocks! I'd like to see full functionality over non-proxied GPRS, but it has great potential. Now to find some decent sideshow gadgets :(

P

Guest Dr_Billie

Did only paul received the app? I also got the auto-reply mail and still haven't had any mail from them. I also have a question, do the windows sideshow gadgets appear in the windows sidebar? Or is this another application? I just can't figure how to get the sideshow bar, but the sidebar i can find easily.

Guest Confucious

Paul does appear to be the only one who received an invite :(

Control Panel->Hardware and Sound -> Windows SideShow

I actually cheated to find that as I didn't have a clue either, I just went to start menu and typed Sideshow in the search box - Vista makes it easy for idiots like me!

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.