Wife broke my touchscreen!

Guest mandt

Ok so I'm sitting at the bar, phone in pocket. missus comes over and sits on me

Result: cracked screen, from top to bottom, and now it won't respond to any touches at all :D

Oh and I don't have insurance...

So my options are, send it to T-Mo's repair centre or do it myself

I can get a new screen here which seems like a reasonable price to me, but how hard is it to do? I see from nirpaudyal's post here that some soldering is required, is this normal? if so I think I'll send it away, but how much can I expect to be charged by T-Mo?

Or are there other options open to me?, can anyone else repair it?

Cheers and Merry Xmas :(

To be honest I dont think it will require soldering. I have replaced quite a few PDA touchscreens and they have never required soldering. Most have unique pin slots for wiring to plug into any mainboards. The touchscreen should be attached to the LCD by means of double sided tape (thin around the border) and can be prized apart with some gentle love....

I dont see any reason why you cant fix it yourself, you will save a bundle. I didnt check your link for the LCD screen replacement but make sure it has the touchscreen included....not just an LCD. In many cases of the old Dell AXIMS and HP Compaq's the screen's could be seperated (touch and LCD) so make sure the replacement is an all in one.

If your careful enough and have good tools the job should really only take 30-50mins and you will be up and running again. Just note that in some rare cases non genuine manufactured spare parts are in no way as good as the genuine deal and can present poorer quality. I have had a few touch screens that where off in terms of accuracy and nothing could be done to fix the alignment (problem was in the manufacture of the goods not the unit).

I would hunt around a few websites (XDA developpers) for a tear down tutorial or something that shows a screen replacement of your unit. No doubt there will be hidden plastic catches and lugs that snap hold things together that without a guide will seem difficult to solve...but try anyway!!! I always do. Take your time and dont rush....examine why something doesnt come apart dont just blindly use blunt force trauma to get it open. Running a Bread clip (the plastic square tie on bread) to push between plastics to seperate them if need be works wonders and doesnt scratch.....

Good luck....I dont think youll need it.

Wow.. that's a bitch! My girlfriend sits on my lap all the times, but its damn right uncomfortable so I take my phone out after a minute or so!

But I do always make sure the screen is against me, not facing outwards when in my pocket

Guest Mysterious Stranger
To be honest I dont think it will require soldering. I have replaced quite a few PDA touchscreens and they have never required soldering. Most have unique pin slots for wiring to plug into any mainboards. The touchscreen should be attached to the LCD by means of double sided tape (thin around the border) and can be prized apart with some gentle love....

Of HTC devices, only early 36XX iPaqs and the Wallaby had a touchscreen that had a gated, removable ribbon connector. *EVERY* HTC PDA screen since then ( be it a sony, toppolly or samsung screen inside an ipaq, treo, HTC or XDA / SPV unit ) has a touchscreen ribbon that is soldered to the main LCD ribbon. There are many, many tutorials on this and other PDA websites. So long as you have the correct touchscreen replacement, a steady hand, some flux, and a decent soldering iron you'll be able to manage no problem.

M.S

Guest dolbe666
Of HTC devices, only early 36XX iPaqs and the Wallaby had a touchscreen that had a gated, removable ribbon connector. *EVERY* HTC PDA screen since then ( be it a sony, toppolly or samsung screen inside an ipaq, treo, HTC or XDA / SPV unit ) has a touchscreen ribbon that is soldered to the main LCD ribbon. There are many, many tutorials on this and other PDA websites. So long as you have the correct touchscreen replacement, a steady hand, some flux, and a decent soldering iron you'll be able to manage no problem.

M.S

you sure about that? Ive seen a tutorial on how to take apart a TYTN II and it included romoving the screen and disconnecting the ribbon and it just fits into a small flat socket that can be unplugged if you need to replace the screen. Check xda-dev for more info on replacing the touch screen

Ok a couple of points on the above,

The screen I linked to above is the LCD including digitiser, these two parts should already be assembled right?

If that's correct all I need to do is fit them, it certainly looks like a simple ribbon in the photo

I'm still curious to know what I can expect T-Mo to charge me for repair, but I need to send them the phone before they'll give me a quote :D

One more thing, bread clip? do you mean one of these, jeez I haven't seen one in years, didn't know they still existed :(

Guest Confucious

When my Universal broke O2's repair company quoted me £150 for a new motherboard (the charger socket had snapped off) which I agreed to pay as I bought it off eBay. They failed to repair it in 7 days so just sent me a brand new one free of charge! Not sure you could gaurantee the same!

The other option people often don't think of is household contents insurance. After I lost my C500 on a drunken night out my contents insurance paid up for a new one, worth checking if you have accidental cover.

I am suprised T can't give you a quote though.

I am suprised T can't give you a quote though.

I guess it goes something like this "The screen is broken" "okay sir that'll be £150 (for a new screen and labour)" then it arrives at the repair place and actually you've broken the mainboard too. But they've already said it would be £150! So yeah, seems likely they'd want to make the diagnosis themselves :(

Guest Confucious

When I said quote I actually meant estimate.

They should be able to tell you how much it would cost for a straight screen replacement but obviously reserve the right to give a proper quote when they can see if any extra work need so be carried out.

Guest andrewkeith5

i think somebody with a similar break was quoted £150 by t-mobile in an earlier thread but told that carphone warehouse repair screens for a flat rate of £40 per handset

might be worth a try...?

Update:

Just visited Carphone Warehouse, who kindly informed me they can replace any screen for £45 :(

Only thing is their engineer is off until Jan 8th...

However I think that's for the LCD, not the digitiser, which is what I need

Popped into the T-Mo store and spoke to a knowledgeable guy who thinks around £120 is what I should expect to be charged, which isn't too unreasonable to me so I think I may opt for that route.

In the meantime I think I'll contact HTC and see what they can do...

Merry Xmas

you sure about that? Ive seen a tutorial on how to take apart a TYTN II and it included romoving the screen and disconnecting the ribbon and it just fits into a small flat socket that can be unplugged if you need to replace the screen. Check xda-dev for more info on replacing the touch screen

Very sure thankyou as I actually do this sort of stuff rather than just looking at it on the web!.....

The screen connects to the mainboard through a push fit socket. The*digitiser* connects to the screen via 4 soldered connections. I've attached pictures of the 60H00091-00M toppolly screen that the kaiser uses and circled the connections for the digitiser / touchscreen to be soldered to. Why not check xda-devs for more incorrect info?....

KTHNXBAI.

M.S

p.s you'll notice we're talking about the digitiser touchpanel section that can be seperated from the LCD and not just 'disconnecting the screen' btw which is all the xda-dev's kaiser dissassembly covers.

post-254928-1198562043_thumb.jpg

post-254928-1198562186_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

You can get a non original compatible touchscreen for around £20. Fitting it yourself will void any remaining warranty, involve soldering, and take you about an hour. An 'official' repair centre ( eg carphone whorehouse, HTC, Anovo etc etc) will not fit a touchscreen they will fit an entire module i.e LCD and touchscreen as it's quicker and they make more money - plus they assume you have no other option so you're a captive sale - just like how a car garage will fit a replacement gearbox rather than change an internal cog...

PPCTechs (via expansys) will do a touchscreen only repair but you'll need to check with them for prices. Warranty will be void again, as they're not manufacturer authorised.

There are many other people who'll do the repair - just don't trust it to your local itty bitty phone repairer...

M.S

Guest dolbe666
Very sure thankyou as I actually do this sort of stuff rather than just looking at it on the web!.....

The screen connects to the mainboard through a push fit socket. The*digitiser* connects to the screen via 4 soldered connections. I've attached pictures of the 60H00091-00M toppolly screen that the kaiser uses and circled the connections for the digitiser / touchscreen to be soldered to. Why not check xda-devs for more incorrect info?....

KTHNXBAI.

M.S

p.s you'll notice we're talking about the digitiser touchpanel section that can be seperated from the LCD and not just 'disconnecting the screen' btw which is all the xda-dev's kaiser dissassembly covers.

I see what you mean about the digitiser beeing solderd, but from the lcd replacement screens ive purchased in the past the digitiser comes with the lcd screen so there is no soldering needed. the tutorial i saw was based on the digitiser and screen being as one

Guest andrewkeith5

yeah i agree if the parts are soldered together they usually should be one component

sllling them seperately would be like saying "well the phones broken but only one resistor has gone, so you only need replace that bit". its a darn sight easier and quite a lot cheaper to just replace the whole lot and say "sorry, can't be fixed".

yeah i agree if the parts are soldered together they usually should be one component

sllling them seperately would be like saying "well the phones broken but only one resistor has gone, so you only need replace that bit". its a darn sight easier and quite a lot cheaper to just replace the whole lot and say "sorry, can't be fixed".

They're freely available as seperate componants on ebay. 1 company ( eg sony, toppolly, samsung ) makes the LCD, another makes the touchscreen ( eg foxconn) and HTC assemble the componants. It'd be like saying ' your borg warner gearbox has seized so you need a new ford engine to go with it' - some people will sell you a new entire car instead but others will be able to fix it and competant DIY'rs will sort it themselves.

Decent phoner repairers WILL replace 'one resistor' - nokia 8810's from back in the day used to have issues with a fusable resistor dying and the slide microswitch failing. Most nokia service centres could do the repairs onsite. It's shops without service centres you have to avoid eg phones4u as they'll just upsell a new device.

M.S

Guest dolbe666
They're freely available as seperate componants on ebay. 1 company ( eg sony, toppolly, samsung ) makes the LCD, another makes the touchscreen ( eg foxconn) and HTC assemble the componants. It'd be like saying ' your borg warner gearbox has seized so you need a new ford engine to go with it' - some people will sell you a new entire car instead but others will be able to fix it and competant DIY'rs will sort it themselves.

Decent phoner repairers WILL replace 'one resistor' - nokia 8810's from back in the day used to have issues with a fusable resistor dying and the slide microswitch failing. Most nokia service centres could do the repairs onsite. It's shops without service centres you have to avoid eg phones4u as they'll just upsell a new device.

M.S

All I,m saying is if he isnt that technically minded to be able to solder the digitiser it may be esier if he got the lcd with the digitiser. yes they do sell them sepperately for more advanced users. but the reality is that not eeryone has the knowledge or steady hand to propely do electronic soldering. its too easy to accidently burn the board your soldering to or cross the connections by accidently putting the solder too close together and letting it arch.

If you can do the soldering and are good with small circuit boards then go for the seperate digitiser but if not go for the complete lcd and digitiser in one

All I,m saying is if he isnt that technically minded to be able to solder the digitiser it may be esier if he got the lcd with the digitiser. yes they do sell them sepperately for more advanced users. but the reality is that not eeryone has the knowledge or steady hand to propely do electronic soldering. its too easy to accidently burn the board your soldering to or cross the connections by accidently putting the solder too close together and letting it arch.

If you can do the soldering and are good with small circuit boards then go for the seperate digitiser but if not go for the complete lcd and digitiser in one

It's not a circuitboard you're soldering to when replacing the touchscreen. If you read the 'how to's you're better off not using ANY new solder and just fluxing and re-flowing the existing sodler. No burning, no cross connections, no small circuitboards, no solder too close...

A digitiser is £10-£20, an LCM for the kaiser including a new digitiser is around £90. You're soldering onto the broken LCD anyway so can't hurt the phone, and if you do make a mess of it you can just get a new LCM assembly anyway so you're not much worse off from trying, and can't actually damage anything major despite the scare story above. Seen arcing during welding with plumbing solder but never with phone repairs!

M.S

Guest dolbe666
It's not a circuitboard you're soldering to when replacing the touchscreen. If you read the 'how to's you're better off not using ANY new solder and just fluxing and re-flowing the existing sodler. No burning, no cross connections, no small circuitboards, no solder too close...

A digitiser is £10-£20, an LCM for the kaiser including a new digitiser is around £90. You're soldering onto the broken LCD anyway so can't hurt the phone, and if you do make a mess of it you can just get a new LCM assembly anyway so you're not much worse off from trying, and can't actually damage anything major despite the scare story above. Seen arcing during welding with plumbing solder but never with phone repairs!

M.S

believe me ive seen some pretty bad workmanship done on repairing phones. Ive had to fix phones that people thought they could do themselves just to find out they dont know what they are doing. yes its easy to solder if you know how but even I have burnt a connection while learning.

you give advise as if everyone can do what you can do. I give advice with the assumption the person has no previous knowledge, that way they dont get in over their head and damage something. not everyone is technically minded as you and I.

believe me ive seen some pretty bad workmanship done on repairing phones. Ive had to fix phones that people thought they could do themselves just to find out they dont know what they are doing. yes its easy to solder if you know how but even I have burnt a connection while learning.

you give advise as if everyone can do what you can do. I give advice with the assumption the person has no previous knowledge, that way they dont get in over their head and damage something. not everyone is technically minded as you and I.

You're missing the point of op's post. He asked was soldering invoved 'to repair' others said no it just clips in, meaning the entire LCM, I explained yes for the digitiser, but it's easy (and it *is* easy my 10 yr old does it) and you chip in with scare stories of 'arcing solder' and 'burning circuitboards' doom and gloom despite the area being soldered not actually being connected to the phone at the time :(

Yes, might be daunting if you haven't done it before, but if you screw it up, you're no worse off than before as you still only have to buy a new LCM with digitiser already attached...

The person *asked* if soldering was invovled, I was just pointing out it was, and that it was easy... in terms of soldering phone componants, it's probably the easiest soldering job to do inside a phone as the connections are 3mm wide and spaced 3 or 4 mm apart. Not exactly a 'small area' for electronics soldering :D Once you have 1 lined up, because you are soldering a ribbon, the others are lined up with it automatically. I've written guides that novices have followed with no issues.

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest Confucious

MS - Can't fault you on what you said - except

but if you screw it up, you're no worse off than before
-If I tried I would probably burn myself, drop the soldering iron and burn a whole in the furniture etc - but then I am cack handed and the OP probably isn't.

If it was me I'd give it to a mate who isn't cack handed and get him to follow your instructons ;-)

dolbe666's advice was aimed more at people like me rather than the op.

Guest dolbe666
But I also got his point and maybe you didn't ;-)

yes I got his point. it is easy to solder the digitiser, it does save money to do this if the problem is with the digitiser. but like you said some people just dont or wont go to the trouble of taking apart their phone and soldering a connection, some wont even go to the point of taking th ephone apart. their are different levels of experience needed to do each part of the repair, not everyone has that experience or wants to attempt it.

for instance. my girlfiend has the vario III and if her screen went I dont think she could do the repair work herself. she is very intellegent but doesnt have the confidence to do it. even if i showed her every step.

I dont know what the posters abilities are when it comes to repairing the phone thats why I gave an easier alternative. If he is more advanced then the soldering will be the cheaper way

this was not meant to turn into a debate but somehow went that way. at the end of the day everyone has their own oppinions and should be respected for them. Mysterious Stranger was in no way wrong with his solutions, and neither was I,