Former 8525 user, now have a BlackJack II...

Guest Merk Man

Guest Merk Man

So I should be in bed, but I just found these forums and wanna get one question out of the way.

Had a Cingular 8525 for about 16 months. Loved the device, but it failed on Christmas and I just got a Blackjack II to replace it. Used iGuidance and a BT receiver for driving directions when I travel, etc. Made business trips and other travel a breeze. But the Smartphone doesn't have a touchscreen, and that makes iGuidance a no go. Google Maps looks great, especially with the traffic info, but I don't see where it does turn-by-turn directions.

I've read a little bit about Garmin Mobile XT, and I already have a 6GB MicroSD from my previous phone. Is that all I need to get things setup? Any instructions for putting Mobile XT on a larger memory card are appreciated.

I have both an 8525 and a BJ II. Someday soon I will sell the 8525 and pick up a Tilt.

On the 8525 I also use iGuidance, and after trying many GPS apps over the years I found it to be the best out there. I leave the Bluetooth GPS in car powered on all the time so it’s always locked and there are no delays.

I read that Garmin Mobile XT is one of the best apps for a WM6 Smartphone edition. The Blackjacks II GPS has a few limitations. It seems to take forever to lock on three satellites and it drains the battery fast. I also found that when you stop using the GPS it still drains the battery fast. You have to reset the device to fully disable the GPS.

SeanH

Edited by SeanH

• 2 weeks later...
So I should be in bed, but I just found these forums and wanna get one question out of the way.

Had a Cingular 8525 for about 16 months. Loved the device, but it failed on Christmas and I just got a Blackjack II to replace it. Used iGuidance and a BT receiver for driving directions when I travel, etc. Made business trips and other travel a breeze. But the Smartphone doesn't have a touchscreen, and that makes iGuidance a no go. Google Maps looks great, especially with the traffic info, but I don't see where it does turn-by-turn directions.

I've read a little bit about Garmin Mobile XT, and I already have a 6GB MicroSD from my previous phone. Is that all I need to get things setup? Any instructions for putting Mobile XT on a larger memory card are appreciated.

Google Maps does this, no problem.

Try the following:

Start Google Maps

Press "Menu", then select "Directions"

Set the Start Address, then the End address

Press "OK"

After a short delay while it thinks about it, you will get a set of turn by turn directions!

If you want to see it on the map, Press "Show"

You will see it on the map, and can use the number keys to navigate (4 - "Overview" 6 - "Next Step" etc)

Don't forget to turn on the GPS if you want it to monitor your progress (Menu - then press "u")

Cheers!

MadSci