Some questions regarding the BlackJack II

Guest JDMinPDX

Guest JDMinPDX

Alright, so I picked up a BlackJack II today since I grew quite fond of my first BlackJack. Anyway I am quite confused on the GPS capabilites with this phone. I have read that the GPS in the phone is locked down so that ONLY TeleNav can be used and Google Maps, etc CANT be used. Aparently there is a hack that fixes this... HOWEVER, I read that others dont havent any issues at all and that out of the box the GPS works with Google Maps, etc. Can someone confirm this? Whats the point of this hack then?

Next, I have read that the SDA Application Unlock can unlock this phone. Is this true? My wife had just ended her contract with Cingular and I would have called them to get the unlock code but now I am out of luck going that route. Or is there another method? I am traveling to Isreal in Feb and want to be able to take my phone with me without having to get a cheap ass Israel phone.

Guest widgetdude
Alright, so I picked up a BlackJack II today since I grew quite fond of my first BlackJack. Anyway I am quite confused on the GPS capabilites with this phone. I have read that the GPS in the phone is locked down so that ONLY TeleNav can be used and Google Maps, etc CANT be used. Aparently there is a hack that fixes this... HOWEVER, I read that others dont havent any issues at all and that out of the box the GPS works with Google Maps, etc. Can someone confirm this? Whats the point of this hack then?

Next, I have read that the SDA Application Unlock can unlock this phone. Is this true? My wife had just ended her contract with Cingular and I would have called them to get the unlock code but now I am out of luck going that route. Or is there another method? I am traveling to Isreal in Feb and want to be able to take my phone with me without having to get a cheap ass Israel phone.

First, all of that can be answered by the various posts on this site so get to reading :( . J/K The app is here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...-GPS-ACTIVATED/

I had to use it to activate the com4 option. The integrated option seems to be locked down on my phone however after both installing that GPS activation hack and using GPStest to get it the gps running in the background all of my apps work wonderfully. Your mileage will vary of course but don't give up. Try going outside after installing the hack and the GPStest app to get your first satellite signal. That may help.

Guest JDMinPDX
First, all of that can be answered by the various posts on this site so get to reading :( . J/K The app is here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...-GPS-ACTIVATED/

I had to use it to activate the com4 option. The integrated option seems to be locked down on my phone however after both installing that GPS activation hack and using GPStest to get it the gps running in the background all of my apps work wonderfully. Your mileage will vary of course but don't give up. Try going outside after installing the hack and the GPStest app to get your first satellite signal. That may help.

I found the hack, thanks. However I have yet to unlock my phone. I was asking this so I would have some knowledge before unlocking. Some users have said they havent needed to do the hack? I was wondering why and if that was true?

Guest Toiletrat
I found the hack, thanks. However I have yet to unlock my phone. I was asking this so I would have some knowledge before unlocking. Some users have said they havent needed to do the hack? I was wondering why and if that was true?

Hi I have the blackjack II. I had downloaded Google Maps on to my BJII pressed on the menu key went down to use gps clicked on it and with in a minute had picked up 3 sat's. I had not downloaded the gps hack. So now i'm wondering if the hack supposed to enhance the gps in any way? But once again it had detected sat's. And if thats what the hack is supposed to do than I guess it's a case by case thing with the BJII. lucky for the people who don"t have it active on their device that such a thing exsist.