Confirming unlocked GPS using Live Search

Guest jyalexop2003

Guest jyalexop2003

Ok. I downloaded the Live Search utility on my Black BJ2

and ran the application. I chose the 'Intermediate Driver' and 'Getting GPS position'

and in 1 minute I got the 'red' arrow (which I presume means satellite locked)

on my exact location.

There were multiple options for the com port including com1 through com9

available within Live Search. When I tried com4 I got a message saying that the GPS could not communicate

with com4. There was no modaco.com hack or anything. It worked out-of-the-box.

I then got in the car and drove to Home Depot and the red arrow moved in perfect sync turn-for-turn while on the trip via interstate.

Can I assume that the GPS on my BJ2/Black is unlocked and that I can use any mapping software1.gif with the GPS (in an attempt to get real GPS, without the need of a data1.gif plan)?

Guest JDMinPDX
Ok. I downloaded the Live Search utility on my Black BJ2

and ran the application. I chose the 'Intermediate Driver' and 'Getting GPS position'

and in 1 minute I got the 'red' arrow (which I presume means satellite locked)

on my exact location.

There were multiple options for the com port including com1 through com9

available within Live Search. When I tried com4 I got a message saying that the GPS could not communicate

with com4. There was no modaco.com hack or anything. It worked out-of-the-box.

I then got in the car and drove to Home Depot and the red arrow moved in perfect sync turn-for-turn while on the trip via interstate.

Can I assume that the GPS on my BJ2/Black is unlocked and that I can use any mapping software1.gif with the GPS (in an attempt to get real GPS, without the need of a data1.gif plan)?

Aparently some Blackjack 2 devices dont need the hack to get GPS to work with other programs. Some however do.

Guest jyalexop2003
Aparently some Blackjack 2 devices dont need the hack to get GPS to work with other programs. Some however do.

OK. But I'm still somewhat confused re: the com4 and the hack/unlocking.

When I run Live Search and select 'com4' I get GPS can't connect with com4.

What does that mean?

Does being able to just see the com4 port option while using Live Search

confirm that the GPS is unlocked and that the modaco hack is not needed?

If the GPS was locked (as are many apparently), would the com4 port option

have been available as an option setting within Live Search?

Does the hack activate the com4 port and/or allow you to see the com4 port

option as well?

Guest jyalexop2003
OK. But I'm still somewhat confused re: the com4 and the hack/unlocking.

When I run Live Search and select 'com4' I get GPS can't connect with com4.

What does that mean?

Does being able to just see the com4 port option while using Live Search

confirm that the GPS is unlocked and that the modaco hack is not needed?

If the GPS was locked (as are many apparently), would the com4 port option

have been available as an option setting within Live Search?

Does the hack activate the com4 port and/or allow you to see the com4 port

option as well?

Is this true (from howardforums.com). If so then just because I can use Live Search and real GPS does

not necessarily mean that the GPS is unlocked and any mapping app can used.

"You can't use the COM ports without the Modaco hack but that's what the intermediate driver is for. It's a DLL or something that sits between the OS and the GPS chip. The software communicates with the driver and the driver communicates with the chip. COM ports communicate directly with the chip".

"Within Live Search the COM ports are there but the modaco hack allows them to be used. The hack opens the communications to the COM ports. GPS hardware communicates on various ports so Live Search just has all of them listed so you can choose the one that matches your hardware."

Guest Wizkid69

Well.. I just got my BJ2 from ATT store this Saturday - 1/7/08. I installed the Modaco GPS activator, then installed Google Map and Live Search. I did not have any luck getting the GPS to run. I changed the GPS setting on both Google and Live to use COM4 and it would not load GPS position.

Is there something I need to change in my BJ2 or is it a defective handset?

BTW, right out of the box, I still can't get my ActiveSync to work with BJ2. So perhaps, it has something to do with that?

I've heard a lot of good things about BJ2 device and I would hate to return it for something else. Please help...

Guest thelostsoul

It seems the timeout in those applications is too short and the time it takes for the BJII to acquire a signal takes way too long.

Of eveything on the blackjack ii, the most disappointing feature thus far is the GPS. I say this only because it can take up to 10 minutes to acquire a signal sometimes. But let me just say, with the BJII, it's not a matter of unlocking the GPS. The GPS is not locked to any single application, but it is also not binded to a com port, which makes it less compatible. To remedy the compatibility, just install one of the two patches available here. I've tested both, both worked fine.

But I strongly suggest, before you say your device's GPS is broken or your having trouble, download this application:

http://www.chartcross.co.uk/products/WM00002_details.asp

Run it, and let it run next to an open window, outsite, anywhere with a decently clear view of the sky. Even outside, expect it to take a couple minutes. If your inside, expect it to take 10 minutes or expect to have to move outside.

The BJII is a great device, but the GPS needs work.

About the activesync problems:

Restart your device, reinstall (the latest) activesync from the microsoft website, reconnect your device and see what happens. Unless you have Vista? Then don't install activesync and use the mobile sync center.

Guest Wizkid69

Thanks for your post thelostsoul.

No luck so far, without the ActiveSync working, I can't even get your Chartcross GPS tester to work. I called Samsung and AT&T support level II. They are just idiots. I have installed ActiveSync 3-4 times and even try to connect via Bluetooth. Nothing works. The tech support asked me to call back tomorrow to escalate the support to level 3 - whatever that means.

I went to Cingular/ATT forum - a lot of people are having the same problem with ActiveSync on BJ2. If anyone finds any post that has this fix, please let me know.

Well... at least, I got my Internet dial-up networking to work with BJ2 Modem on my laptop. The rest are still questionable...

Guest thelostsoul

Hmm, Start - Settings - Connections - USB is set to ActiveSync when you try to connect to activesync, correct?

Are you using a USB2.0 port? Try the front and rear ports on your computer if they both exist (usually computer have usb2.0 in front, 1.1 in back) so it's worth trying both and seeing if it helps.

But if you still can't get it, if you have a storage card, you could go to start -settings - connections usb and set it to Mass Storage, where your device will act like a storage card reader for your computer and you can copy the .cab from the GPS test application. Let me know if you want to me to pull out the cab for you. Or you could just email it to yourself and download it through your email, but I don't know what data plan you have...

Guest Jayden0606

Of the ones that don't need the unlock their phone for the GPS programs to work, how many own a wine BJ II and how many own a black BJ II? I work for AT&T and I've asked some of my representatives to poll customer calls and everyone that stated their GPS working fine were all of the wine colored BJ IIs.

Guest thelostsoul
Of the ones that don't need the unlock their phone for the GPS programs to work, how many own a wine BJ II and how many own a black BJ II? I work for AT&T and I've asked some of my representatives to poll customer calls and everyone that stated their GPS working fine were all of the wine colored BJ IIs.

Ehm, mine works fine and it's black. It takes a while to get a signal, but as far as I can tell, that's normal...

Guest Jayden0606
Ehm, mine works fine and it's black. It takes a while to get a signal, but as far as I can tell, that's normal...

Did you unlock for GPS?

Guest Wizkid69
Hmm, Start - Settings - Connections - USB is set to ActiveSync when you try to connect to activesync, correct?

Are you using a USB2.0 port? Try the front and rear ports on your computer if they both exist (usually computer have usb2.0 in front, 1.1 in back) so it's worth trying both and seeing if it helps.

But if you still can't get it, if you have a storage card, you could go to start -settings - connections usb and set it to Mass Storage, where your device will act like a storage card reader for your computer and you can copy the .cab from the GPS test application. Let me know if you want to me to pull out the cab for you. Or you could just email it to yourself and download it through your email, but I don't know what data plan you have...

Well, I got my device working now with ActiveSync via Bluetooth connection. The Samsung tech support said WM6--Microsoft uses TCP/IP connection for USB with ActiveSync and there is a chance that in my Windows XP Firewall, there is a service that preventing the USB (TCP/IP connection really) to talk to the computer. However, Bluetooth in WM6 uses straight Serial port connection, so i was much easier to configure. Anyway it is working and , I will only use USB cable for charging and emergency modem cable for now.

Guest evan.oliver

I've noticed a few strange things about the GPS on the BJII.

I started with the modaco hack, but after the GPSID app got leaked I hard reset my phone and started using that.

If I point the garmin software @ the ID and use that, i usually get GPS in < 30s. If I enable the com4 port and point garmin at that, it takes 1-2 minutes to get GPS. So I'd recommend that if your program can use the ID, use it. It also has the added plus of turning off the GPS after your done using it, which the com4 method doesn't seem to do. HOWEVER, the ID seems to default to some crazy slow refresh rate, where the GPS app will seem to "click" forward every second or so instead of "flowing" smoothly like you'd expect. The com4 approach doesn't seem to do this, as long as you set the baud rate way up and uncheck the auto manage feature in the GPSID settings.

just my 2cp though - nothing offical.

- Evan

Guest jyalexop2003
I've noticed a few strange things about the GPS on the BJII.

I started with the modaco hack, but after the GPSID app got leaked I hard reset my phone and started using that.

If I point the garmin software @ the ID and use that, i usually get GPS in < 30s. If I enable the com4 port and point garmin at that, it takes 1-2 minutes to get GPS. So I'd recommend that if your program can use the ID, use it. It also has the added plus of turning off the GPS after your done using it, which the com4 method doesn't seem to do. HOWEVER, the ID seems to default to some crazy slow refresh rate, where the GPS app will seem to "click" forward every second or so instead of "flowing" smoothly like you'd expect. The com4 approach doesn't seem to do this, as long as you set the baud rate way up and uncheck the auto manage feature in the GPSID settings.

just my 2cp though - nothing offical.

- Evan

Don't most apps have an option to chose the GPDID/Inetemrdiate Driver?

I know WLS (Intermediate Driver) and GMaps (Settings By Windows) do and they work for me out of the box.

If Garmin has an option for the GPDID/Inetemrdiate Driver (and it sounds like it does from what you are stating)

then why use any hacks???

This getting more confusing, at least for me..

Guest evan.oliver
If Garmin has an option for the GPDID/Inetemrdiate Driver (and it sounds like it does from what you are stating)

then why use any hacks???

Because I can I guess. No reason in particular.

- Evan

Guest jyalexop2003
Because I can I guess. No reason in particular.

- Evan

So if the app your using (WLS, GMaps, Garmin, etc.) already allows you to chose the

Intermediate Driver with the app, then no hacks (Modaco or recent GPSID Config utility)

are required? Is this true?

Guest thelostsoul

Interesting...I woke up this morning and no applications are able to tell if I have GPS. GPS Test says "Looking for GPS device".... meh

I'm going to hard reset though because I want to redo some things on it anyway...hopefully GPS works after....

Guest jerome5136

Right after I got the thing, I tried google maps and WLS. no setting on either worked. then I tried the hack, nothing worked. then I installed garmin, nothing worked. I'm going to have to side with thelostsoul on this point. once you get it and get it out of the box, do a hard reset first thing, then install the hack and test. if it doesn't work, hard reset again and install the hack. I did mine until the com4 worked for everything, and now it aquires a single in a little less than 15 seconds outdoors, and amazingly, 30-45 second indoors.

Guest Sed8ed

I recieved mine took it out of the box...synced with activesync and then installed hack and GPS test and went outside and got lock in under two minutes....no hard reset out of the box....The only trouble I have had is that the GPSID never worked for me. If and when I do a hard reset I will try it out on it's own without the MoDaCo hack installed....and see how it goes.

Guest thelostsoul

Actually, I now have a new position!

Since it completely failed this morning, I finally did the hard reset. And what I can say is: Once you get it working, DON'T MESS WITH IT! :D

Don't install the COM4 hack! WLS, GoogleMaps, and Garmin Mobile XT all work perfectly fine without the hack. Only worry about the hack if you need other applications to work.

Now, I just start Garmin, and I get a lock within 30seconds! I'm not going to install the hack or the MS app because when I did, it eventually lead to more problems.

So my current position: hard reset until you get it working. Once you do, just use it like it is and don't mess with it :(

Guest evan.oliver
So if the app your using (WLS, GMaps, Garmin, etc.) already allows you to chose the

Intermediate Driver with the app, then no hacks (Modaco or recent GPSID Config utility)

are required? Is this true?

Yup. IMHO it works rather well that way. I'm experamenting with disabling the auto manage feature in the GPSID settings and jacking up the baud rate. It seems like if this box is checked the GPSID functions at 300 baud, which is crazy slow. Makes the GPS app seem to "lurch" forward awkwardly. I'll post with results, although i'm not getting overly hopeful

Guest Jayden0606

I finally got this badboy working... I didn't really test out what made it work as I installed three different unlockers (including the modaco one) and then installed Gmaps & WLS. Both work for me. w00t. Funny thing is that I have one more free of Telenav and I haven't tried to use it. Even dumber, I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. Why did it matter if I got GPS? Lol.

Yay!

Edited by Jayden0606

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tzar007

I tried installing Modaco hack but I got following error: "Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions"

Any ideas? Do I need to run some other utility before I run modaco hack?

My gps locks in gmaps (actually only twice so far and it took few minutes at least, outside).

I never managed to get a gps lock in WLS, so I am eager to try the hack.

Thanks,

Guest eman006
I recieved mine took it out of the box...synced with activesync and then installed hack and GPS test and went outside and got lock in under two minutes....no hard reset out of the box....The only trouble I have had is that the GPSID never worked for me. If and when I do a hard reset I will try it out on it's own without the MoDaCo hack installed....and see how it goes.

Had to replace my first one (within 30 days) due to the USB door busting off and the 90% battery charge issue (that is still there with the new one). I had the GPSTest with no Hacks working on the first one. Got the replacement, just installed Windows Live Search with no GPSTest, set to GPSID, and it picked up satellites within 2 minutes. This was in my car, so it had direct sight to the open sky. Be patient with it and don't mess with it too much if you only want the basic GPS functionality with Live Search or Google Maps. Just my 2 cents.