Cell + WiFi positioning from Navizon, plus make money on the move!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jimbouk

Yep. It is recording where you were when you "saw" that AP or that cell. It can then use the combined data from lots of users to get an approximate location for the cell or AP (obviously AP's will be a lot more accurate as range is a lot lower). I would assume they will also be able to finetune by using multiple cells/AP's to get even more accurate - even though its not "real" triangulation.

Guest DSylvian

Hi Paul!

Just downloaded it thru your referral. :(

Cheers from Portugal!

DSylvian

[Edit: For anyone who has logged points and referred me, PM me your MoDaCo Username for a small token of my appreciation (a free AdFree sub) :D]

Guest zippyioa

Ok I have registered (using your referral Paul) and installed the software.

It is running on my MDA Vario III and has detected several APs and Cells. I then clicked sync and these figures dropped to 0 so it appears to have sync'd ok.

I have waited around 15 minutes since then but my rewards still say 0? Is this impatience or am I missing something?

Cheers

Zippyioa

Guest toon andy

Hi All,

Just recently joined Modaco site - excellent stuff, just upgraded to a Kaiser on Vodafone - enjoying site and new toy very much.

Registered using your link and will see what happens!!

Cheers,

Andy

Guest 1straven
Ok I have registered (using your referral Paul) and installed the software.

It is running on my MDA Vario III and has detected several APs and Cells. I then clicked sync and these figures dropped to 0 so it appears to have sync'd ok.

I have waited around 15 minutes since then but my rewards still say 0? Is this impatience or am I missing something?

Cheers

Zippyioa

Took mine about 30 mins to sync. 400 points already on the way home in 3 miles. guess I need to do some more driving

Guest jontelfer

I seem to be able to log the same cell towers on a day to day basis. So on my commute I pass 35 towers and upload them, on my way home I log the same 35 again and it uploads OK again. Just passed 3000 points - you'll get my referral at some point Paul...

I've also found that the client crashes quite a lot :-(

Jon

Guest zippyioa
zippyioa - if it dropped to 0 it synced, and they should appear in your account. Not sure if it's instant, I thought it was?

P

Just checked again and its showed counts this time so it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Zippyioa

Yeah.

Fozza101, see you just earned your first reward :(

P

Hahaha Yes indeed, Quite chuffed I saw your revised email otherwise I would have missed this completely, and it's great fun!

I'm a sales rep who drives around London so for me this has been quite an eye opener!

Never realised how many AP there were out there, or indeed how many of them have no security enabled!

Just about to claim my third reward, which should be tomorrow and as I have a trip up to Nottingham and back I might even get two.

Have loaded it onto my old M3100 and am now collecting with that too.

It seems however that the WiFi spotter on the SPV M3100 is no where near as powerful as the Kaiser.

Even though they sit in their cradle next to each other the Kaiser picks up far more AP that the SPV.

(I did have the performance /battery setting wrong to begin with granted)

The SPV with performance over battery at maximum still only picks up about 1/3 the number of AP that

my Kaiser does.

(My SPV is running cooked ROM Black Satarn, aint bothered with the Radio Rom)

Paul you should have a second league within Modaco to see who is giving you the most referral points :D

Guest chucky.egg

I've been thinking about referring myself and getting another device going. I've got loads of GPS receivers.

My trouble is I travel the same areas all the time.

Got a trip to London and Corby coming up, but it'll be ages before I reach 10,000 points I think!

Might have to make up a reason to visit Durham again!

I've been thinking about referring myself and getting another device going. I've got loads of GPS receivers.

My trouble is I travel the same areas all the time.

Got a trip to London and Corby coming up, but it'll be ages before I reach 10,000 points I think!

Might have to make up a reason to visit Durham again!

Chucky, you'd be amazed at how quickly you can gather points. I'm onto my third reward now.

Also if you have another sim or payg then shove that in for your journey.

If you register a second account you can use this 2nd sim and get twice the points for the same route.

Also if you are driving the same routes all the time then mix it up a bit.

Do some of the Rat Races through residencial areas. Normally i would not condon such practices

but as you are most likely to be driving quite slowly to gather as many AP's as possible then

I think you will most probably be safer than all the other cars doing it.

Only try not to get done for curb crawling!

Guest toon andy

Could not resist - much to the annoyance of my wife! - jumped in car and went down the street - picked up 109 AP's and 2 cells. 238 points in 5 mins!

Will need to get a car charger for the Kaiser! :(

Guest mwright
I still like the idea of logging points for each other on regularly re-travelled routes :(

P

It might be quite nice to be able to donate points to a group - so if I keep traveling over the same route the points get donated equally to all the people in the (eg) Modaco group until they all have "seen" the same AP/tower

Does that make sense? Is that possible?

Guest Stuart_f
I've also found that the client crashes quite a lot :-(

Jon

Mine does that if I set it to store the captured data on the device for later upload. It seems significantly more reliable if I decrease the area that's defined as my home space in the account to be only the town I live in an none of the area around it. What does this setting do exactly?

I hope Paul finds a way to allow others to log APs and masts that we see everyday for others, I'm about to emigrate overseas so I can start bagging data from Limassol for you all!

Guest Paul (MVP)

Theoretically we could have a 'clan' like that if the Navizon API gets tweaked as I hope it does!

Then if clan members log using cameraware (even free version), we can hit a button to send the points to another member of the clan instead of us. More points you earn for others, more get earned for you etc. etc.

P

Theoretically we could have a 'clan' like that if the Navizon API gets tweaked as I hope it does!

Then if clan members log using cameraware (even free version), we can hit a button to send the points to another member of the clan instead of us. More points you earn for others, more get earned for you etc. etc.

P

Why would I want to give somebody else my points?

Unless they were for a route I had already mapped?

But then if I was feeling that altruistic could I not just login into

navizon using their details and vice versa?

Yeah! First reward - up to just over 11000 points in my first couple of days using it - Cheers Paul :-)

I drive around South West London a lot for work covering the same area a lot so it would be great to donate some points to other members of the group once I've mapped my regularly travelled areas.

One question though - could anyone explain to me how to use Navizon at the same time as Cameraware please?

I'm using WM5 smartphone, my Bluetooth GPS is set to use COM7 in the phone's settings and Navizon works fine using either "direct Bluetooth" or COM7 in the GPS settings. I've tried various settings in Cameraware but it doesn't see the GPS (it did before) - anyone got any ideas?

Oh, and also, I don't appear on the map for the Modaco group on Navizon, do you need to enable tracking or can you not see yourself?

Navizon username: Brianair

(I'm slowly getting the hang of it)...

Guest NuShrike

Anybody bothered that Navizon still has some multi-MB instance sitting around in ram even after you exited?

I do have power management turned off just in case it was that.

Guest zippyioa
Oh, and also, I don't appear on the map for the Modaco group on Navizon, do you need to enable tracking or can you not see yourself?

If you mean that you are not shown on the map of the UK that shows peoples last location, I had trouble finding that too...

You can enable it as follows Menu>Go To Map>Menu>Buddies>Send Location (if it is already ticked your location should already be sent to the Navizon site!)

I hope that helps.

Zippyioa

Yeah! First reward - up to just over 11000 points in my first couple of days using it - Cheers Paul :-)

I drive around South West London a lot for work covering the same area a lot so it would be great to donate some points to other members of the group once I've mapped my regularly travelled areas.

One question though - could anyone explain to me how to use Navizon at the same time as Cameraware please?

I'm using WM5 smartphone, my Bluetooth GPS is set to use COM7 in the phone's settings and Navizon works fine using either "direct Bluetooth" or COM7 in the GPS settings. I've tried various settings in Cameraware but it doesn't see the GPS (it did before) - anyone got any ideas?

Navizon username: Brianair

(I'm slowly getting the hang of it)...

How did you get it to install on WM5 I have tried with my C600 the cab installs fine but when you boot it up it say it needs microsoft developers certificate and tries to download using IE. Then I get an error message saying IE can't access the page, page does not exsist or can not be displayed in this browser.

:((

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.