Can't connect to 3 internet!! Help!!

Guest Shaftypants

Guest Shaftypants

Incidentally, would I have this problem if I had a 3 contract? My Orange PAYG is costing a fortune in data charges but if I can access the web while roaming on a 3 contract then that may well be the way forward. Would port 80 (whatever that is!?) be blocked on a contract sim?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcwarre

Interesting.....

I inserted my contract 3 sim into my MWg Atom and set up a new connection to the internet and it works fine for surfing and email. Having a bugger getting MMS to work though :)

Edited by mcwarre

Just tried to use '3internet' with my 3 PAYG SIM and it won't connect :)

P

I've seen something on xda-developers where people say you should make 3 believe you are using one of their phones by faking a registry key. It worked for me in all but the "real skype/iskoot" thing.

Just follow the link:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=366197

Hope this helps

I've seen something on xda-developers where people say you should make 3 believe you are using one of their phones by faking a registry key. It worked for me in all but the "real skype/iskoot" thing.

Just follow the link:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=366197

Hope this helps

And some more explanations here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...9907&page=2

Guest Paul (MVP)

Not sure that'll work in this instance, that just lets you access planet 3 services, rather than the 'it's dead altogether' problem i'm having on 2G...

P

Guest mutleyboy

strange issues you all have here :)

granted im not using a windows device, but my N95 was originally on t-mob and I have unlocked it and can browse the web using my 3 sim when in a 2G coverage area no problems at all, good job too seeing as my house gets no 3g coverage lol

as said, the only things which wont work are downloading of games etc as I dont have the 3 software certificates on the phone as I am using generic nokia firmware, but I can say for certain that 3 do not stop you using data when roaming on orange as it works fine for me

Guest mcwarre

Paul,

I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem and inserted a mates contract sim connected to the net then put in their prepay - might be worth a try.

The info on xda developers about N95 trick works a treat!!! :) Soo pleased.

Any advice on MMS???

Guest DeanPall

Hi Guys, having the same problem myself. Love the 3 network and the speed is great when I'm in a 3g signal area but no data when in a 2g area really sucks. I've ordered a brand new 3 sim card to test just in case my 18 month old PAYG card is configured to connect to the o2 network rather than the orange network. It's a long shot but I really want to stick with 3 as their PAYG data tariff is great value. I hope somehow we can sort this out between us! :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've submitted a contact form on the site asking how I file a complaint, sadly the result was just another damn call from the clueless Indian call centre!

ARGH!

P

Guest DeanPall

Unfortunately the new SIM card did not make a difference. However I have been playing around with my Hermes (SPV M3100) and discovered that if I force a connection with O2 then I can get a reliable GPRS or EDGE data connection! :( This is probably against 3's terms and conditions though! :D

I believe (at least in my area) once you loose the 3 network signal you are automatically switched over to the Orange network. If I force a connection to Orange I get no data connection at all. I've tried to change the order under preferred networks so that my phone switches to the O2 network first but when I click on OK I get a message saying cannot save the changes to the network.

I've also seen sellers on eBay selling PAYG SIM cards which they claim are specific broadband enabled and different to a regular SIM. Search for "3 THREE HSDPA 3G BROADBAND 3.5G DATA SIM CARD NEW PAYG" to see what I mean. Does anyone think that this type of SIM card may make a difference?

Guest FragMeister

it would be fab if someone who has this working ok for them could provide all the APN settings for Internet and MMS - either here or in the wiki, along with any contract/prepay specific settings

thanks;

Guest Matchstick

I've been having the same problems using a Three USB modem as well.

I've done a bit of digging and the problem seems to be that there's a misconfigured transparent proxy on the Orange network that's blocking web pages requested by roaming Three users.

Other internet traffic is unaffected so Ping and DNS lookups work as well as connections to Proxy/VPN servers (that don't use ports 80 or 443).

The big problem is that frontline Three support can't get their heads round this concept and keep insisting that you can't access web pages "because GPRS is too slow"

The fact that if I delay things even more by routing the traffic through a VPN server then web pages work fine (but slowly) goes completely over their heads.

If anyone knows of a way to get in touch with second level support at three, who should be able to understand what this means, can they post the details.

• 4 months later...