Poor Bluetooth audio quality (A2DP)

Guest TEKWRX

Guest TEKWRX

I'm getting really poor audio quality out of my Blackjack II. This is when using a Sony BT25NX stereo bluetooth headset (also tried a Sony Ericsson DS970, no good either). The headset sounds awesome when paired to my Sony Ericsson K850i, but on the BJ2 it sounds like garbage. The highs all sound shrilly or "muddy", kind of like a really badly compressed mp3 would. It's not the source file, beacuse the same file played with the K850i sounds fine. I've done a search and tried the various tweaks to the registry for A2DP settings, but nothing makes a difference. Anybody have any ideas?

Guest JDMinPDX
I'm getting really poor audio quality out of my Blackjack II. This is when using a Sony BT25NX stereo bluetooth headset (also tried a Sony Ericsson DS970, no good either). The headset sounds awesome when paired to my Sony Ericsson K850i, but on the BJ2 it sounds like garbage. The highs all sound shrilly or "muddy", kind of like a really badly compressed mp3 would. It's not the source file, beacuse the same file played with the K850i sounds fine. I've done a search and tried the various tweaks to the registry for A2DP settings, but nothing makes a difference. Anybody have any ideas?

As posted in another thread, I am using a Motorola S9 stereo BT headset and it works just fine. I am not experiencing what you are... Wish I could be of more assistance.

• 1 month later...
Guest markm18

I just purchased a Blackjack II and am also having poor quality through my Jawbone bluetooth headset. I am very disappointed. Did you find any way to improve this?

Guest su6oxone
I'm getting really poor audio quality out of my Blackjack II. This is when using a Sony BT25NX stereo bluetooth headset (also tried a Sony Ericsson DS970, no good either). The headset sounds awesome when paired to my Sony Ericsson K850i, but on the BJ2 it sounds like garbage.

I'm curious how you would compare the audio quality of music over BT A2DP to your BT headset is compared to a wired headset. Is it nearly identical or just 'pretty good considering it's wireless?'

Guest eman006
I'm curious how you would compare the audio quality of music over BT A2DP to your BT headset is compared to a wired headset. Is it nearly identical or just 'pretty good considering it's wireless?'

I'm using the Jabra BT 8010 Stereo headphones and have had no problems with it. Sound is just as good as wired. However, if you have a lot of programs open and / or are trying to use applications while listening to music, then you may notice the music get a little faster or slower at times, but overall, great sound.

I would recommend that if you're trying to watch movies on your phone (even with overclocked processor to 276), use a wired headset since it seems the BT headset does cause the video to become choppy and unwatchable. Not sure if anyone has seen the same thing and has a fix, but the wired headset seems to be my only solution to this issue....for now.

Not sure why some are having problems with the other headphones, but I'd recommend to delete the profile on the phone and start the pairing process from the beginning. In addition, once paired, ensure that you have the profile checked on Stereo Headset.

Here's how:

Goto Settings=>More=>Connections=>Bluetooth=>Bluetooth; pick your headset profile =>Next=>check Stereo Headset and HandsFree boxes=>Done

Hopefully, this will work for your headset.

• 4 months later...
Guest twojastara

I really would like to know how did u find the Settings folder because on my BJ II there was no such folder. I did create one and created SampleRate DWORD, and UseJointStereo DOWRD but that did not fix anything and my CARDO S2 still does no sound like its suppose to.

Guest john redcorn

I'm having the same problem, audio sounds like a 80kbit mp3 mainly it's the cymbals that are really washed out. I don't have bluetooth headphones but my car stereo does bluetooth stereo audio. I know it's not the mp3s themselves or the WMP because I have a headphone adapter and if I plug it in to my phone and the line in on the car stereo it sounds perfect.

I asked on a different forum and they said there are a few different protocols for stereo audio over bluetooth and both devices phone and headphones/car stereo need to have in common ONE of the good protocols for it to sound good. If they don't have a good prot in common they use a default crappy one that everything has.

Kinda makes me wonder what is lacking something good, the BJII or my stereo/your headphones?

(i've always thought it was my stereo that was crappy, it was $130 and a Sony. I'm generally anti-sony but couldn't resist the price. It does do good for handsfree speakerphone though.)

Edited by john redcorn

Guest gtg465x
I just purchased a Blackjack II and am also having poor quality through my Jawbone bluetooth headset. I am very disappointed. Did you find any way to improve this?

Are you talking about music quality? The Jawbone isn't designed for music. It's designed for voice.

• 2 months later...
Guest skeptic
I'm having the same problem, audio sounds like a 80kbit mp3 mainly it's the cymbals that are really washed out. I don't have bluetooth headphones but my car stereo does bluetooth stereo audio. I know it's not the mp3s themselves or the WMP because I have a headphone adapter and if I plug it in to my phone and the line in on the car stereo it sounds perfect.

I asked on a different forum and they said there are a few different protocols for stereo audio over bluetooth and both devices phone and headphones/car stereo need to have in common ONE of the good protocols for it to sound good. If they don't have a good prot in common they use a default crappy one that everything has.

Kinda makes me wonder what is lacking something good, the BJII or my stereo/your headphones?

(i've always thought it was my stereo that was crappy, it was $130 and a Sony. I'm generally anti-sony but couldn't resist the price. It does do good for handsfree speakerphone though.)

ever find a solution to your BT audio problem? same exact issue here with a BJ2 i just got. i upgraded to WM6.1 and no change. audio out sounds fine except when streaming.

Guest john redcorn
ever find a solution to your BT audio problem? same exact issue here with a BJ2 i just got. i upgraded to WM6.1 and no change. audio out sounds fine except when streaming.

No I never did get it to sound good. I saw this thread on the front page again and got excited thinking maybe someone figured it out. but nope, still crappy sounding audio when I connect w/ bt stereo to my car stereo. I upgraded to wm61 too and tried again after that, same thing.

I haven't actively been trying to find a fix though, I've tried gsplayer and conduits pocket player and neither are really "easy" enough for me to use as an mp3 player in the car so I'm sticking to my little creative labs flash player.

If a song's ever in my head that I just have to hear it, I stream it from my mp3s at the house with orb.com to my phone to the stereo with bluetooth. bad sound doesn't bother me if it's just every once in a while and a song that I desperately need to hear that probably has 2nd generation mpeg artifacts from orb anyway (orb reencodes all stuff)

Edited by john redcorn

Guest skeptic
No I never did get it to sound good. I saw this thread on the front page again and got excited thinking maybe someone figured it out. but nope, still crappy sounding audio when I connect w/ bt stereo to my car stereo. I upgraded to wm61 too and tried again after that, same thing.

I haven't actively been trying to find a fix though, I've tried gsplayer and conduits pocket player and neither are really "easy" enough for me to use as an mp3 player in the car so I'm sticking to my little creative labs flash player.

If a song's ever in my head that I just have to hear it, I stream it from my mp3s at the house with orb.com to my phone to the stereo with bluetooth. bad sound doesn't bother me if it's just every once in a while and a song that I desperately need to hear that probably has 2nd generation mpeg artifacts from orb anyway (orb reencodes all stuff)

thanks for getting back to me. i'm experimenting with some A2DP registry hacks i found on another forum. if i have any luck i'll post again.