Broken screen - do I need a digitiser, lcd or both?

Guest funkychicken9000

Guest funkychicken9000

Gutted to find my Vario III screen was smashed when I took it out of my pocket yesterday. The screen goes almost totally white when turned on, with black splodges in the top half around some lines that look like cracks.

I did a quick search, and there were lots of people talking about digitisers - I was wondering if mine is likely to be busted along with the LCD itself. Any idea?

And as for the best way to fix it, there are things like this on ebay - anyone know if this includes the digitiser or not? Also some people talked about carphone warehouse replacing them for £40ish, has anybody had any experience of this with a touchscreen phone?

All the best

f

Having had my screen broken too I am going to Carphone warehouse this very afternoon, as soon as I finish work, to see exactly what they can do, I'll report back later.

Regarding the screen itself it is in two parts, The actual LCD, and the digitiser which sits on top and detects any touches

It sounds from your description that your LCD is broken, can you tell if it still responds to touch or not? this will tell you if you also need a digitiser.

If you do fancy a DIY repair I managed to find one here: http://cnn.cn/shop/index.php for a reasonable 80 Dollars (LCD including Digitiser) but it seems they are out of stock at the mo, it might be worth contacting them to see if they're expecting any more in.

It's also worth pointing out to check your house insurance, if you have any.

Edited by mandt