Touch Call issue

Guest whos-rog

Guest whos-rog

Recently i have found that my touch at times does not ring at all, it often goes straigt to voicemail. Even when i'm in a high signal strength area.

I have tried my sim in another phone for 2 days to see if it was related to that/operator issues and it was fine. Then back into the touch and i have the same issues at times.

it happens more often when i haven't used the touch for a while. But it has only just started doing this. Anyone else having this issue?

Only does it sometimes, not consistently?

You could try this suggestion for changing the amount of time it rings for:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=869653

I find mine rings at the callers end up to 3 times before it rings on my device, but I do have some complicated diverts setup

Do you have your device set up to auto retrieve email or for push email? Or. do you have any apps (ie. like weather) to automatically update? I ask this because if you on an EDGE network and the device is transmitting or receiving data, you will not be able to receive any phone calls during that data session. On 3g UMTS/HSDPA phones, you don't have this issue because the protocol allows for the simultaneous data and voice sessions.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest whos-rog
Do you have your device set up to auto retrieve email or for push email? Or. do you have any apps (ie. like weather) to automatically update? I ask this because if you on an EDGE network and the device is transmitting or receiving data, you will not be able to receive any phone calls during that data session. On 3g UMTS/HSDPA phones, you don't have this issue because the protocol allows for the simultaneous data and voice sessions.

I do have my device setup to check my email so that could be it, however i use gprs rather than edge. Hmm that could be the reason. I never had this issue when i was on a blackberry (again it was a gprs/edge phone not the 3g version)

Hmm. This is gpoing to cause me a few problems i think. Not good. I just have to cange the auto retireve settings i suppose so that it only checks every 30mins rather than 10.

Guest chucky.egg

Unless you get a lot of calls the chances of an incoming call being blocked by 10 minute polling is quite low I would say.

The theory is good, but perhaps there's more going on over GPRS than just email?

Any activity over GPRS will block the call, so perhaps you have an IM client running, or frequent web page refreshes, or something like that...?

I'm assuming your don't have Flight Mode on, and that the device doesn't actually "ring" (even if it does it silently)

Before you go too mad check the Sounds and Notifications under Settings - in there you can tell it what to do when a call comes in, vibrate, show a message, ring etc (sorry - you may already know that!)

Guest whos-rog

I changed the settings and it now checks every 30 mins. I was checking every 5 mins and my mail server that i was syncing with has been running slow. No more problems. yay!

• 2 months later...
Guest simon211175

I'm going to disagree. I have the same issue with my Touch, and don't have any automatic GPRS connectivity. If however, I'm connected to the internet / IM software etc and someone tries to call, the call takes precedence. This has been the case on all phones I've owned in the last few years

Guest Neil5459
I'm going to disagree. I have the same issue with my Touch, and don't have any automatic GPRS connectivity. If however, I'm connected to the internet / IM software etc and someone tries to call, the call takes precedence. This has been the case on all phones I've owned in the last few years

Being connected in itself doesn't cause problems, but if any data is being exchanged when the incoming call is received, it will be rejected. The current model of use precludes concurrent GPRS/Voice traffic as the operators don't employ a system to hold an incoming call for the short time needed to put a hold on the data session.

Guest simon211175

makes sense - I guess as far as my mobile surfing goes, I've been lucky not to have a call at the same time as actual data transfer.