HTCmail FINALLY available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Does Sherweb allow me to access my normal POP3 mailbox and push it to my mobile?

Yeah,Id like to know this too.

Also for the push to work do i need my pc on at home all the time with activesync running? :)

In the standard Hosted Exchange option you don't get to "grab" mail from another pop mailbox, but this can beadded for a price I think.

It may seem alike a waste of money, but most of my mail goes to gMail which I forward a copy to an account on Sherweb. Setting up imap connection to gMail might seem more sense, but I've found imap to be slow and battery draining for my liking.

The regular "Hosted Exchange" is just that, Sherweb (aka iHostExchange) have and maintain the Exchange (2007 :D )servers, you don't need to leave your pc on at all. You ActiveSync/Direct Push to your device.

The service, I've found, is very very reliable, and the support is really good. Also no long term contracts.

HTH.

Well I signed up for it on my Advantage yesterday and these are my inital thoughts:

Bad:

1) The email address is at best ugly! mailbyhtc? Whoever thought of that clearly needs to stand in the corner and think about what they've done.

2) You don't seem to be able to use your own domain - I've emailed them about this. You can set a 'reply-to' but mails sent from this still say [email protected] on the from line.

3) Seems slow to me from my BT adsl connection. If it's sluggish now with few users...

4) Not the cheapest - they need to get features to ensure that customers stay

5) Can't seem to share calendars with friends / colleagues. Isn't this why we have sync?

Good:

1) Plenty of storage.

2) Easy setup - was quite impressed at the whole process.

3) It does what it says on the can.

Not too sure that I'm going to stay with the service - sherweb and sms (simplemailsolutions) both have cheaper, better offerings.

In conclusion: Good first try HTC - now go away and make it right!

I'm going to compare and contrast the three services today so I'll let people know what I find.

Matthew

Just got a reply to my question about domains:

Dear Sir,

??????? Thank you for your email to HTC Europe. Unfortunately there is nothing we

can do about the from address however if your recipients click reply the mail will

return to your address. I have passed on your comments. There may be a change in the

future.

Oh dear, not going to sell many of these accounts then.

Off to SMS or Sherweb it is then.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Shadowfixeruk

I have mailbyhtc running on a Vario III - no worries...

well until now... On Monday my mailbyhtc account stopped accessing my pop mail account... just wondering if anyone else was having the same problems - i probably signed up about a month ago - but my account says a 3 month trial....

I like pushmail - but dont like the mailbyhtc address - so will be *justifying* a sherweb account soon ;-)

james

• 1 month later...
Guest kaporion
I have mailbyhtc running on a Vario III - no worries...

well until now... On Monday my mailbyhtc account stopped accessing my pop mail account... just wondering if anyone else was having the same problems - i probably signed up about a month ago - but my account says a 3 month trial....

I like pushmail - but dont like the mailbyhtc address - so will be *justifying* a sherweb account soon ;-)

james

Well my friend, i have the same issue and i'm from Italy. This is my story:

I set up two different accounts, both of them IMAP. I never switched off my HTC Touch Dual during the first week. When it was friday i switched it off for the weekend since it is a business number.

Surprise... when i switched on again on monday the HTC Mail Service stopped working. I cancelled the accounts and set them up again, i re-configured outlook exchange server details but nothing changed. The contacts are still syncronized but email messages are not pushed anymore.

I made one more test:

1. If you set up a new account to be "collected" and "pushed" it works!!!

2. If you send a email message directly to [email protected] it works!!!

I'm sorry, my dear HTC this is not a good service to pay...

I called customer care 2 times and they told me the problem would have been solved in 48 hours: 96 hours have passed and your push mail still frized

I sent 4 emails to customer care: they didn't answer at all

Better look at other providers... :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.