WiFi Data Transmission Rates

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Hi all,

I've just been fiddling with my wireless network at home and noticed something strange on the MDA Vario III.

If you click Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Wireless LAN

Then my TX rate is 54Mbps, yet my RX rate is only 1Mbps ... this never changes. The power settings are set for best performance.

Anyone know if this is a legitimate bottleneck with the WiFi card within the Vario III, a software limitation ... or something strange I've done with my WLAN ??

Guest jimbouk

Mine says 54Mbps on both Tx and Rx when first connected.

it then dropped to 1Mbps on RX as I walked around, then I opened PIE and browsed to a site and it returned to 54.

Now it seems to be happy at 54.

Guest Samsonite

in my experience, the actual datarate over WiFi can vary wildly. in a 802.11G operation, i would say that if you average more than 20 Mbit in any given sesson then thats not bad. I have yet to see any real speed increase when using an 11b device (like my PSP) or a g device.

Also, most people are using t'internet over the WiFi router and THAT certainly isnt anywhere near LAN speeds yet so any bottleneck in terms if WiFi traffic is meaningless (unless you do have a whopding DSL link running at 20Mbit+!!)

Guest Webreaper

Is it not the case that whilst the TyTN supports 802.11g which can support 54mbps, it doesn't send/receive at that speed - it's actually using 802.11b, which is more like 11Mbps (so about 1.3MB/s)?

Edited by Webreaper