TomTom Nav6 on SD card - can it be copied to micro SD?

Guest petec500

Guest petec500

Morning all,

I need to buy TomTom Navigator 6 software for my HTC Touch. Although some places sell the software on CD for installing onto your own storage card, these packages tend to me more expensive and relatively rare.

The package with the software pre-installed on an SD card are freely available and cheaper, but can i just copy all files from the supplied SD card onto my own 8GB microSD??

Many thanks

Guest Neil5459
Morning all,

I need to buy TomTom Navigator 6 software for my HTC Touch. Although some places sell the software on CD for installing onto your own storage card, these packages tend to me more expensive and relatively rare.

The package with the software pre-installed on an SD card are freely available and cheaper, but can i just copy all files from the supplied SD card onto my own 8GB microSD??

Many thanks

Yes you can do this- TomTom doesn't lock any files to the card, as the registration of the maps is linked to the Device ID. Just make sure the folder structure stays the same.

If you already have a copy of the TTN application, then the cheapest way to upgrade is via the TomTom website. You can download the maps to the PC and install them via TomTom Home. UK map currently £29.99 until end of January.

Guest Neil5459
Shame - CoPilot 7 is better.... :D

It's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day! Both are good programs, and both do what they set out to do. I've currently got CPL7, TTN6 and iGO2006, and each has its strengths, but my order of preference is iGO, TTN then CPL :)

Guest Confucious

Interesting! Paul used to rate the same order as you with CP6 but now rates CP7 best. I thought TT6 had a much better UI than CP6 but now think CP7 is much better and together with the better address book integration and other features would definatly rate CP7 over TT6. I have never seen iGo so can't coment on that.

Like you say, it is a matter of opinion and different features mean more to some than others, why do you prefer iGpo and TT to CP?

Guest WearTheFoxHat

May I suggest a head to head review is performed then?!?!

Ideally by someone who has three devices, three lots of software ... and does a fair amount of driving!

Come on Paul ... rack up those miles and earn some Navizon points too ;-)

Guest Neil5459
Interesting! Paul used to rate the same order as you with CP6 but now rates CP7 best. I thought TT6 had a much better UI than CP6 but now think CP7 is much better and together with the better address book integration and other features would definatly rate CP7 over TT6. I have never seen iGo so can't coment on that.

Like you say, it is a matter of opinion and different features mean more to some than others, why do you prefer iGpo and TT to CP?

I'm currently testing a new device that has CPL7 included- not sure if it's been 'customised' or not, so may not be representative of the full retail version :)

My preference for iGO is for its fantastic user interface, and the level of customisation possible. Downsides are some issues of installation if you have more than 100 contacts, and no MicroSD option (the marketing for UK is a fiasco, and is driving DSL, the retailer mad. The importer won't import a MicroSD version till existing stocks are used, but of course with most new devices being MicroSD, their market is fast diminishing)

TTN6 and CPL6 are neck and neck as regards interface, but the problem for me with CPL7 is its poor routing algorithm. Even with profile tweaking, I can't get it to use what I know is the fastest route, on a few of my well known journeys; both TTN and iGO do use the fastest route without any tweaking. My suspicion is that CPL doesn't adjust for major roads that pass through towns (therefore reducing the net speed of the road) so will take me on a main road through a town, rather than a smaller road avoiding the town. On my home journey (Sawbridgeworth, Herts to Radwinter, Essex) which is 21 miles and 30 minutes, CPL wants to take me through Bishops Stortford (rather than the bypass) and Saffron Walden (rather than smaller side roads) adding 3 miles and 10 minutes to the journey.

I may be unlucky, but a colleague on 4WM and Modaco (Bydandie) hs also seen the same issue in another part of the country.

@wearthefoxhat (good name BTW- I remember that old joke!): Waveydavey, a reviewer on 4WinMobile is doing just that. We are doing a 6 part SatNav shootout over a few months, and at the end will have a short overall comparison in addition to the in depth articles. We have already publsihed CPL7, Pharos and Route66 with iGO2006 (which I'm currently finalising) TTN6 and Garmin Mobile 10 to come.