Maintaining a HSDPA connection

Guest Subliminal Aura

Guest Subliminal Aura

It became obvious to me this morning that somehow the HSDPA connection is not persistent.

I have noticed a lag when browsing web pages via opera mini.

However this morning I noticed that whilst streaming music via pocket player and shoutcast this forced the connection to remain open. I was suprised to note that browsing whilst listening to net radio became very fast without the noticable lag that I have seen before.

So keeping the HSDPA connection live is the question. Or can this be done via kaiser tweak ?

SA

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest Subliminal Aura
Going to try something stupid but it may work....

ping running in the background :D

You never know .... it might just work

WHHHOOOO Hooooo !

It works !

I'm on my kaiser posting via PIE(hence the delay).

I've set up vxutils to ping news.bbc.co.uk 30000 times.

My taskbar shows a solid H HSDPA connection :)))))

browsing is now very smooth almost as good as being on wifi :D

I'm chuffed....

Thanks for giving me the idea

SA

Thanks for giving me the idea

Are you talking to yourself there? :)

That's an interesting solution, I........ haven't quite decided whether I like it or not :D But i guess there is no other way to stop t-mobile from closing the connection. So the next question is, how pissy are t-mobile going to be about people doing this? It's those option connections that they don't like, since they can only have a limited number in each place. I wonder what constant pinging does to battery life too?

Guest Subliminal Aura

Well I've turned the packet size down on the pings.

Not sure how bad it is on battery life but this morning's run into work streaming shoutcast for nearly an hour cost my battery maybe 40% ? plus the fact the kaiser gets very hot :D

ps t-mobile don't worry me - I have an old orange unlimited tarrif :)

I've done 100meg today alone :D

Ah sorry, I don't know why I assumed it was T-mobile. Haha. It's not alone for the network though, the way it works is different isn't it.. It's all about open connections. So, keep the connection open the whole time might make them angry (not just talking about the bandwidth here). Although don't know if they'd actually check... I wish there was some nicer way to keep the HSPDA open :)

Guest Subliminal Aura

I've started my journey in to work and am streaming some choooooons....

We'll se how much battery it uses up.

Currently listening to :

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:0,marc johnson - radio chatroom now live http://www.twelveinch.co.uk - Marc Johnson INSEKT Giveaway Mix (master) (T W E L V E I N C H RADIO - 24/7 HARD NRG HARD TRANCE HARD HOUSE - live in the mix uk - live studio video/audio feed @ http://87.106.33.129:80;stream.nsv)

http://87.106.33.126:80

pants I can't attach the screen grab

Guest Subliminal Aura

Here goes

Start of the journey...

display_2.bmp

End of my journey and 53meg later :)

display_3.bmp

Note that I used up near 40% of my battery :D

Noticed a nice bug this morning whilst in opera-mini hitting the end call button in order to get to the today screen pocket player whilst streaming crashes :D grrrrr

So another issue I have to live with... I will have to test if it is opera-mini specific or a global issue whilst pocket player is streaming.

SA

Guest jimbouk

So you will hit the Fair Usage Policy limit quite quickly then.. and also potentially add weight to the wrong side of Orange's decision process about offering unlimited packages to other clients in the future...

You will probably also be shortening the life of your device.

My H takes about 0.5 seconds to fire up when I commence browsing and when streaming it stays on - thats all I need.

Guest Subliminal Aura
So you will hit the Fair Usage Policy limit quite quickly then.. and also potentially add weight to the wrong side of Orange's decision process about offering unlimited packages to other clients in the future...

I'll keep it under a gig as per my contract :)

ps If I remember correctly it was definately unlimited without a 1gig limit but Orange may reserve a FUP.

I've been paying for it for years without using it so I should get now what I paid for.

SA

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest jimbouk
Um, isn't there just some registry tweak that keeps the hsdpa connection on at all times? I seem to remember something like that.

No.

You can tell your device to stay connected to 3g and you can tell your device to use H, but the actual use of H is governed by the cell you connect to recognising that you wish to transfer data using H and then it throttles up the connection - only to cease H when you stop using it - and it stops after a second or so of non-use.

What SA is doing is keeping his connection live continuously so that the cell doesnt think the usage is dormant and de-throttle.

I remain concerned that if we all did that, O would start to enforce policies to stop constant data usage and other uses may suffer.

Guest Subliminal Aura
What SA is doing is keeping his connection live continuously so that the cell doesnt think the usage is dormant and de-throttle.

I remain concerned that if we all did that, O would start to enforce policies to stop constant data usage and other uses may suffer.

Throwing your rattle out of your pram yet again ? Naughty boy, Once is enough but twice in a single thread ? :)

My net usage is modest by my standards. These mobile companies have sold us the idea of streaming video and music over 3g and higher connections so they should be well aware of bandwidth requirements incured by such usage and hence honour their sales.

3 to 4 years down the line 1gig of data usage over mobile phones should become the norm and if its not then the mobile companies in this country will have to explain why they would rather like to skim people over data charges and fall behind the rest of the world.