Blackjack 2 + GPS

Guest Hylando

Guest Hylando

this is just a simple question dealing with the GPS in the Blackjack 2. Is it possible to use the GPS feature if i do not have a internet/data plan with my service provider(AT&T) if so how would i go about doing this, (including unlocking the GPS chip other things)

ps. im pretty new to cellphone modding

Guest thelostsoul

All you would need is software that doesn't require a network connection. Garmin Mobile XT is what I would recommend.

You don't need to do anything else.

Guest thelostsoul

None that I know of offering turn by turn, but it's apparently possible to get Google Maps preloaded onto your device...but that's not turn by turn navigation and I don't know how to do it...

Yea i dont have data either so i just use a program called gpsVP (http://gpsvp.garminmapsearch.com/) you can just download the program for free and then use thier program to download the areas you want (so you dont have to load a map of the whole US). If you have any questions feel free to ask me!

Hello, i was wondering if you could help us out with GPS VP.. I have downloaded GPSVP and as well as the Garmin Americas Map (linke on the site above). However, I dont see how to use this device. How do i put in an address or search for a point of intrest? what do i need to get. i have yet to be able to connect to a GPS (I DONT HAVE A DATA PLAN).. I switched the gps/settings/ to com 4 (is this correct?)..

Thanks

bill

Guest Sk8er4life3737
Hello, i was wondering if you could help us out with GPS VP.. I have downloaded GPSVP and as well as the Garmin Americas Map (linke on the site above). However, I dont see how to use this device. How do i put in an address or search for a point of intrest? what do i need to get. i have yet to be able to connect to a GPS (I DONT HAVE A DATA PLAN).. I switched the gps/settings/ to com 4 (is this correct?)..

Thanks

bill

GPSVP is not able to direct you to addresses, if you want that you would need to get google maps, windows live, etc. Unfortunatly those use a large amount of data. For now GPSVP is your best bet. Yes COM4 is correct.

tried gpsvp.. quickly got frustrated. got garmin mobile xt. its awesome. worth the "buy".... btw.. when u install it.. it asks if you want to allow garmin to accesss an internet (data plan) connection.. say no :)

Edited by WAYII

Guest magoh9494

Hello! I'm considering buying a Blackjack II, primarily for the built-in GPS radio. I plan to also buy and use Garmin XT.

Two questions

(1) Is it easy to receive/make calls while using the Garmin XT application? Any feedback on your experience with this point would be greatly appreciated

(2) Is it possible to transfer all the Garmin software from the Garmin-provided micro-SD, onto a larger capacity SD card, so I don't have to keep changing cards back and forth, when I want to listen to music etc?

Many thanks for your help!

Guest shutter13
Hello! I'm considering buying a Blackjack II, primarily for the built-in GPS radio. I plan to also buy and use Garmin XT.

Two questions

(1) Is it easy to receive/make calls while using the Garmin XT application? Any feedback on your experience with this point would be greatly appreciated

(2) Is it possible to transfer all the Garmin software from the Garmin-provided micro-SD, onto a larger capacity SD card, so I don't have to keep changing cards back and forth, when I want to listen to music etc?

Many thanks for your help!

1) not sure, I've not received a call while using it, how sad is that, lol. I don't think it's an issue, after you end the call you would just need to re-open the program.

2) Yes, it is possible, my garmin application and maps are all on my 8GB sd card, there are instructions on how to do it here somewhere.

One thing to keep in mind...the gps burns up the battery pretty quickly, so it is recommended to have (and use it) with a car charger.

Guest magoh9494
1) not sure, I've not received a call while using it, how sad is that, lol. I don't think it's an issue, after you end the call you would just need to re-open the program.

2) Yes, it is possible, my garmin application and maps are all on my 8GB sd card, there are instructions on how to do it here somewhere.

One thing to keep in mind...the gps burns up the battery pretty quickly, so it is recommended to have (and use it) with a car charger.

Thanks Shutter13! Are you saying that I couldn't have Garmin running in the 'background' while I place/receive a call, so that when the call is done, I see the Garmin screen?

Also, I would appreciate if you could post the link to the instructions re: moving the Garmin software onto another micro-SD card. And thanks for the tip on conserving battery life!

Guest thelostsoul

It is possible to receive phonecalls while using garmin. I have done so. The only problem, if you consider it a problem that is, is that the other party will hear the directions when Garmin starts talking to you. If you enable the turn preview option, and you run Garmin in the background, when you approach a turn, the turn preview will come to the front and show you where to turn. You can then press "OK" and it'll take you back to your last running program.

About putting it on another card, it requires running a key generator to make a new unlock code for the new card. Key generators are considered piracy as they are means to circumvent copy protection, and I will not link directly to them, but that is the only way to go about putting it on another card. Unless you want to try contacting Garmin? Not sure how willing they'd be for that...

Guest magoh9494

Thanks for both answers! One more question: do you know if AT&T requires you to carry a data plan, in order to get the BJII? If they don't, can I access the 'data network' on an as-needed basis? I'm able to do that today with the Audiovox SMT5600, meaning, that I don't have a data plan, but can get out as needed, and pay a per-unit-of-data fee.

Guest shutter13
Are you saying that I couldn't have Garmin running in the 'background' while I place/receive a call, so that when the call is done, I see the Garmin screen?

Actually, I did mean that it would run in the background while you took the call. but when you end the call...typically your going to be taken back to your homescreen, not the last running program (at least that has been my experience), you would need to open the task manager and open the program back up (or click the icon in your MRU plugin, if your homescreen has one) and that would bring the program back tothe front.

Thanks for both answers! One more question: do you know if AT&T requires you to carry a data plan, in order to get the BJII? If they don't, can I access the 'data network' on an as-needed basis? I'm able to do that today with the Audiovox SMT5600, meaning, that I don't have a data plan, but can get out as needed, and pay a per-unit-of-data fee.

No, it is not required to have one if you have the Blackjack, but sometimes it is required to get the rebate. Course after you get the rebate you can drop the data plan. And yes, you can get one at the exhorbatant rate they charge for pay per use, IMO, if you use it at all...your better off with the plan.

Yea i dont have data either so i just use a program called gpsVP (http://gpsvp.garminmapsearch.com/) you can just download the program for free and then use thier program to download the areas you want (so you dont have to load a map of the whole US). If you have any questions feel free to ask me!

So i installed the program and put the gps settings to port com4 and port speed to 19200 with track 1... now i have 2 questions

1. how do i install a map of California? what are the steps in doing so?

2. Should i use the gpstester first to see if im connected? and if so when should it connect? will i see the speed, conection, gps time, all that good stuff?

thanks! i appreciate all the help and tips

• 2 weeks later...
this is just a simple question dealing with the GPS in the Blackjack 2. Is it possible to use the GPS feature if i do not have a internet/data plan with my service provider(AT&T) if so how would i go about doing this, (including unlocking the GPS chip other things)

ps. im pretty new to cellphone modding

Use Google Maps or Windows Live Search. They use the GPS receiver built into the BJII without having to buy software or "GPS service".

You do need a data plan unless you want to pay as you use data (way expensive!).

Edited by iradi8

Guest Silent76

Ok, let me see if I m understanding correctly. If I were to go and get the Garmin XT, I could use GPS in my BJII and not need a data plan at all? Is this correct thinking? Also, I saw someone say they had the garmin xt moved to a 8 gig mem card. I thought BJII could only go to 4 gig? Can someone clarify on that as well?

Thanks,

Silent76

Guest thnkwhatyouthnk
Ok, let me see if I m understanding correctly. If I were to go and get the Garmin XT, I could use GPS in my BJII and not need a data plan at all? Is this correct thinking? Also, I saw someone say they had the garmin xt moved to a 8 gig mem card. I thought BJII could only go to 4 gig? Can someone clarify on that as well?

Thanks,

Silent76

As long as you make sure to turn off Garmin's traffic and weather services, then you will not need a data plan to use it. As far as the 8gb card, I've heard of people using it but I only have a 4gb card myself.

Guest Silent76

Ok, I have another question. Can you turn on and off the traffic and weather services whenever you want, or is it a one time answer?

Thanks,

Silent76

Edited by Silent76

Guest thnkwhatyouthnk
Ok, I have another question. Can you turn on and off the traffic and weather services whenever you want, or is it a one time answer?

Thanks,

Silent76

You can do it whenever you want. There is an option in settings which gives you 3 choices: Always, Prompted, and Disabled.

Guest Silent76

One more question, do you still get turn by turn voice directions with the garmin xt, without traffic and weather updates without data plan. I just want to make sure everything is good to go before I purchase it.

Thanks, Silent

Guest thnkwhatyouthnk
One more question, do you still get turn by turn voice directions with the garmin xt, without traffic and weather updates without data plan. I just want to make sure everything is good to go before I purchase it.

Thanks, Silent

Yes you do. Garmin's guidance information (maps, voice, etc.) is all contained on the microSD card that comes along with the software. However, you must make sure you buy the correct software. There is a version that works with external GPS and one that works with internal GPS. I'm kinda busy right now, but if you go to Garmin's website it will direct you to the correct version.

Guest sunshinevah

AT&T does not require you to have a data plan in order to purchase the BJII. I've had mine for a couple of months and have not yet used it for a phone. I downloaded a golf program for GPS on the golf course, the GPS works great connects to the satellites quickly & I love it. As for the data plan from AT&T, it may be best to go with unlimited, it's amazing how fast a pay-per-unit can add up