3G problems with Blackjack II

Guest towgapy

Guest towgapy

please someone provide some insight on my situation. I have called at&t, who has directed me to samsung. called samsung, who directed me to at&t. viscious cycle.

have a blackjack II that is unlocked. it is at&t branded, unlocked to use on tmobile at one time. i am now using it on at&t, and have been unable to get the phone to pickup 3G signal. it reads either E (EDGE) or G (gprs?'). i have hard and soft reset, both providing no fix. checked internet and connection settings, all correct according to at&t. when i pop my SIM in my 8525, i get 3G. i would greatly appreciate any help given.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest towgapy

no one have any advice or assistance? did i post in wrong area?

please someone provide some insight on my situation. I have called at&t, who has directed me to samsung. called samsung, who directed me to at&t. viscious cycle.

have a blackjack II that is unlocked. it is at&t branded, unlocked to use on tmobile at one time. i am now using it on at&t, and have been unable to get the phone to pickup 3G signal. it reads either E (EDGE) or G (gprs?'). i have hard and soft reset, both providing no fix. checked internet and connection settings, all correct according to at&t. when i pop my SIM in my 8525, i get 3G. i would greatly appreciate any help given.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mistertip

I'm having the same issue on my 1month old Blackjack II i was told i live in a "3G" area but all I ever see is "E" or "G" I even traveled to Atlanta where "3G" is the norm in that area and behlold I still see just "G" :)

Going to AT&T today to see what is up.

• 3 months later...
Guest hh22191

Try to make sure your SIM card is up to date. If you just popped in your old one it might be 2G not 3G.

Have you tried the *#1546792*# sequence to see if it looks for 3G?

Guest zacuriah

Since the phone has been unlock do you know if the "turn off 3G" edit has been done to it to save battery power? If so undo this edit.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FlyingJ

I recently bought an unlocked Samsung i780 (similar to Blackjack II) in Singapore. I have an account with T-mobile USA. I popped in my SIM and it worked fine in Singapore, on the SingTel 3G network. When I spent a couple of days in Japan (3G), it worked there as well, on the Softbank 3G network. When I returned back to New York City it worked fine, but all I ever see is E (Edge) or G (GPRS). According to T-Mobile, the 3G is available in New York City now, but so far I haven't seen the 3G icon appear as it did in Singapore and Japan. But the point is, I did not have to do anything special to get my phone to access the 3G band; it was automatic. You may have to wait until your local area actually has 3G signal. T-Mobile should be able to tell you if the area you are in has 3G signal.

Guest scaleyphish

AT&T's 3G coverage is extremely inaccurate. When I got my BJII, I was living in Memphis, TN and rarely got 3G coverage when I used it even though the Memphis area was supposed to have plenty of coverage. I then moved to Knoxville, TN and the same problem happened. A few months back, I all of a sudden began to pick up 3G in Knoxville and now I am back in Memphis and I got 3G all the time as well.

• 6 months later...
Guest Lab Rat

I've had the same issues with my BJII phone. 3G in Asia but not in Minneapolis. Also I'm on the T-Mobile network with my unlocked BJII.

Annoying.

Guest khaosknight

Just so everyone knows, T-mobile is using a non-standard band (1700?) for their "3G" in the USA... so most existing 3G phones will not work on it.. I.E. Blackjack II...