I780 + Locked GPS

Guest J273

Guest shodanjr_gr

I have a greek unbranded version of the deviec, and the GPS seems to be working perfectly without the need for GPSGate or portsplitter...I set the GPS device settings (hardware port COM9, programs listen on COM8) and then search for the GPS inside destinator, and its there! Works great!

Guest panagiog
I have a greek unbranded version of the deviec, and the GPS seems to be working perfectly without the need for GPSGate or portsplitter...I set the GPS device settings (hardware port COM9, programs listen on COM8) and then search for the GPS inside destinator, and its there! Works great!

Confirm settings!!!

Guest shodanjr_gr
Confirm settings!!!

Also the GPS is pretty fast to get a lock, once you get the ephemeris file downloaded (just let it sit on your dashboard with a GPS software runnign for like 30 minutes) and it runs great.

Guest amitkarwal
Also the GPS is pretty fast to get a lock, once you get the ephemeris file downloaded (just let it sit on your dashboard with a GPS software runnign for like 30 minutes) and it runs great.

Friends,

I’ve had my i780 for nearly 2 months and I still haven’t managed to get the GPS working!

I bought the handset from Orange (but have since had it unlocked). Like most people I have it setup to hardware port COM9, programs listen on COM8.

Although applications seem to detect the GPS functionality, I can’t seem to get any satellites or GPS data.

1. On GPSGate the icon will always remain amber.
  2. GPS Test always remains in an amber state (GPS Starting up).
  3. Googlemaps will always remain on “Seeking GPS satellites (0)” before failing.
I know it seems like all I need to do is stand outside and wait for a satellite or two to appear. However, my phone never detects anything. I’ve even stood on bridges along the river Thames and found nothing! The phone works fine with my BT GPS which picks up satellite within seconds so its not like I’m missing them or anything.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Otherwise it’s a great phone and brilliant replacements for my treo 750v.

Guest mic_888
Friends,

I’ve had my i780 for nearly 2 months and I still haven’t managed to get the GPS working!

I bought the handset from Orange (but have since had it unlocked). Like most people I have it setup to hardware port COM9, programs listen on COM8.

Although applications seem to detect the GPS functionality, I can’t seem to get any satellites or GPS data.

3. Googlemaps will always remain on “Seeking GPS satellites (0)” before failing.
I know it seems like all I need to do is stand outside and wait for a satellite or two to appear. However, my phone never detects anything. I’ve even stood on bridges along the river Thames and found nothing! The phone works fine with my BT GPS which picks up satellite within seconds so its not like I’m missing them or anything.

Amitkarwal

Unfortunately I'm not able to help with your query although I saw a thread over on xda developers about using the GPS on the i780.  I was wondering though how you unlocked your i780 from Orange?  Did you do it yourself or did you get an unlock code from Orange?  Would you mind letting me know as I am expecting my Orange i780 to arrive next week.  That would help me out a lot :D

Thanks

mic

Guest mic_888
Amitkarwal

Unfortunately I'm not able to help with your query although I saw a thread over on xda developers about using the GPS on the i780.  I was wondering though how you unlocked your i780 from Orange?  Did you do it yourself or did you get an unlock code from Orange?  Would you mind letting me know as I am expecting my Orange i780 to arrive next week.  That would help me out a lot :D

Thanks

mic

Sorry - here's the link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=362872

Guest amitkarwal

Hi Mic,

Thanks for trying. It looks like someone else has just posted a similar issue on xda-developer (#35) with no answer thus far.

I went to Fonezone http://www.foneszone.co.uk/unlock_form/Samsung/i780.php it took about 3 weeks to get a code as the supplier was having delays. Things may have improved by now.

Could you do me a favour and post a note to let me know if your GPS works. I think I may need to accept my phone as being faulty and hope this issue is cleared up with a replacement :D

Guest munzab

im also expecting an orange i780 to drop in, but i live abroad. im wondering,how do we get it sim unlocked?the only reference im getting is the GPS unlock. Cheers for helping!

Guest mic_888
Hi Mic,

Thanks for trying. It looks like someone else has just posted a similar issue on xda-developer (#35) with no answer thus far.

I went to Fonezone http://www.foneszone.co.uk/unlock_form/Samsung/i780.php it took about 3 weeks to get a code as the supplier was having delays. Things may have improved by now.

Could you do me a favour and post a note to let me know if your GPS works. I think I may need to accept my phone as being faulty and hope this issue is cleared up with a replacement :D

Great thanks for replying!  I'll check out Fonezone once my phone arrives (looks like it's going to be Friday) - I'll see if I can get the GPPS working - will update here.  Maybe I'll need to app unlock the phone too - I'll see.

Munzab - the phone is too new to get a free workaround for the sim unlock.  The only other way I can think of at the moment is to flash the Samsung original ROM to the phone -I did this with my HTC Touch (flashed with cooked ROM - which was locked to T-Mobile.  However I don't really want to do this yet as I want to play around with the phone first.  

Guest mic_888
Hi Mic,

This may help - someone got their GPS working (but it involved flashing the radio):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=2111995

Guest matt1971
Friends,

Hi,

Heres my setup.

Received my Orange i780 on Friday. The GPS system I use is Route 66. I havent unlocked the phone or re-flashed the radio etc.

The GPS didnt work straight out of the box.

I set the GPS to Program port GPD1 and Hardware port to COM9 at 4800 baud rate.

I had to install GPSGate. Dont use the Wizard to find the input. I manually added the input as WM GPS (Its listed at the bottom) This is the only one that will work on the i780.

For the output - I only have GPSGate Direct and the virtual com I added. This virtual com was to share with NMEA applications.

With these settings my GPSgate icon turns green quite quick (The most I have waited is 5 minutes) but to make sure all is working OK, its probably best if you try it with a clear sky and not inside or near tall buildings etc.

As soon as GPSgate is green - I then launch Route66 and it works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Guest munzab
Great thanks for replying! I'll check out Fonezone once my phone arrives (looks like it's going to be Friday) - I'll see if I can get the GPPS working - will update here. Maybe I'll need to app unlock the phone too - I'll see.

Munzab - the phone is too new to get a free workaround for the sim unlock. The only other way I can think of at the moment is to flash the Samsung original ROM to the phone -I did this with my HTC Touch (flashed with cooked ROM - which was locked to T-Mobile. However I don't really want to do this yet as I want to play around with the phone first.

thanks.

any particular sites recommended over others?in terms of speed of getting codes?i dont think at this stage money is an object. want to use it....

Guest mic_888
thanks.

any particular sites recommended over others?in terms of speed of getting codes?i dont think at this stage money is an object. want to use it....

Hi Munzab

I emailed Fonezone yesterday and received an email back today - they said they could return the unlock code within 5 days.  I think it was £19.95 on their website for a Samung Orange unlock.  I'm still undecided as to whether to flash the radio or get a code....

Guest mic_888
Hi Munzab

I emailed Fonezone yesterday and received an email back today - they said they could return the unlock code within 5 days.  I think it was £19.95 on their website for a Samung Orange unlock.  I'm still undecided as to whether to flash the radio or get a code....

Just an update - I received my new i780 yesterday evening after work.  I tried a few shops in London to unlock the phone but they all said it was too new and that they would be able to do it in a few weeks.  I was about to flash the phone but then thought I wantt o play with it first so I decided to pay for an unlock code at Foneszone  (not Fonezone).  Anyway I ordered the code last night before I went to bed and this morning I had the code in my inbox!

Tried it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing I had to do after that was configure my GPRS settings and delete all the Ornage settings.

I'll try out the GPS later when I go out.

Guest mic_888

Ok - I'm having trouble trying to get the GPS to work - googlemaps just says 'seeking satellites' and never finds any and Garmin finds the right COM port, and says 'aquiring satellites' but then says that the GPS is off.

Amitkarwal - did you manage to sort yours out?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest david_inuk

I've got an Orange I780 and I'finally ve managed to get TomTom working with the help of GPSGate. The other two programs wouldn't work.

The only issue I still have is that it still takes ages for a first fix, around 4-5 minutes!! It's very frustrating. I have the same problem with Google Maps, even without using GPSGate.

Can anybody help!!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest BluntMan

I'm hopefully getting one of these soon. I'm going to have to unlock it for another network, but that shouldn't be too much trouble if I pay to get it done. My question is, if I use GPS will I have to pay for some sort of data transfer like I would to use the internet. I know it's a daft question but the reason I'm getting this one is for the Wi-Fi because I have no data service.

Guest sikhcentral

This is a bit confusing but are people having problems with gps detection on orange branded phones?I am considering buying a new sim free samsung i780 from expansys that is an original samsang. Would I have problems with GPS using tomtom if I bought this phone?

Thanks.

Guest munzab

not really. im using a sim free one from clove, tomtom worked with the following:

start>settings>system>gps >

first tab: program port: com 8

second tab: hardware port: com 9

tomtom: gps settings:

other nmea gps receiver, 4800, com 8.

that actually worked. make sure u are outside, the gps in samsung takes ages to find something. ive moved on to garmin xt as i got bored with tomtom now (using for the past 2-3 years)....

Guest dgtel2
This is a bit confusing but are people having problems with gps detection on orange branded phones?I am considering buying a new sim free samsung i780 from expansys that is an original samsang. Would I have problems with GPS using tomtom if I bought this phone?

Thanks.

Go and try NavNGo iGO8. The latest version is 8.0.0.44366. It works automatically. It will autodetect the correct port for you. I'm dumping Garmin MXT. :D