Official S710 ROM update released by HTC

Guest yrreP

Guest mstephenson

Could anyone give me some help with this please? I've never upgraded a rom before so i'm a bit nervous (or quite possibly paranoid :)) about doing it. I noticed the HTC site says

''Please note that this upgrade will erase any data stored on the device.

Please back up your data first before upgrading your device.''

I know it says it'll delete all data on the device, but is there anything that I really need to make sure is backed up? Anything really important?

Guest dheerajk27

Even I was doing it for the first time, and was a bit nervous. But, there is nothing that really needed to be worried about. If you are okay with getting all personal data (Contacts, Calendar etc.) erased, then go ahead with it. In my case, I sync all my data with my PC everyday.

But, otherwise you don't need to be worried about anything. As after this upgrade, you will have the phone, as if you have just bought. To be precise, it is more like you have done a hard reset. But again, at the end of it, you have the latest ROM inyour device, which has been performing better than the previous one, in my case at least.

Could anyone give me some help with this please? I've never upgraded a rom before so i'm a bit nervous (or quite possibly paranoid :) ) about doing it. I noticed the HTC site says

''Please note that this upgrade will erase any data stored on the device.

Please back up your data first before upgrading your device.''

I know it says it'll delete all data on the device, but is there anything that I really need to make sure is backed up? Anything really important?

Edited by dheerajk27

Guest mstephenson
Even I was doing it for the first time, and was a bit nervous. But, there is nothing that really needed to be worried about. If you are okay with getting all personal data (Contacts, Calendar etc.) erased, then go ahead with it. In my case, I sync all my data with my PC everyday.

But, otherwise you don't need to be worried about anything. As after this upgrade, you will have the phone, as if you have just bought. To be precise, it is more like you have done a hard reset. But again, at the end of it, you have the latest ROM inyour device, which has been performing better than the previous one, in my case at least.

Thanks for that, you've given me the confidence to give it a try when I get home tonight :) I plan to sync anyways to back-up my data, but say I forgot or it didn't work, should I be making a note of anything apart from contacts? (calendar I don't need to do because I never use it!)

Also, I noticed someone mentioned something about a Windows Live Upgrade in this rom, just wondered what the difference is?

Guest Rolandhurt01

I just did a hard reset before I did the upgrade as I had issues with getting the RUU to run properly and I had got all my contacts backed up in Outlook, just lost a few txt messages as I had got an issue where Jeyo Companion would disconect from my phone as soon as I had started a backup. My phone seems alot faster and more stable than with the ROM that it originally shipped with. Wish I could find a cooked version of this ROM that includes the HTC Live homescreen as it would save time after a hard reset as I would not have to keep re-installing it.

Roland

owziee:

Please do a screenshot, i dont see any new icons :)

I'm sorry I forgot about this... I'll post a screenshot later today...

Btw... I've also noticed it's now possible to edit the "my texts" thing in sms... I don't think that was possible before, only on PPC if I'm not wrong. It feels like battery life have increased aswell. Was browsing for hours via wifi last night and the battery didn't drain nearly as fast as it used to do.

Another thing I'm not completely sure about if it was there before... I've noticed it's possible to import favorite urls from ie when composing an MMS... Maybe I just didn't notice that before?

Here's what I've found so far (To sum it up).

1. New version of Windows Live.

2. Office Mobile 6.1

3. Smaller text in sms editor.

4. Connection Setup wizard.

5. Possibility to edit the "my texts" in sms.

6. It's now possible to manually add words to the xT9 dictionary by pressing up on the D-pad while typing.

7. Some new icons in the phonebook. (I guess it comes with the updated Live Messenger).

8. It feels like the battery life have improved (I'm not completely sure though...).

Edited by owziee

Guest Rolandhurt01

Btw... I've also noticed it's now possible to edit the "my texts" thing in sms... I don't think that was possible before, only on PPC if I'm not wrong. It feels like battery life have increased aswell. Was browsing for hours via wifi last night and the battery didn't drain nearly as fast as it used to do.

Another thing I'm not completely sure about if it was there before... I've noticed it's possible to import favorite urls from ie when composing an MMS... Maybe I just didn't notice that before?

2. Office Mobile 6.1

6. It's now possible to manually add words to the xT9 dictionary.

7. Some new icons in the phonebook. (I guess it comes with the updated Live Messenger).

8. It feels like the battery life have improved (I'm not completely sure though...).

Battery life does seem to have improved over the original ROM, maybe it is due to the fact that the ROM seems to be smaller than the original ROM that shipped with the phone.

Roland

Guest mstephenson

2. Office Mobile 6.1

6. It's now possible to manually add words to the xT9 dictionary.

Owziee, What's different about the new version of Windows Live?

Is it like reformatting/installing new windows on a pc or more like a service pack (replace system files only)?

Im wondering if all added applications and settings will be lost (most of my applications were installed directly with a .cab on the mobile - not activesync)? Configurations (ie speedial configuration, wireless networks), Flash hack, etc. What about stuff installed on storage card?

Thanks!

Guest wizgnome
Is it like reformatting/installing new windows on a pc or more like a service pack (replace system files only)?

Im wondering if all added applications and settings will be lost (most of my applications were installed directly with a .cab on the mobile - not activesync)? Configurations (ie speedial configuration, wireless networks), Flash hack, etc. What about stuff installed on storage card?

Thanks!

Its just like reformatting/installing new windows on a PC (You get the same if you do a hard reset on the phone)

You will loose everything stored on the device - The storage card is not affected - you could remove it as an extra precaution before flashing.

You will need to re-install any application which makes registry changes - even if they are on the storage card - they might work without a re-install but its not guranteed.

I made a copy of \Application Data\Home \Program Files & \windows\Start Menu (as I had changed it a lot) before re-flashing mine.

After the re-flash I re-installed all the applications from the cab files I had saved on my pc from the time I first got the programs.

Then I copied back the folders I had saved.

This got it back up and running as before including any data from the apps which was lost during the rom update.

I also ran sprite backup before flashing - but I did not want to restore it as it might mess up the registry - but usefull for getting back any files found to be missing later.

In total it took me a day to get the phone back to how it was previously.

The phone seems to be much more stable with the update - including the fact that previously I had to remove the SD card before a re-boot - now it boots op without problems.

Ok ombre33 here's the screenshot you wanted to see.... I'm sorry that it took so long, I guess I'm lazy...

newiconek5.jpg

Nothing special, just that I didn't have this icon before... I have it on a few contacts in my phonebook after the rom upgrade, I guess it comes with the new updated Windows Live version...

Guest mstephenson

Just been trying to install this and it's not working :) I've logged into the HTC site, got the page for downloading it, got as far as selecting 'Rom Update WWE' and then 'HTC Europe' and clicked download, but then nothing happens. Anyone got any ideas what i'm doing wrong? Could well be something obvious!

Guest prajith

there is an awesome new feature in the new ROM

go to the contacts and keep the down arrow key pressed and you will have a popup of alphabets.

he alphabets scroll up or down and when you leave the arrow key it will bring the contact list starting with that alphabet.

edit:

removed the image, it somehow got screwed :)

p.s - how do i upload images to modaco and display them (dont want to use external servers)

Edited by prajith
attempted image insert - don't think it likes bitmaps

Guest Randolph
there is an awesome new feature in the new ROM

[...] you will have a popup of alphabets. [...]

Hi prajith,

that's not a new feature.

It is there at least since WM 2003. Perhaps you never kept the down arrow key pressed long enough... :-)

Anyway: it's a nice feature and perhaps some people don't know about it yet.

So let's keep pressing the down arrow key!

Greetings from Cologne / Germany

Randolph

Guest dwostmann
Mr. Prajit, it looks like, initially though you weren't able to view the ROM update at the htc.com website, you were able to download the same somehow. Please help, as how you managed the same. I am still unable to view any sort of information out there.

Hi All, I have the English update file available but I'm not sure if I can post this up or not? Admin's please clarify how/if I should do this. I installed it today and there are two items I noticed right off the bat that are fixed. First being the windows update is working (as noted above) but there were none available upon checking. Also, it now has an auto config setting to download the network settings automatically (in my case it's ATT) Not sure this is new but on my original ROM this was not the case. I manualy configured not only my network settings but also MMS. So far so good.

On a side note, I have the overclocking setup FINALLY working with the Tornado program and I've been screaming at 264mhz for about a week without issue. What else has been offered in this latest ROM upgrade?

Guest Disco Stu

You cannot post the file here as an attachment.

You cannot post a link to the file hosted on an alternative site such as Rapidshare.

You can post a link to the official download page at HTC.

You can ask yourself why HTC require you to provide an HTC IMEI before you access the file.

You can mention the names Google and XDAdevelopers

:)

Guest dearsina

I'm not sure why Modaco has these (expletives removed) rules, and it's a shame that it's bending over backwards (or forwards more like it) to people who forget that if someone wants to get something that's on the internet, they'll find it, *particularly* if you work for Google or XDAdev.

It's not like they'll log on to Modaco, find that a link to the file on rapidshare has been removed (without removing the actual file name), and stop their search there! Besides, anybody who has an interest in this file, will be able to get it for free from htc themselves!

Anyway, ranting wasn't the reason I posted, I wanted to know, because a couple of people mentioned that you can now add words to the t9 dictionary, I was wondering if you could *remove* words from the dictionary, because that option doesn't seem to be (currently) available on the Vox.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help me ! I have registered my product at HTC's page but the update aint listed.. I have tried the methods that people here suggest but none of them work..

What can i do? Where can i get this rom ?

Can anyone help me ! I have registered my product at HTC's page but the update aint listed.. I have tried the methods that people here suggest but none of them work..

What can i do? Where can i get this rom ?

You could search google for RUU_Vox_HTC_WWE_1.34.405.1_4.1.13.54_03.10.90_Ship.exe and take if from there :)

Edited by Maupie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Kannan Raghupathy
s710.png
HTC have released a ROM update for the S710 Smartphone!

The release, dated 1/28/2008 and entitled 'Operating System [ROM] Update' is avaiable for download in the e-Club section of http://www.htc.com/support/support.htm. Registration is required with a valid S710 IMEI, and the update is only for HTC branded devices (i.e. not the SPV E650 etc).

The HTC site rather vaguely lists the following details for the update...

Which isn't the most descriptive ever <_<

If you've installed the update, let us know how you find it.

[Edit by Paul (MVP): I'm receiving reports the de-Brander causes issues with the Comm Manager in the new build, i'll check this out asap!]

-------------------------

Hi,

The above link does not seems to be working. Is there any other links where I can get my mobile updates for HTC_S710.

Regards

Kannan