Another Stupid question- this time about wi fi

Guest 246810

I was wondering if anyone can instruct me on how to set up wifi on my MDA Vario III (T mobile Network). I'm interested as I'd like to connect to hot spots.

As I'm on a flext contract, is it free or do I have to pay a fixed fee per month?

There is no need for any settings.just go to com manager and click on wifi.It will connect automatically but make sure you are in a place where you have service.

Guest hotphil

I think I read somewhere that T-Mobile are including WiFi access to the hotspots they have contracts with. Thing to do is activate WiFi in Comm Manager when near a hotspot, wait till you get a prompt asking if you'd like to connect, select yes, then use Comm Manager to turn the Phone off, fire up an application that will use data transfer (Internet Explorer would be a good test) and see if you can browse to web pages. If yes, then you're using WiFi. You could then turn the Phone function back on and be confident data will be going via WiFi where possible. You'll probably also notice the change in status icons in the top toolbar when using WiFi.

I use WiFi very little, so perhaps someone else can confirm if with T-Mobile you need to connect to each hotspot individually? I imagine probably so?

Guest shootydogthing

I think he means T-Mobile's own hotspots. I don't know, but I think if you get Web'n'walk Plus or Max you will get free hotspot use... typed on my kaiser in the middle of an English lesson. it won't let me have empty lines EDIT: this was a reply to the second post, not the third

Edited by shootydogthing

I think he means T-Mobile's own hotspots. I don't know, but I think if you get Web'n'walk Plus or Max you will get free hotspot use... typed on my kaiser in the middle of an English lesson. it won't let me have empty lines EDIT: this was a reply to the second post, not the third

Uhmm... shootydogthing, I'm a 'she' not 'he'

And yes, I've read both on coolsmartphone.com and mobiholics.com that T mobile will give you access to wifi hotspots free if you've signed up to the minimun of Web n Walk plus.

Thanks

There is no need for any settings.just go to com manager and click on wifi.It will connect automatically but make sure you are in a place where you have service.

Thanks for this

I think I read somewhere that T-Mobile are including WiFi access to the hotspots they have contracts with. Thing to do is activate WiFi in Comm Manager when near a hotspot, wait till you get a prompt asking if you'd like to connect, select yes, then use Comm Manager to turn the Phone off, fire up an application that will use data transfer (Internet Explorer would be a good test) and see if you can browse to web pages. If yes, then you're using WiFi. You could then turn the Phone function back on and be confident data will be going via WiFi where possible. You'll probably also notice the change in status icons in the top toolbar when using WiFi.

I use WiFi very little, so perhaps someone else can confirm if with T-Mobile you need to connect to each hotspot individually? I imagine probably so?

I'll try this method as well to confirm that I'm connected to wifi

Also, how close do you have to be to a tmobile wifi spot to get speeds quicker than normal web and walk on T Mobile UK, or just to access it?

Also, is there a difference in speeds for customers who have web and walk and web and walk plus? Whats the difference in speeds if you connect your laptop to the internet with the two of these via internet sharing?

Guest shootydogthing

And yes, I've read both on coolsmartphone.com and mobiholics.com that T mobile will give you access to wifi hotspots free if you've signed up to the minimun of Web n Walk plus.

Thanks

sorry. didn't realise *is embarrasse*

sorry. didn't realise *is embarrasse*

Alls forgiven :) Not aimed at you, but there are actually still some men who are shocked to find out that women own pocket pc's...

Hey, as far as weird people to own pocketPCs go I'm pretty high up there, I got my Kaiser as a 15th birthday present last week :D

Lol. Happy birthday :) For someone so young, you do have a fair bit of knowledge on devices.

Guest shootydogthing

That's what almost a year of following Coolsmartphone.com religiously does to you :)

I rewrote the Portable Devices section of the Int. 2 computing textbook so well my teachers are using mine instead of the official one :D

Thanks

:) What? Women own pocket pc's :D

Only joking! Glad to see more on the site :D

Edited by blewer

That's what almost a year of following Coolsmartphone.com religiously does to you :D

I rewrote the Portable Devices section of the Int. 2 computing textbook so well my teachers are using mine instead of the official one :D

Not that I know what the last sentence of your posts means, but it sounds very intellectually changelling :)

I'm still a novice on Pocket PC's but I'm very good with non tecnical aspects of PC's and laptops, i.e. how to get around most programmes, driers ect.

One area I master with Pocket PC's is getting new devices whenever I mess up my phone, by some careful manipulation of my warranty terms and conditions and insurance company. Now that I excel in

:) What? Women own pocket pc's :D

Only joking! Glad to see more on the site :D

Lol! And thanks for the welcome

Edited by 246810

Guest shootydogthing
Not that I know what the last sentence of your posts means, but it sounds very intellectually changelling :)

I'm still a novice on Pocket PC's but I'm very good with non tecnical aspects of PC's and laptops, i.e. how to get around most programmes, driers ect.

One area I master with Pocket PC's is getting new devices whenever I mess up my phone, by some careful manipulation of my warranty terms and conditions and insurance company. Now that I excel in

Lol. A very useful skill in life.

And I just love those PC driers, they're so useful :D

Now that we have all learnt that there are actually women who own pocket pc’s and utilising the art of deception is a very useful skill in life, perhaps anyone can inform me on the proximity I must be within a T Mobile hotspot to receive good wifi speeds?

(I’ve just noticed I’ve descended into using smileys. And to think I promised myself I would never be one of ‘those people’ who added an annoying face to my messages <:shudders:>

Guest shootydogthing

I don't personally have experience of this, but like any WiFi network it depends on the surroundings... the buildings and stuff. it's probable just like any other hotspot, but I don't know, I could be wrong.

there's also the fact that there may well be other people using the bandwidth.

Guest Samsonite
Now that we have all learnt that there are actually women who own pocket pc’s and utilising the art of deception is a very useful skill in life, perhaps anyone can inform me on the proximity I must be within a T Mobile hotspot to receive good wifi speeds?

(I’ve just noticed I’ve descended into using smileys. And to think I promised myself I would never be one of ‘those people’ who added an annoying face to my messages <:shudders:>

WiFi access points or HotSpots are no different to your average home broadband wireless router. Most service stations and hotels will have a number of them dotted about any given site to make sure you can stay connected throughout the location. It should be possible to wander about a WiFi hotel and stay connected but I've only been to a few where that actually works.... but i digress..

A single access point, WiFi hotspot will have an effective coverage of usually not more than a 30m radius. sometimes you can be lucky and be maybe 100m away but it all depends on the environment. WiFi operates at 2.4GHz and that means it doesn't penetrate things like walls and floorspace very well.

WiFi technology will connect your PDA to the access point at up to 54Mbit (assuming 802.11g) but your internet surfing speed will be no faster than the broadband link feeding the access point. This means that you may not actually get faster speeds than your HSDPA3G handset can deliver using its cellphone based connectivity. If you are on a WnW tariff then you may not have any concerns over the amount of data you chomp thru either so the whole use of HotSpots might be unnecesary anyway!! WiFi will eat your battery whereas your 3G based connection will be kinder to your battery.

does this help? :)

Thanks Samsonite and Shootydogthing. I always holding out for the possibility that I could access a wifi spot a mile away. What ever was I thinking?

Looks like I won't be upgrading to web and walk plus now but sticking with my basic web and walk. Now I just need to find an IM application with VOIP with small data usage that I can sneakily use without T Mobile knowing as I'd be in breach of my terms and conditions.

Guest Samsonite

you're welcome!! I use Fring for an IM client... I dont use VoIP at all so cant comment on Fring's capability there.. I understand Palringo comes highly recommended.

And we all promise not to snitch on you to T-Mobile!!!