HTC UMPC launch 'Shifts' into high gear (groan)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
shift.png
I'm pretty sure this wasn't there before... the HTC support site has been updated with a whole bunch of information about the HTC Shift, the forthcoming Vista UMPC / Windows Mobile SnapVue Hybrid from HTC.

As well as a bunch of 'e-Learning' around the device (including detail around how to use SnapVue and some very detailed walk throughs), the 'Users Manual' and 'Read Me First' are available for download, together with (strangely) a trial version of Microsoft Office.

Interested? Head on over to the HTC Shift page at HTC support!

My question is... who is planning to snap up the circa £850 device? Yes it runs Vista, WinMo-ish and has HSDPA built in, but that's a fair chunk of readies for the device IMHO, and I wonder if the massively delayed launch means it may have missed the boat a little? Is your name down on the waiting list?

P

Guest juxt@pose
shift.png
I'm pretty sure this wasn't there before... the HTC support site has been updated with a whole bunch of information about the HTC Shift, the forthcoming Vista UMPC / Windows Mobile SnapVue Hybrid from HTC.

As well as a bunch of 'e-Learning' around the device (including detail around how to use SnapVue and some very detailed walk throughs), the 'Users Manual' and 'Read Me First' are available for download, together with (strangely) a trial version of Microsoft Office.

Interested? Head on over to the HTC Shift page at HTC support!

My question is... who is planning to snap up the circa £850 device? Yes it runs Vista, WinMo-ish and has HSDPA built in, but that's a fair chunk of readies for the device IMHO, and I wonder if the massively delayed launch means it may have missed the boat a little? Is your name down on the waiting list?

P

eerr NO!

Kaiser does....

Laptop does.......

cost is ?

ease of use? Convergence? Right tool for the right job?

I think I have more questions than answers for this, but hey looks ok, reminds me of an iphone without the hype market appeal.

What is the market for this device? Anyone.

Edited by juxt@pose

Guest hotphil

I know someone who's thinking of getting one to replace a small tablet PC that got nicked. Useful for OneNote and stuff in meetings, but for me, I really struggle to think I need one. Too big for a pocket, yet not powerful enough to want to lug around. But if someone wants to give me one to test, I'm sure I could find a use for it - even if only for a bit of browsing on the sofa whilst missus watches whatever pap it is she's into at the moment on the telly.

Guest ArcaneShark

I'm seriously considering this. It is the form factor that appeals to me especially its size of screen. I am interested in using this as a device for reading my vast collection of e-books, which are not comfortable reading long term on PC/Laptop due to position. Laptops get very warm on your legs. But have a device the similar size to a book would be ideal. It would also be great to use a a tablet for taking notes.

It's getting very common to see people wandering around with laptops shoved under their arms going off to meetings and in-corridor discussions. This device would be the ideal size to carry around an office with docs to show and be able to take notes.

It's biggest two faults that I see at the moment are :

1) Its ridiculous battery life. Advertised on HTC's own website of "Up to 2 hrs" in Vista. Now I have read people with demo models managed to get between 30 mins and an extra hour more. I'm hoping if the majority/all the connectivity is disabled that you may be able to get more. Also, I'm wondering whether the vast array of fixes in Vista SP1 may be able to improve battery life. I read that it has "benefits" for laptop batteries, so here's hoping :-)

2) Resolution of the screen. Come on this is a 7" screen but only natively 800x480. Just look at devices like the WiBrain which has a 4.8" screen but native 1024x600. I'm sure the 800x480 is good enough for my intentions, but it just doesn't seem right.

Additional issues I am aware of are :

Out of the supplied disk space, there is not much left for usable space due to Vista footprint and the supplied auto-recovery feature which can rebuild your system for you.

A passive screen as opposed to an active one, meaning writing can be obscured by a touch of the hand on the screen.

With all the above said, I am still a potential customer.

Guest Loconinja

The price isn't that bad when you consider the fact that a Kaiser contract-free costs £470.

I downloaded the user manual and i am a little confused by "SnapVUE". It looks like Windows Mobile. Are HTC running a WM emulator inside Vista? Why?

Guest Monolithix

To allow quick access to your email and the web without having to boot into the full Vista OS envirnonment.

Cost - its more laptop than phone, so it falls into comparisons with devices such as Asus's similarly specced £230 EEE PC

Guest flaphead

you know I was and maybe still if they can fix the battery issues.

I updated my Ameo (http://blogs.flaphead.dns2go.com/archive/2008/01/10/htc-advantage-ameo-athena-project-black-dual-by-pk-3-0.aspx) and that make the Ameo a load better, but I think it is still missing something.

I don't know what .. .but I have a feeling that the Shift may provide my idea mobile device.

BUT I want to have a play before I buy as it's not cheap!

Guest xorangefirex

Oh this device...it has been a constant fixture in my mind for the past few months. I am a student and I think that this is an "interesting" device. It just has so much, yet where is the market. I could save for this device and purchase it. Following this I would probably vomit on the hour for the next few months over how much I just spent. There must be some planned market for this device, it would have never made pre-production otherwise. What it is, I don't know, but if they find the target market, which will be minimal, there will be a large breakdown of that market into people who can afford it, and an even larger breakdown into people willing to pay the amount for it. The problem lies in the fact that it costs more than an average laptop, but only brings minimal features to the table when it comes to surpassing a normal laptop (size and HSDPA). It was a great idea, but all I can say to HTC is good luck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.