Becoming confused.....

Guest crazyc

So here I am, I have my PAC code from Orange and was all set to go to O2/Vodafone and sign up for a tytn II. (Upgrading from my M3100)

(Background - Great data tariff on orange unrenewable apparently, and no Tmob reception)

Then all this stuff about the video drivers and lag on the touchscreen comes out.

Do I just get myself a new battery and live with my hermes on a sim only contract for a year?

It is the comments about how it performs worse than the Tytn that worry me. I would settle for a Tytn with GPS and a bit more memory. As long as the Tytn II is at least that, I will go for it.

Please please please remove these doubts from my mind ....or if it worth going sim only for a year as there is a tytn III coming then let me know.....(Have not heard of any such phone)

Guest hotphil

No complaints from me. But then I don't watch videos. Everything else is fine. Get one from a supplier with a 14 day returns policy and see how you go.

Guest jimbouk

I had a Hermes (m3100) for a year.

I have now had a Kaiser (tytn2) for 6 months.

The Kaiser is better than the Hermes in every single way.

(I am not employed by HTC. I am not employed by a viral marketing company. I have no bias other than a lean towards providing an honest opinion. I do not subscribe to conspiracy theories that HTC supplied "souped-up" devices to reviewers. Other than PIE being a little slow - which is fine as I use Opera - the Kaiser is the best device I have ever owned.)

So here I am, I have my PAC code from Orange and was all set to go to O2/Vodafone and sign up for a tytn II. (Upgrading from my M3100)

(Background - Great data tariff on orange unrenewable apparently, and no Tmob reception)

Then all this stuff about the video drivers and lag on the touchscreen comes out.

Do I just get myself a new battery and live with my hermes on a sim only contract for a year?

It is the comments about how it performs worse than the Tytn that worry me. I would settle for a Tytn with GPS and a bit more memory. As long as the Tytn II is at least that, I will go for it.

Please please please remove these doubts from my mind ....or if it worth going sim only for a year as there is a tytn III coming then let me know.....(Have not heard of any such phone)

Hi

I'm glad this came up as we're in the same position. I just got the Touch last month and its great, I love it. Now my husbands contract is up and he's been looking at the Touch Dual. When I rang o2 to cancel his contract they pointed out the faults and suggested their own Xda Stella, which I *think* is the Kaiser in a different dress.

So my question is two fold 1) is the problem that bad? (he wont be using video, but needs the phone to be quick in day to day operation) and 2) Is the Stella the same as the Kaiser? if so, will it have the same faults?

Any help/advice appreciated :)

Thanks

Liz

Guest shootydogthing

The Stellar is the Kaiser, it comes without HTC Home but that can be easily installed, and as a bonus over T-Mobile and Orange, it comes with the wired remote, allowing you to have handsfree with good headphones, or control music.

And yes, the issues are there. I have my kaiser, and the only time I see a problem is if I try and close a program AND go back to portrait mode at the same time. That takes a second or too.

Guest andrewkeith5

in my first 4 days of ownership i have to say the kaiser is really very quick, especially compared to some of the other phones i have had (m600i, 6680, 6600).

and from the complaints my dad keeps giving me about his xda exec, the kaiser is about a billion time more reliable:p

screen changes can take longer than you want though, but i *think* these can be sped up by turning the sliding sounds off

i don't really think theres any reason for anybody to be worried about the kaiser. its an excellent phone, an excellent PDA, and IMO the best phone on the market (albeit a tad on the chubby side). It does what it says it does, and it excels at most of that.

Edited by andrewkeith5

Guest gs_london

I have both a Hermes (used for about 14 months) and also a Kaiser since November.

I'd say its definitely worth going for if you are not a video user (my Creative Labs Zen does my multimedia).

There is only one thing that niggles me about the Kaiser

They keyboard seems to be not as good. The size of the keys is a little smaller and the feedback a bit more stiffer than the Hermes. I could pretty much rattle an A4 document on the Hermes without errors but on the Kaiser I tend to hit the neighbouring keys a lot.

Also the two function keys above the keyboard seem a little too close and I have to slow down my typing when going anywhere near the keys 'R' 'T' 'I' AND 'O' as I have sent a few half completed texts and emails.

Other than that I do recommend you go for it.

I have yet to find a good reason to tilt the screen but that's just me. I have a cradle that powers both devices so no need to have the Kaiser sitting on my desk resembling a mini pc.

Incidentally can anyone suggest a way of transplanting the keyboard from the Hermes onto the Kaiser?

If this were the case it would be my perfect device.