Outlook and POP3

Guest paulhbartlett

Guest paulhbartlett

Have just got a TyTN II on Vodfone (v1615). I have set it up to sync my work emails with the laptop. I have also set up a POP3 email account to check my work emails when not using the laptop. When it syncs it puts all my work emails in the outlook folder. When I send and receive on the phone using GPRS with the POP3 it puts the emails in the POP3 folder. Is there anyway you can get all the emails in the outlook folder?

Also when using the POP3 account on GPRS I have send.vodafone.net as the smpt setting which works fine. If I connect to my home wifi then it won't send. Is there a universal smpt setting that works on both GPRS and Wifi. If I change it then it doesn't work for GPRS

Any help greatfully received.

Guest RickDawson

doesn't your workplace have smpt on their server?

if there is, then that would be the one to use.

you could try the one of your home isp (they could though have it set to only work from their network, and so you may not be able to use it from voda)

long way round:

why not set up 2 acounts for the one address on your mobile, each using a different server to send.

Guest Webreaper

Why not set up a GMail account and use that? You can then have GMail pull the pop mail from your home and work account, and merge the two. It's smart enough to set the corret reply-to address depending on which account the email you're replying to was pulled in from. You then use GMail's storage, services and smtp account, from wifi or GPRS. :)

You could even use IMAP for your home email, set your home server up the same way, and have proper read/unread/folder synchronisation (although I believe the Gmail WM6 IMAP bug still hasn't been fixed by google).

Guest hotphil

Using GMail's SMTP server should work (and the IMAP bug is now reportedly fixed) for any account you set on the phone.

If you're syncing with a work laptop though you may want to consider doing Exchange ActiveSync on the phone rather than with Outlook - sync with your company's Exchange mail server directly rather than to the Outlook client. That way everything will be nicely synced/filed etc. Will depend on whether your Exchange administrator allows it....

Guest Webreaper
the IMAP bug is now reportedly fixed

Oooh, hadn't spotted that. Any links to confirmation of this?

I just logged into GMail settings and the IMAP option under "forwarding and POP" doesn't appear to be there on my account any more. It was there a few weeks ago (I tried it, and gave up when I came across the bug...). :)

Guest paulhbartlett

Thanks for the help....

I am only down loading work emails not home ones. It is a small company so hasn't got exchange just a 3rd party who hosts the emails.I set up the POP3 with their smpt but the phone won't send through GPRS or wifi. If I put the voda smpt in it works on GPRS but not on wifi.

I have 2 inboxes; the Outlook one which syncs with the laptop and the POP3. The outlook one lets me create emails but when you send it puts them in the laptop outbox. The POP3 one is collecting the same emails but is used when the phone isn't connected to the laptop (when I'm out and about). So when I send and receive the POP3 they go in the POP3 inbox and not the Outlook and when I sync with the laptop they go in the Outlook inbox and not the POP3 one. Am I making life difficult for no reason?!

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Yeah does sound complicated ... check to see if you can access your email via IMAP instead of pop3. This will keep it on the server and both desktop and phone will always be the same. Then when you have actioned an email you can archive it into a PST or delete it.